Thread: Lighting and humidity for a whites tree frog terrarium

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    blanco

Default Lighting and humidity for a whites tree frog terrarium

Hi,

I finally got two whites tree frogs on Monday and they are settling into their new home really well....eating crickets and croaking all the time. I just love them! I do have a couple of questions about the lighting a humidity in their home, though...

In order to keep the temperatures in the recommended range, I am using a daytime heating bulb and a night time heat bulb. The night one gives off a dark bluish light and the package says it mimics moonlight...is this a good choice for tree frogs? My day time bulb is 60 watts and the night time one is 50. Does that sound right?

I know that uvb lighting isn't necessary but I already own a uvb lamp and bulb so I figured I may as well use it. It's not necessary but it won't hurt anything, right? What wattage uvb is recommended?

I have been misting the tank often but am finding it hard to maintain the humidity level with just a spray bottle to mist by hand. Should this be enough to maintain proper humidity? I have a terrarium with a screen top but I know that ventilation is necessary for tree frogs. Is there something I should be doing to increase humidity or would it be best for me to just invest in a quality automatic mister that I can put on a timer? What kind of automatic misters have you guys had the best luck with? Any other thoughts on my humidity issue?

To start with, I decided to keep the frogs in the terrarium with the eco earth substrate and moss on the terrarium floor. I guess I'm wondering if the substrate will end up molding and what I can do to prevent that from happening. how often is it recommended that the substrate is entirely cleaned out and replaced?

Thank for any information you can provide...I appreciate the help so much!

Laura

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Lighting and humidity for a whites tree frog terrarium

Hi Laura! Don't have answers to all the questions but will try to help with some. Bulb wattage will depend on your enclosure size and the max limit of the fixture. If 60W day/50W night keeps it at desired level and your room temp is stable, your done. If for any reason you need more heat; then you can trade day bulb for a red one (frogs don't see it) and test various bulb wattage combinations (both on at same time) until you get temps right.

No idea on UVB recommendations, and as you stated, it's not needed. If still using, you have to consider the heat that bulb will bring into your habitat temperature equation so don't end up cooking your frogs .

You can raise humidity by partially covering screen with saran wrap taped to edges (keep saran 1/2 in. away from hot fixtures). If your enclosure is an Exo-Terra type; they have cross flow ventilation front to back. You can safely cover front screen half to help increase humidity. Just keep an eye on frogs first few days to ensure they are OK with it. A shallow dechlorinated water dish in enclosure will also help maintain humidity. At present I do not use misters so will let others comment on that.

I spot clean tank daily and replace water at same time. Once a month the whole substrate is replaced with new coco (Plantation Soil). Have no worries of substrate becoming water logged from spraying (even if heavy) because I use a modified false bottom in my enclosures. For more information on those, see the forum's Red Eye Tree Frog Care Article: Frog Forum - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas . Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

blanco

Thank you for the help carlos! So far, I have had the best luck with a 60 watt heat bulb. The 50 watt wasn't warm enough and a 75 watt had the temperature in the tank up to 90 degrees. With the 60 watt, the temp remains around 80 degrees. I see on the white's care sheet that 85 degrees is recommended so is it better to be a bit lower at 80 or higher at 90? Confusion!

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry missed your follow-up question Laura. I would go with the 60 watt bulb. The care guide linked in previous post recommends 78-82F .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Laura,
    Congratulations. They are sweet, very calm and hardy frogs that will live a longtime.

Yes you are right --"I see on the white's care sheet that 85 degrees is recommended"

Temperature............Day: 85 °F Night: 68 - 75 °F As Carlos has mentioned, maintaining this range will depend on and be affected by the light you choose. If you have real plants in the tank , you will need a full spectrum bulb for the plants. You can pick up a "Philips" plant bulb at Home Depot for about $4. They work fine, but do give off heat. Get yourself a few good thermometers ( even one found at ie home depot, waterproof is a good addition to your supplies )

Here is a link to a whites cares sheet and some very good references.
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...caresheet.html

I would like to mention the need for a quarantine period. Sorry, no one likes to hear this. Some instructions are below.
    Plus, a FF search will validate the need for this with any new frog(s). It is so important when they are new - to keep an eye on there food intake, poop ect. If one is ill or has parasites the other will as well. If your frog is wild-caught, it's a good idea to have a fecal exam done by a herp vet.

I suppose since they are already together ----they could be quarantined together, however it is ideal to separate to monitor properly.

additional infromation
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-supplies.html

POLLYWOGS WORLD OF FROGS

Vitamins Calcium
    Repashy Ventures - Distributor Center
    Foods Line

Of course , I'm sure you know the importance of de-chlorinated water - only - for their soaking dish.

We would love to see some photos !
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"