Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons of Letting a Young WC Toad Go Free

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pros and Cons of Letting a Young WC Toad Go Free

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    Sorry
    the fish eat the mosquito larva in the water not the adults LOL.
    Yeah, that makes a LOT more sense.
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

So today, amid all that's going on and frustration, she ate a mealworm, baby dubia, and a (new) nightcrawler. She shed yesterday but it was complete, nothing left, and she had a soak, before going back to her burrow to digest.

Really, it made my day, screw everything else, to see her interested in food and not going back to ignoring it. Particularly so soon after a shed. She's the best in every way possible.
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    wild hearts..."

toadstillcane

Im in a little situation myself as I got 2 cane toads and they are W.C im feeling cruel as when I put lilly in with Boris at 1stcthey got on then 1 was eating fine which I thought was Boris but sadly I found him dead a few days later I think Lilly ate all food so I was gutted that I cost a toad its life also lilly had a tick on her back which I got off but im in uk so I cant let her go I don't wont this lovely toad to die it would destroy me but if youre toad is still acting wild then I'd consider letting it go !!? But if its ust to you feeding it then you've got a dilemma mybe you could rehome it very hard to let things go but at least uve got the toads intrest at hart good luck on your decision and if you do let go all the best p.s my other half hates anything that crawls an said wouldn't help me with toads an frogs but gues what people change she adores them no she wont handle live food like crickets locusts worms but from havin no involvement to completely helping even collecting my live food from pet shop guess im lucky

Nationality
    [United States]

Aw, sorry about Boris. My bf likes her, has brought her bugs he caught at work in the pastm but it's the bugs in his house, I think. Woke up yesterday and she was in her food dish, had eaten everything, like old times. She's a pet, it's been 7 mnths, so I'm trying to rehome her. Putting up flyers along with ones for my cats, later today. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

I did get an offer from an old friend (we're talking, i knew him 20 yrs ago, when i was 10), and he says his 7yr old daughter would take care of her.

I'm hesitant. I wasn't all that responsible at 7, I think I had hamsters, one after the other. But they're not too far from me and live on a farm-type place. At least I have an offer! Tho I'd truly prefer someone with frog experience. More goes into caring for her than someone might think. Luckily, I can provide her things, like bricks of ecoearth, her tank, plants, log hide, supplements, water conditioner, food and water dishes, and some starter feeders.

And explain how to hold her and that she shouldn't be touched unless necessary, etc. We shall see. Running out of time.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

It's those things that make toad keeping so much fun. A fat belly, soaking in the water, a bit poop and that ever so loving expression that says' "what the **** are you lookin' at" look. Ya know you're gonna end up keeping her,don't you. Only about 20% of toads make it in the wild, but I'm not trying to persuade you to keep her.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
    So today, amid all that's going on and frustration, she ate a mealworm, baby dubia, and a (new) nightcrawler. She shed yesterday but it was complete, nothing left, and she had a soak, before going back to her burrow to digest.

Really, it made my day, screw everything else, to see her interested in food and not going back to ignoring it. Particularly so soon after a shed. She's the best in every way possible.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    It's those things that make toad keeping so much fun. A fat belly, soaking in the water, a bit poop and that ever so loving expression that says' "what the **** are you lookin' at" look. Ya know you're gonna end up keeping her,don't you. Only about 20% of toads make it in the wild, but I'm not trying to persuade you to keep her.
    Hah, we posted at the same time... if it were up to me, we'd all be a big happy family. And yeah, I know that in the wild, it's 10yrs tops, longer in captivity if cared for, and average 1 year outside. I've been walking the pond around here and am dismayed at the amount of trash about. I do hear tree frogs calling, but they're up in trees, she'd be on the ground (tho she is an excellent climber). She's not being set free around here, I don't care that this is where she came from.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't know about giving it to a seven year old. I think a preserve would be much better if you're not gonna keep her. IMO

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    I don't know about giving it to a seven year old. I think a preserve would be much better if you're not gonna keep her. IMO
    Agree!!!! but he saw my posts on fb and it was so nice of him to offer. Just checked on her, she's burrowed. Or in one of her nests, half-burrowed, maybe on lookout for food. I don't trust anyone else to look for poops, or change her water correctly, or not handle her and accidentally hurt her, or not wash their hands before and after, etc.
    All the research I did, I feel like I want to teach whomever I might give her to a course on toad care. But it will probably end up being a preserve or some such place.
    wild hearts..."

toadstillcane

Arrrrrrgh bless you and I am sorry for you both frog an you an cat I'd be lost without the dog bless I'll be burrowing or burried she's old but frogs have personality and character even if it bites I've been thinking of rehoming my cali king as king are aggressive an if they dont like you they show it but I love skitzo the way she is so having to give up something up that you've cared and bonded is hard I hope I don't have to do what you have to good luck someone else would of just let frog go and cat all the best oh kids grow up so fast 7 8 yrs old are pretty cool and clued up interview her see how she reacts an frog an questions she asks just a thought gd luck

