Thread: Hey,eveyone, this thread is about my Amazon horned frog breeding process and several question I have

blackpiranha

Default Hey,eveyone, this thread is about my Amazon horned frog breeding process and several question I have

Hello,

This thread might be a little bit too long , but try to be patient ^_^.I have 6 adult amazon horned frog (2 female 4 male).last december I put two female frogs to aestivation for two month ( four males did not go aestivation). After the female woke up. I fed them heavily and put all of them into a rain chamber. Unfortunately , the males did not croak for mating (only when another frog press his back ,he will croak several time).though the male frogs did not call for mating, they still grab the females' back in the rain chamber system,but this process did not last long,only 30-40 minutes ,then the pair will seperate.It looks like the females unwilling the male frog grab her back, she will swim around or trying to jump out to get rid of the male. mating behavior happend randomly in both day and night, as I said before ,only last for 30-40 minutes, and no eggs laid!!!!

What is the problem , any suggestion? I have heard it is super hard to breed them in a natural way without hormone injection.Is it true?

I realize the female is skinny , may be they did not have eggs in their belly

In the pic, circled are femalesName:  DSC00080.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  87.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hey,eveyone, this thread is about my Amazon horned frog breeding process and several question I have

How old are your Cornuta?

Default Re: Hey,eveyone, this thread is about my Amazon horned frog breeding process and several question I have

It looks to me that you may have a young immature female, or they may be all males. I don't see much difference between all of them. If the one at the top right of the picture is in fact female, then like you said she needs to put on more weight.
    (SITE UNDER RECONSTRUCTION, LAUNCHING SOON!)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bailey View Post
    It looks to me that you may have a young immature female, or they may be all males. I don't see much difference between all of them. If the one at the top right of the picture is in fact female, then like you said she needs to put on more weight.
    Not only this, but it takes a 3 year prep time for the female to be ready to spawn.

Herpguy

I don't really know how current breeding projects are going, but I know most, if not all, captive bred cornuta have been produced using wild caught females that are already loaded with eggs.

Also, are you positive any of those are female? Looks like a completely male group to me.

blackpiranha

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bailey View Post
    Hey,I had insert a comparision picture of the two females and one of the adult male(the other three males is about the same size as the one in the middle) in my frog groups , you can see their size difference and the snout size difference.Name:  DSC00083.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  110.0 KB

blackpiranha

Quote Originally Posted by Herpguy View Post
    I don't really know how current breeding projects are going, but I know most, if not all, captive bred cornuta have been produced using wild caught females that are already loaded with eggs.

Also, are you positive any of those are female? Looks like a completely male group to me.
    look my recently uploaded pics ,its a comparision between the size of male and the "supposed female". The male will croak once you press his back several times, but the "supposed female" wont.

Nationality
    [United States]

Check for nuptial pads on the thumbs of each frog. Males will have dark spots on the inner most side of each thumb of a male frog. Females will not.

Thread Information