Thread: Mantella fecundity, life span, mortality... Call for Mantella conservation in wild

Nico

Default Mantella fecundity, life span, mortality... Call for Mantella conservation in wild

Dear all,

I am currently working as a trainee (Madagasikara Voakajy organisation) in the field of Conservation Biology in order to assess the effect of Mantella pet trade in Madagascar.

For our model, we need reliable estimates of fecundity, life span and mortality rates but original data from wild populations are missing. This is why we are attempting to build a model with data from captivity.

Then, we need you! Does anyone agree with using his data for our study? Even if you only have one of the needed data, be welcome!

We are interested in any Mantella species (maybe except laevigata, for which the natural history is particular).

The needed data are :- the exact number of eggs per clutch per female per female (laid eggs in one time, we are interested even if you only counted it once)
    - the life span of all your specimens (age of adult frogs at their death, how many died at 1 year old, at 2, 3, 4...)

- the number of tadpoles per clutch(eggs giving a living tadpole; or the opposite : the number of "dead eggs")
    - the number of tadpoles reaching adult stage (or tadpoles dying before adult stage)
    Please note that mortality due to unfortunate events (like "frog killed by the cat" or "power cut, all my frogs died of cold"...) cannot be taken into account in the analysis.

If anyone know someone / a zoo / aquaria / any institution who would provide such a kind of data, any information welcome!
    If you have any questions on the data, the study, myself, please go ahead!

Many thanks in advance,
    Nico

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Geo

Default Re: Mantella fecundity, life span, mortality... Call for Mantella conservation in wild

I have Bronze Mantellas set up in their own habitat and hoping to eventually breed. They were originally an animal rescue from a pet store who had not taken caer of them properly and they were on death's doorstep but over the past few months they have been doing very well. If they do breed I will gladly provide any data that you should require. I am hoping to buy from breeders a few more to establish an active colony as right now I only have two.

Nico

Default Re: Mantella fecundity, life span, mortality... Call for Mantella conservation in wild

Many thanks Geo,
    Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi Nico,

I have a large collection of the genus personally, at least 7 species and plan to keep all 16 one day. I do breed my individuals for conservation (Offspring I plan to solely enter zoological collections) so wouldn't mind helping out slightly with the information you are looking for! lol

I do normally record such data anyway but haven't really had the time recently so I will give you fresh and new information when I can I am also planning on going to Madagascar next year to see several species of the Mantella genus in the wild too, for studying and photographing. So would be interested in finding out more about the work you're doing and the localities (over PM of course)

Good luck,

Thread Information