Thread: Lurve in the garden

firefly

Default Lurve in the garden

I caught these two in the garden yesterday, and there were loads more in the pond.

Am I right thinking it is a Rana Muscosa??

I googled and found a pic very much like it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

firefly

Default Re: Lurve in the garden

Sorry peeps, I've done more googling and its a commong british frog lol. The pic of the Rana Muscosa must be incorrect surely. The link I spotted was http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/amphibians/family_ranidae.htm and the 3rd frog along.

Ooo I got all excited for a minute. The common frogs are still gorgeous anyway.

Kurt

You're in the UK, so you should google "frogs of the UK". Rana muscosa is an endangered species from California, its not likey to show up in your neighborhood. I am guessing your frog is either Rana temporaria or R. lessonae. I am sure John will have a better ID.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

In terms of frogs around Leicester way you should only come across common frogs, like these, though you might come across an American Bullfrog. I had someone bring one to me from their pond in Northampton because it had just turned up there. There were quite a few tadpoles of this species sold at garden centres for ponds a few years back.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes, Rana temporaria, European Common Frog. A lot of frogs in the Rana genus look similar. The American Wood Frog (Rana sylvatica) is a dead ringer for Rana temporaria. They even have very similar egg-laying habits and breed at similar times.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

firefly

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    You're in the UK, so you should google "frogs of the UK". Rana muscosa is an endangered species from California, its not likey to show up in your neighborhood. I am guessing your frog is either Rana temporaria or R. lessonae. I am sure John will have a better ID.
    I know - the only reason I thought 'maybe' was because of looking at that photo on that website. Although I've always loved amphibians I know nothing of species but am learning gradually thro this forum, but thanks for the information Kurt.

Take a look at that website - you'll see why I was confused

Kurt

You're welcome. I did look the web site, it belongs to the US Forest Service, a part of the US federal government. You might want to check out http://amphibiaweb.org/. At that site you can search by country, family, and so on.

Thread Information