Thread: New, proud frog owner!

gjm3912

Default New, proud frog owner!

Hey guys! I just took a trip to my local butterfly conservatory, it's called "Magic Wings" and is a great place to go to relieve stress. Upon arriving, I noticed they had all sorts of creatures, from butterflies, to reptiles and amphibians, and scorpions and birds. I saw a red-eye in a glass aquarium and there was a sign saying they were selling babies! I've wanted once since I was about 10 (I'm 22 now) but I never trusted a pet store. The conservatory had a guy named Fred who breeds and cares for the frogs himself as a full time job, and guaranteed the health of all his frogs So I decided to take a red eye home. Fred has had a lot of experience with frogs and he seemed like a trusted individual on how to care for them. They even set up the tank for me on the spot. The tank is a 10 gallon tank, with a real plant inside. I believe it is one of those "false bottom" tanks. The real plant is submerged through sphagnum moss, and then planted in real, clean soil. Underneath the soil looks like there is some sort of rocks? I'm not sure what this is but I think it collects excess water. It comes with a non-heated lamp and a fake rock wall for the back. I just have a few questions to start off and I'm hoping you all could help.
    1. Does the rock at the bottom need to be replaced, and what is it?
    2. Fred told me the temperature needs to be between 60-85? He said room temperature is fine as long as I'm misting. Can I just get a spray bottle for the misting? Fred said it would be fine but I want to make sure.
    3. Should I get a temperature and humidity gauge? The man at the conservatory told me it isn't necessary, he said as long as your home is room temperature, the combination of misting and the setup of the tank (sphagnum moss etc) should keep the humidity just fine.
    4. Do I NEED to coat the crickets in vitamins? I'm feeding them carrots, which he said should be fine too.

Thanks

Default Re: New, proud frog owner!

Congratulations on your new frog!

If you haven't already, please read Frog Forum - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas

The rocks in the drainage layer shouldn't need replacing, but you will need a way to siphon water out of there as it accumulates. A picture of your tank could help people advise you.

A spray bottle is fine for misting, get a new one (don't re-use one that held chemicals). I don't keep these frogs, but the suggested minimum temperature in the care sheet here is higher than Fred recommended.

A hygrometer and thermometer would be a good idea, digital is usually preferred especially for the hygrometer. "Room temperature" is vague and can vary depending on who you are talking to.

Crickets should be dusted, they have a pretty lousy nutritional content otherwise.

Hidr

Welcome. Sorry no answers for you. I don't keep tree frogs. Gratz on your frog and good luck.

gjm3912

Update! Here is my little guy, and the home he lives in. Any tips/help would be appreciated.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 227
Size:  188.0 KBName:  image copy.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  87.9 KB

Staffaz

Your little baby is so cute ! Congratulation

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello! I just replied to your PM as well (didn't realized that you cross-PMed/posted...). Just wanted to add, now that I can see the terrarium, that you really should make that tank more rainforesty/tree frog suitable. Since they (extremely) rarely walk around on the bottom, the area/volume they can use is effectively capped by the amount of leaves/plants/climbing material that you provide. Right now, it's really empty in there. Some great plants would be Dracaena sanderiana ("lucky bamboo") and Epipremnum aureum (which has a lot of different common names... Pick one: Australian native monstera, centipede tongavine, devil's ivy, golden pothos, hunter's robe, ivy arum, money plant, silver vine, Solomon Islands ivy and taro vine). My personal favorite is the E. aureum. Large leaves to support the frogs, grows like weed, climbs everywhere, grows quickly, hard to kill, even grows epithytically if you want to.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by gjm3912 View Post
    Can you describe better? If round 1/4 in. clay like balls it's probably hygroton or similar. No need to replace, just follow Brian advice on drainage.

2. Fred told me the temperature needs to be between 60-85? He said room temperature is fine as long as I'm misting. Can I just get a spray bottle for the misting? Fred said it would be fine but I want to make sure.
    I would follow temperature and humidity recommendations in care article Brian linked. Yes, do get a new spray bottle that has not been used with chemicals!

3. Should I get a temperature and humidity gauge? The man at the conservatory told me it isn't necessary, he said as long as your home is room temperature, the combination of misting and the setup of the tank (sphagnum moss etc) should keep the humidity just fine.
    Yes, gauges are needed to help maintain correct parameters. When you go shopping for gauges digital are preferred but costlier. If getting analog, do compare them at store and avoid any that stray from median (average group reading). Depending on room temperature/humidity you might need to make adjustments to spraying schedule or use a heating bulb.

4. Do I NEED to coat the crickets in vitamins? I'm feeding them carrots, which he said should be fine too.
    Yes, recommend Repashy or ReptoCal products. Dust crickets with calcium 2 X and multi-vitamins 1 x weekly (on different days and skip a day between dustings). Feed (gut load) crickets 48 hours minimum on carrots and Repashy's Bug Burger.
    Enjoy new pet and let us know how things go, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

purpleturtle89

very pretty little frog you have there by the way and you took a good first step on coming here asking for advice. there not the easiest frog to care for and so arnt really suitable first time frogs. With the help of the wonderful people in this forum and if you listen to then you will do fine good luck and keep updates coming please welcome btw

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

HEY THERE! WELCOME.... i agree with purple turtle completely good job asking for advice! Your in good hands mate!

NO need to change out the rock bottom. This is used as a BIO FILTER. By the looks of it it is the EXO TERRA BIO DRAINING SUBSTRATE! I USE THIS AS WELL !! =)
    Here is more INFO about the EXO TERRA BIO DRAIN SUBSTRATE!

Yes Fred is right! I would say closer to 65 but shouldn't be an issue going to 60 for a shorter period of time! =) yes you can get a spray bottle... MIST 2 times a day and you should be good. =)
    I would get it just so you know how much to mist your little guy. You may mist 2 times a day but that doesnt answer your question "HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH". I would get it yes. Keep your humidity between 65-85 percent =) I do that my for guys. I maintain usually around 70-75 percent.

YES!!!! I would be very carefull on vitamins...they will only need that about twice a month...TOO much of it and your froggy friend will pass away. You do HOWEVER need CALCIUM!! NO QUESTIONS THERE!! Dust your crickets Ever other feeding with Calcium. Make sure the Calcium has D3 in the product. Heres information on D3 Calcium!

I hope this helps... I am a breeder of these frogs and there are many people on here that know i do my best to care for them...INCLUDING the overly expensive vet visits haha. Well Best of luck...feel free to private me if you ever have any questions mate =)

-COREY

Thread Information