Nationality
    [United States]

yeah, we actually broke up. not me and the pets, but me and the boyfriend. shot myself in the foot on that one probably, but as someone put it, "love me, love my pets."
    wild hearts..."

toadstillcane

yeah, we actually broke up. not me and the pets, but me and the boyfriend. shot myself in the foot on that one probably, but as someone put it, "love me, love my pets."
    you have hit nail on head except my Pet's or don't as We come r ln A package deal. l was told by Partner of 10 yrs Said l KoWn you Wanted a dog but I've got one and she felt it was bad to try and change dog and Pressure her With a puppy So bless 10 yrs my dog is the Best friend So Sorry about your situtation my the pet's Were his Reason for leaving guilt mybe good luck let us all Know if you Keep foggy row and Cat ?

Nationality
    [United States]

AMEN to that!!! I think the creatures we keep are also a part of our personalities. So if they don't like your critters??............I'm just saying.

deeishealthy

I have always had a furkid of one species or another. I now have frogkids. They started as pets, but they are family. They are my pack, all of them. I would never sacrifice one of my pack for anyone. I'm sure I'd consider it, if the incentives are good enough, but the bottom line is your pack is your pack no matter the species or how many you are.

At least that's how it is in my world.

I also know two seperate couples who are in fabulous relationships and each have their own home. One couple even got married three years ago and STILL do not live together. They tried it once, ten years ago, and it almost ended what they had. It's all in what works for you.

Nationality
    [United States]

He says he doesn't really like frogs! But I don't know, it could still work out.

That whole "i don't want to eat" phase she went through is a thing of the past, btw. I'm so happy. She's pouncing on almost everything offered, baby dubia, newly molted mealworms, and just wrestled down a fat earthworm. This time without peeing on it 1st. A few days ago, I sat her on the worm plate, she got scared I guess cuz she peed, the pee got on the worm, or the worm got into the pee, but she ate the worm anyway. She's so gross, I love her.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Funniest thing just happened: little girl bit me. Came home and did the rounds of feeding, Banjo got her usual calcium dipped worm. Unusually lively, it was giving her trouble, trying to crawl out of her mouth, and she was just slapping at it, so I put my finger on the end and she got it and her adorable toothless mouth nipped my finger. I've wondered what it'd be like if she ever bit me and now I know. It's really cute.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

LOL, I'm guessing that Banjo is going to be permanent fixture in your life. Good for you!!

Nationality
    [United States]

I hope so but I'm still not sure. :/
    There's a girl in town that claims to love amphibians and of course, fell in love with Banjo (i have signs with pics up). I knew someone would. If it comes down to having to part with her, I'll put this girl through the wringer, but I'm glad there's an option for her being cared for.
    But I'm hanging onto her for as long as possible.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't like the idea of nature taking over where I leave off. Scary brutal nature, I mean. She survived being a tadpole and a toadlet on her own so she's already one of the lucky ones. But captive, I know she's safe. Even tho she doesn't get it. Maybe it is a little selfish, but she looks so small and vulnerable when she's outside. Right now she's resting in her log hide but I see her through one of the lookout holes. She's using the other one to keep an eye on food dish.
    A steady supply of food and love in a safe environment lined up if needed just makes me feel better.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

I get to hang onto her!! The two cats, too. VERY happy, tho it came out of something sad. Found a newborn bat at the bottom of hallway stairs on wednesday. Actually I found two, but the 2nd was dead when I spotted it. The little bat looked dead but he wasn't, still had umbilical cord attached, so I tried to get his mom to take him back. She didn't, so I brought him in and called bat rehabbers who still have not returned my calls. Cleaned him up, kept him warm, fed him (goat milk) off a clean paintbrush. Made him go poo before or after every meal like the websites I read instructed. He was squeaky and curious and adorable, but very premature. He passed, in his sleep, Sat evening while I was at work. 3 days old.

I was such a pathetic wreck over it that boyfriend caved about my crew. Had to argue a little on Banjo's behalf, but the argument had enough merit that she's going to be my buddy til we're both old and gray (or old-er and gray-er, as my hair is skipping the gray and going white already). Other than a cleared off surface for her house, she's the most unobtrusive roommate there ever was. Sure, she keeps her earthworms in the fridge, but I'll be keeping mayo in there (he hates mayo) and you can see mayo through the jar. I think that's actually much more disgusting in his eyes.

I would love to have Fiendly (the bat) back, cuz I miss him and I'd hoped he'd get the chance to grow up and be a bat somewhere, but we had three very good days and I got some cute video and pics to remember him by. I'd like to think he's at peace now, with his mom and twin sibling maybe. Out of tragedy (dramatic, but to me it was) comes the consolation prize that I get to keep three other critters safe and healthy with me. I'll take it! I didn't trust anybody else with them anyway.
    wild hearts..."

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Love that you get to keep furry and froggy loved ones, Sad that you lost the littlest furry one but you did what you could. and very glad tat you did do the correct thing by calling a wildlife rehab.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information