Thread: Is My ACF Prolapsing?

Default Is My ACF Prolapsing?

Hi, I adopted an African Clawed Frog from a family friend on short notice yesterday and today I noticed this small red lump on her clocoa. I'm not if she is prolapsing because I saw her poop after the redness appeared, but it is still there. If she is prolapsing, what should I do? It isn't that big, so will it return to normal. Could she be prolapsing because she's stressed out? When I first noticed it she was swimming back and forth at the front of the tank and the filter was really, really loud. I turned it off and she began to explore more of the tank. She might be imparted, but I don't know when she last ate or how she was housed before I got her. For all I know, I'm just over-reacting, (Like the time I thought my WTF had red leg because her legs were a very light shade of pink).Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Is My ACF Prolapsing?

I almost forgot, here's a picture. Hopefully it helps.

Name:  DSCN8050[1].jpg
Views: 337
Size:  61.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

From pic I can't tell if it's a prolapse. Also, you stated frog pooped, so that make's me think it's not. A prolapse normally goes back in by itself, unless a problem like an intestinal infection develops or causes it. Because your tank is newly set-up; think observation is good step now rather than adding any medications while tank is cycling. I read your other thread and saw a pic of tank so imagine it's a new set-up. Just to double check, you used de-chorinated water, right?

Your new tank will cycle itself in around 30 days. You can cut that time in half by using a product that adds essential bacterias like Seachem's Stability. Also, if you have an established disease free tank can move some media into new tank filter but there is always a risk with that. During the stabilization period the Ammonia will peak and then go down and then Nitrites will peak. Then both ammonia and Nitrite will reach zero and your tank is cycled.

Your frog will be exposed to those bad chemicals; so observe it daily and note any changes in eating, swimming or pooping behavior. Here is link to article discussing several ACF diseases to give you idea what to look for: African Clawed Frog Disease and Injury. Do not over react, these frogs are pretty tough.

During this time you can do normal weekly water changes and clean the filter media in tank water. Recommend not using ammonia removing media or liquids because they will sequester too much Ammonia from tank and will start a yo-yo effect that will make the process much longer. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Ok, and yes the tank is brand new. I just adopted my new girl and set up the tank yesterday, I was up until midnight setting up the tank and making sure the water was the right temperature. The water is de-chorinated, I used reptisafe. Also I should note that she is currently shedding her skin and that the filter has been temporarily turned off, because it looked like it was stressing her out.
    If this is a prolapse, how long should I wait until I put her in a honey bath or something?

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Take a better photo, like a top down picture so we can see her from above.

Why are you turning off your filter? Not that it is doing anything yet as it has not had a chance to cycle but you should not get in the habit of turning it off.

Do a research via google for Cycling a freshwater aquarium filter and the Nitrogen Cycle in Aquariums. IT will really open your eyes about the function and importance of your filter.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLoverSince5 View Post
    ... Also I should note that she is currently shedding her skin and that the filter has been temporarily turned off, because it looked like it was stressing her out...
    Turning filter off will interupt the filter/tank from cycling. What is your filter brand/model and can it be adjusted so water flows more gently?

Sorry but I am unable to get a better photo. My camera doesn't want to focus and she just won't hold still. (Is this normal for an ACF? Are they really active?)

According to the box, I have a Top Fin Power Filter with Cartridge. The instructions mentioned something bout a nob to adjust the water flow, but I just can't find it.

As for the cycling, does that just happen naturally? How often should I have the water tested and when should I first get it tested since I just set up the tank yesterday?

Nationality
    [United States]

...As for the cycling, does that just happen naturally? How often should I have the water tested and when should I first get it tested since I just set up the tank yesterday?
    Yes, it will happen naturally. You do not need to test water, but if interested can get a test kit at pet shop fish section. Before spending $ on test kit; would get a small bottle of this and follow directions: Seachem. Stability. Your tank will cycle in half he time or less.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I also agree that it is much better to keep the filter running,
    and 90% of the filters have some way of controlling the flow of water.
    I think on that model you can adjust the flow by how far you push the
    intake tube into the filter.

The best thing to do now is to feed sparingly until the tank has cycled.
    Another way to speed up cycling is to get a plant from a local fish store that
    has been in a tank for a while.
    Or a small packet of gravel from a well established tank.
    And put it in your tank.

But you really need to let the tank cycle and keep an eye on the water quality.
    by using a good water test kit. Don't use test strips they are not accurate.

Test the water at least ever other day and keep an eye on the ammonia.
    And do small water changes at min ever other day. When I say small
    for a 10 gallon tank I wound change 1 gallon.
    That little bit won't interrupt the cycle too much and help keep ammonia
    down to safe levels.
    I know it seems like a lot of work but after it finished cycling
    Then you can do a 20% change every 2 weeks or so.
    and take the filter cartridge out and rinse it in the old water to get the large
    particles out of it but still keep the bacteria active.
    replace the filter once a month.
    just rinse the new cartridge in old tank water to get rid of the carbon dust.
    The best way to tell if the water needs to be changed is by odor.
    If it starts to smell funky then do a water change.

I have kept aquariums for almost 20 years.
    Here is my 46G bow front that I have 7 Dwarf African Frogs.
    Name:  IMG_0534.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  106.2 KB
    Having live plants makes all the difference in the world.

Here's an update. I have the filter turned back on. Both yesterday and today she ate some pellets that I dropped into the tank. (Though a lot of the pellets ended up in between the pebbles) As for the 'prolapse' it hasn't gotten bigger but it hasn't gotten smaller either. I'm beginning to wonder if that's just her lady parts I'm seeing. Does anyone have a picture of a female and of an ACF prolapsing, so I can see the difference please?

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

(Though a lot of the pellets ended up in between the pebbles)
    This is not a good thing to have with a tank that is not cycled. (in actuality this is not a good thing period.)
    un-eaten food will cause major water quality problem. ( think about leaving a egg salad sandwich in your room for a day or so.)

You can remove the un-eaten pellets with a siphon. All you need is some tubing and a bucket.

To get the siphon started with out using your mouth. just put enough water in the bucket to submerge
    the tubing and get all air out of the tubing and place your finger over one end of the tubing and take the other end of the tubing and put that in the tank and have the bucket on the floor and take your finger off the tubing the siphon will start.

just guide the end of the tube over the top of the un-eaten pellets and it will draw them up and out.
    just be careful to not take out too much water.

This is another reason I like a sand substrate either white or black so the food can be seen easily by the frog.
    they have poor eyesight.
    And it is easy to keep clean.

You might want to get rid of one of those ornaments and replace it with a fake coconut hut hide or any type of place it can hide in.
    these frogs are very timid and can get spooked really easy and need places to hide to feel safe.
    In actuality it can be as simple as a pice of slate propped up against the side of the tank as long as the slate is not sharp or jagged.

I moved everything around in the tank to open up some hiding areas. Also I think I will get the water tested today.

Thread Information