Thread: ADF is spending more time at top of tank than usual

kathreen

Default ADF is spending more time at top of tank than usual

I have two frogs in a 3 gallon tank (Binga-female and Timmy-male.) Their tank is at 77 degrees. They have a lot of hiding spots in their tank a big cave, terracotta plant, beta log, two silk plants, bamboo shoot, and a cichlid rock. I've seen both of them all over the tank enjoying all of these feature. After I did a water change over the weekend and rearrangement of the tank decoration, Timmy's behavior has changed slightly. He is spending more time hanging out at the top of the tank. or near there sometimes with his nose/mouth in the air than he did previously. Sometimes he will be on the plants. I'd say he is only there half the time at most, he does spend a good portion of the time hiding otherwise. Binga is doing fine and I don't see any change in her behavior. In fact, they mated Monday and Wednesday (that is another story.) I feed them frozen bloodworms (Sunday night and Tuesday....) Should I be concerned?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: ADF is spending more time at top of tank than usual

I have always found as long as they are still doing other things in addition to spending time at the top, they are just fine. When all they do is float, you have a problem. Eating is a good sign all is well too.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Generally ADFs are lazy frogs that like to float at the top but if doing
    so more often, it may be a sign of chytrid fungus, but if its just floating
    that is the issue, you shouldnt worry too much and there are far more
    symptoms of the fungus.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Do you have a filter on this tank?
    When you did the water change, did you use a tap water conditioner to treat the water?
    How large of a water change did you do and did you rinse the filter at all?
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

kathreen

So I don't actually have a filter. I got the frogs as a Christmas present from WildCreations in a really tiny container. I immediately bought the bigger container and since I could put them in there sooner without the filter I did so (the tank did come with a filter.) The water change was about 30%. The water was tap set out for several days. I do have a conditioner but I don't routinely use it (it scares me.)

Otherwise Timmy seems fine, he is fast to move around, hiding, singing and obviously mating.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by kathreen View Post
    After I did a water change over the weekend and rearrangement of the tank decoration, Timmy's behavior has changed slightly. He is spending more time hanging out at the top of the tank. or near there sometimes with his nose/mouth in the air than he did previously. Sometimes he will be on the plants. I'd say he is only there half the time at most, he does spend a good portion of the time hiding otherwise. Binga is doing fine and I don't see any change in her behavior. In fact, they mated Monday and Wednesday (that is another story.) I feed them frozen bloodworms (Sunday night and Tuesday....) Should I be concerned?
    I commented in response to one of your posts a few weeks ago that you seem to be providing your frogs with ideal conditions and the behaviour you've now described is further evidence of that.

What you've described is one aspect of Hymenochirus behaviour that's been recorded in scientific literature and is referred to as "burbling" because the frogs seem to gulp air at intervals. Under natural conditions the frogs do this floating on top of vegetation at the water surface and it's always been my suspicion that they might also take invertebrate prey whilst resting there.

Here's a link to some photos in a German forum. The first photo shows a Hymenochirus frog resting at the surface and if you scroll down the page there are some photos of several frogs feeding on small crickets at the water surface: pipidae.org • View topic - Evolution - die Wasserfrösche kommen an Land...

This next link is to the English translation of another German website and if you scroll down the page there's another photo of a frog in a similar resting pose: http://www.panzerwelten.de/forum/thread-714.html

Finally, a link to a photo of two frogs resting at the surface: CalPhotos: Hymenochirus boettgeri; African Dwarf Frog

kathreen

Thanks for the response Geoff, I've obviously never had these frogs before so I am paranoid about everything. Actually my latest concern is currently he has been attached to her for over 24 hours (it is still going on.) She already laid eggs this morning (this is also the third time this week MWF); I haven't seen anymore come out of her since. She is swimming around a bit and when I tap they both react, but I can't figure out why he won't release (I know mating can go on for 24 hours but this is my first time observing this behavior and I assumed she'd be laying eggs for most of it.) Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

It's really a matter for your own judgement. Personally, I'd leave them unless there was some evidence that the female was getting seriously distressed. Other than that I can only refer you back to post #6 at: http://www.frogforum.net/aquatic-cla...ve-mating.html.

kathreen

So Timmy did indeed finally get off Binga sometime last night; Binga seemed normal but annoyed with having to carry a passenger and Timmy seemed preoccupied but neither seemed stressed (I definitely was more than them.) They both seem fine today (definitely sleepy though), though she seems more hungry than usual. Seems a bit weird that he has changed his behavior after they finished mating, wonder why. It isn't like he doesn't know how to mate, he has done it at least 9 times with her. The first eight times the two of them went crazy for the eggs afterwards (Binga got them to herself yesterday it would seem.)

I'll pay attention to see if this happens again. Not sure when, probably within the next week. (They seem to mate for 2 weeks, take 2 weeks off, and start again.)

If anyone else has ever since the male hang out after all the eggs have been laid, please let me know.

Thread Information