Thread: Pyxie. . .puked?

Pyxiefan001

Default Pyxie. . .puked?

As I was feeding my leopard gecko, I noticed my adult pyxie. . .vomited. It looked like stomach acid or something similar and seaped into the substrate, of which she is now settling herself into. After doing this she sort of opened and closed her mouth and "squinted" her eyes as if trying to make there was nothing else down there that didn't belong (?). Current temp is 80 degrees (night temp) and substrate is moist at all times.

10-15 minutes (est) before this she took a fresh poop and I promptly cleaned out her water, which I also keep heated at 81 or so degrees with a 25w submersible heater. Her last meal was 4 nightcrawlers (her staple diet, supplemented with Dubia roaches every other feeding or so) eaten the previous night. She seems okay now (she's burying down as I type), but it was rather alarming to me personally as I've never seen her. . .puke before. My only theory for this is she took in just a bit of substrate (sometimes she makes mock snaps at me when I walk by) and she wretched it back up?

Has anyone seen a pyxie puke before?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Herpguy

Default Re: Pyxie. . .puked?

Sounds like you saw your frog shedding. Frogs can only vomiting by prolapsing their stomachs (exerting their stomach outside the body, basically putting it inside out).

Pyxiefan001

Hmmm. I have seen frogs do that (the stomach thing), but that def did not happen here thank goodness. So maybe that "liquid" I saw was actually skin.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Herpguy View Post
    Sounds like you saw your frog shedding. Frogs can only vomiting by prolapsing their stomachs (exerting their stomach outside the body, basically putting it inside out).
    I've actually had one of mine vomit as a young Juvenile and it did not prolapse its stomach to do so. I believe this is a rare occurrence since as you said the majority of the time they prolapse the stomach. They only vomit the stomach up if they cannot regurgitate what they've swallowed. Stones, pieces of wood, ect.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pyxiefan001 View Post
    Hmmm. I have seen frogs do that (the stomach thing), but that def did not happen here thank goodness. So maybe that "liquid" I saw was actually skin.
    If the frog vomitted liquid it was most likely swallowed water. Does your Pyxi eat while batheing?

When a frog vomits it is always a bad sign. Most of the time vomiting is a response to a food item that was too large, parasites, or and internal bacterial infection, but if they eat something that doesn't agree with them they can also vomit. A full prolapse does not have to take place for the frog to vomit as long as whatever they are trying to regurgitate if squeezed out of the stomach and into the mouth before the stomach reaches the mouth. Although this is a devastating task for a frog and many die when complications arise and the stomach is not returned back inside the body. Even once returned the frog may not eat for a while due to healing and stress.

Nationality
    [United States]

I've never seen one, but know of a case where Pixie could not get it's stomach back in and died. Following up on Colleen/Jerrod comments; have you dewormed your frog or had a fecal test done? I'm asking because of your statement that the vomit seeped into the substrate, so maybe there are parasites involved. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Pyxiefan001

Frog has been healthy ever since I got her couple to a few years ago. But I am still not convinced what I saw was shed skin. It really looked like some opaque liquid of some sort. It's hightime I took her to her first vet visit. Problem is it'll have to wait until Monday.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pyxie. . .puked?

I saw something interesting like this as well. I fed Bertha yesterday (roaches and 2 superworms to get her eating) and she was fed outside the tank. And hour later I see a superworm at the bottom of her pool, completely undigested, but not the other worm and no roaches. I thought this was strange and could fit in here

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I've actually had one of mine vomit as a young Juvenile and it did not prolapse its stomach to do so. I believe this is a rare occurrence since as you said the majority of the time they prolapse the stomach. They only vomit the stomach up if they cannot regurgitate what they've swallowed. Stones, pieces of wood, ect.
    some meds can cause same effect, but usually stomach is getting back after freaking the owner up
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    some meds can cause same effect, but usually stomach is getting back after freaking the owner up
    I experienced my Green frog (Rana Clamitans), Bumpy, vomit up some food but with no stomach prolapse after taking some medication for treating her case of Giardia. I freaked out as well, but she seemed fine afterwards, and has been digesting her food normally since, with no more vomiting, so I'm seconding Lija on her statement that meds can cause a frog to vomit.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Thread Information