Thread: Looking for advice on darts

GtfsRock

Default Looking for advice on darts

Hey all,
    This is my first post on these forms. First let me say that I am definitely not a noob with herps. I keep a multitude of species, most being snakes, but I am looking to get out of snakes simply because of the space they require. I own some amphibs, like GTFs. Recently I have been looking into darts, specifically thumbs. I currently have an exo terra small high (12 in. x 12 in. x 18 in.) and an exo terra medium low (24 in. x 18 in. x 12 in.), both of which are empty. I was looking for a suggestion, which species of dart would be good for a first dart? I would also be looking to breed these darts, so would either of these cages be good for a breeding group? Also, how big are breeding groups? I will be graduating from 8th grade on the 30th so I will have enough money to get in to a species and get the proper equipment I would need, especially since I have the cages down.
    Any help you guys could provide would be greatly, greatly appreciated by this newbie!
    Thanks,
    Cody

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Looking for advice on darts

Welcome to FF Cody! Not a dart keeper but do know some can be kept in breeding groups (the medium low) and some only in pairs (the small high). Hopefully someone will chime in and recommend some dart beginner species. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome Cody .

Here is a nice article from http://www.joshsfrogs.com. It helped me a bunch when I got my Cobalts. Some darts prefer staying close to the ground and some are climbers. Size of them as adults will also determine the tank size you need. Thumbnails are of course tiny so a smaller tank is okay. It is also important to keep in mind how you plan to set-up your vivarium.

Here is the article http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/bl...efore-you-buy/. It has several links within it to help even more.

After you read it please let us know what you think. We love following along . Congrats on your choice of darts! They are a very rewarding species to have. Also keep in mind that some particular species are less shy than others. Joshsfrogs describes each type under the actual buying section. Click on one you like and it will tell you their overall personality types...shy/hides, outgoing/less fearful, etc. it will also tell you if they can be housed in pairs or in groups.

Hope to hear more soon! Welcome .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

DartEd

In the lower terrarium you could keep any type of tinctorius that tickles your fancy. Keep in mind there is some aggression issues so pairs are favorable although properly planted, more are possible. For a group for the larger tanks, leucomelas, or terribilis are the choice frog. In the 12 x 12 x 18 you could keep a pair of thumbnails such as imitators agar no more than two due to aggression. If you're looking for a group for the smaller tank, 3-4 ventrimaculatus now known as Amazonica would be good. Hope that helps

GtfsRock

Wow, thanks for the help guys. Another thing I was wondering is, if I were to go with the Dendrobates ventrimaculatus,(which I most likely will)The Josh's Frogs website says temps in mid to low 70s, but I live in a basement, where in the winter it drops to around 69. Would I still need heating, and if so how would I heat it without losing humidity? I am going to go to the expo in my area which is on sunday and see whether or not they even have any, and if so, a price range. Also, do you have to sex them by waiting until males are mature enough to call, or is there another way?
    Thanks again for all your help,
    Cody

7. This member thanks GtfsRock for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I use a UTH or Under Tank Heater placed on one side of the tank. My house temp in winter is set at 72-73'F and it keeps their 12x12x18" tank on one side at 76'F. There are different sized heat pads.

Males are best determined as adults when they start croaking. There are subtle other differences as they grow but it's sometimes hard to tell. Females tend to have more of a hunched back. Breeders are pretty good at telling their genders. You might be as to purchase a mated pair at the show. I have 2 female Dendrobates tinctorius cobalts.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

DartEd

Vents are a good thumbnail to start with. If you plant out a live tank, the lighting will elevate your tank temps about 5 degrees on average so a heater will not be necessary. A night time drop of ten degrees is acceptable for vents and other dart frogs. The real danger for dart frogs comes with higher temps. Ventrimaculatus especially being a lowland species, don't do very well with temps over 78 degrees. Maintain tank temps between 65-75 and you should be just fine. Humidity over 80%.

Sexing thumbnails isn't easy. Generally calling determines 100%male. Egg laying determines 100% certainty of female. Some accurate educated guesses can be made by body shape and size ( female gravid ) but 100%sex certainty is determined that way. Larger mature frogs can usually be sexed by experienced breeders and hobbyists.

Thread Information