Thread: Welcome to the world of pet dirt!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Welcome to the world of pet dirt!

I say this because my pacman, Squish, sleeps ALL THE TIME! If I let her she'd sleep forever I'm sure. Temps are fine, humidity is fine, substrate is fresh, low traffic area, blah blah... Everything seems fine but she wants nothing to do with the struggles of being awake -__-

Every month or so I'll dig her up, in wish she'll grunt and growl at me and I'll soak her in some honey. She'll pee/poo/shed about 20 layers of skin, then I get to force feed her cause she never eats on her own anymore. Then she'll hop around her cage like a mad frog and burrow under and slumber for another month or so.

So my question is: should I just leave her be? I dig her up because I'm so worried about her eating habits. But she doesn't look like she's lost a significant amount of weight (although she feels a bit lighter when I dig her up) or any signs of MBD (legs are strong and healthy). When she's up she acts fine... But I do notice under her chin she has a lot of fat, I considered the possibility she may be gravid? It looks a lot like how Mike's frogs look when they are, but his actually eat!
    I'm just worried is all... If my best option is to let her sleep it out I'll do it. But I'm worried she won't wake up and I'll end up digging up a dead frog in a few months

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Herpguy

Default Re: Welcome to the world of pet dirt!

I'll give you the same answer I have for 99% of the problems mentioned here: Leave her be. She obviously is trying to aestivate. Waking her up and giving her a honey soak is not only unnatural, it's likely stressing her out.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I say this because my pacman, Squish, sleeps ALL THE TIME! If I let her she'd sleep forever I'm sure. Temps are fine, humidity is fine, substrate is fresh, low traffic area, blah blah... Everything seems fine but she wants nothing to do with the struggles of being awake -__-

Every month or so I'll dig her up, in wish she'll grunt and growl at me and I'll soak her in some honey. She'll pee/poo/shed about 20 layers of skin, then I get to force feed her cause she never eats on her own anymore. Then she'll hop around her cage like a mad frog and burrow under and slumber for another month or so.

So my question is: should I just leave her be? I dig her up because I'm so worried about her eating habits. But she doesn't look like she's lost a significant amount of weight (although she feels a bit lighter when I dig her up) or any signs of MBD (legs are strong and healthy). When she's up she acts fine... But I do notice under her chin she has a lot of fat, I considered the possibility she may be gravid? It looks a lot like how Mike's frogs look when they are, but his actually eat!
    I'm just worried is all... If my best option is to let her sleep it out I'll do it. But I'm worried she won't wake up and I'll end up digging up a dead frog in a few months
    how much substrate do you have? if you need to dig her up i'm assuming a lot, then take some out, so she couldn't go under completely, this way you can monitor if she is ok without digging her out.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Herpguy

^This as well. Even though I'm all for letting frogs do things naturally, but you need to be able to monitor them while they're aestivating. It's too easy for a frog to dessicate. A great solution is to have shallow substrate with a layer of moss that you can peel away to check on your frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Lija and HerpGuy are right.

How moist is your substrate as well Bruce? Normally they will not attempt full aestivation on faily moist substrate. I have a female right now that wants to sleep constantly so I've for the most part let her be. I do dig her up bathe her and feed her, but not by force feeding. Instead of actually forcing her mouth open you can feed her while she sheds. The yawning action that is part ofntheir swallowing is the oerfect opportunity to place a night crawler in their mouths. Do lessen the substrate depth, moisten it up, and see if she responds.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Welcome to the world of pet dirt!

The substrate is pretty deep, and it's moist, but not sopping wet. If you picked up a handful and squeezed, maybe a few drops will come out. I'll take some out then, see if that helps.

Thread Information