Thread: Fogger/water question

Pyxiefan001

Default Fogger/water question

I'm thinking of breaking down and investing in a hygrotherm, along with a fogger. Sources tell me distilled water is best used in the fogger, b/c tap water has minerals that build up in the system and leads to a premature death on the fogger's part. But I remember something on here about distilled water not being good for amphibians, though it can be used for misting (?).

So as long it's used only in the fogger, it is safe to use distilled water?

Speaking of foggers I've also heard that the Repti-Fogger (the one I'm eying) has a habit of ceasing to working after only a month or so. But I've heard others claim it works fine even after a year or so of use. What's the deal with this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Fogger/water question

Quote Originally Posted by Pyxiefan001 View Post
    I'm thinking of breaking down and investing in a hygrotherm, along with a fogger. Sources tell me distilled water is best used in the fogger, b/c tap water has minerals that build up in the system and leads to a premature death on the fogger's part. But I remember something on here about distilled water not being good for amphibians, though it can be used for misting (?).

So as long it's used only in the fogger, it is safe to use distilled water?

Speaking of foggers I've also heard that the Repti-Fogger (the one I'm eying) has a habit of ceasing to working after only a month or so. But I've heard others claim it works fine even after a year or so of use. What's the deal with this?
    I've had a fogger for over a year, and the hygrotherm. I love it!
    Yes, use distilled water. And your right, it's not good for frogs, but as long as it is not misting directly on the frogs, it's fine. I've heard of some folks using half distilled and half treated tap. But I'd expect that will shorten the lifespan of the fogger.

I did have one problem with my repti-fogger, and that was the fan. It stopped working about one day after I hooked it up. But some hear on this forum suggested I call zoomed and ask for a replacement part, I would have never thought of doing that myself, but the company did send me a new fan with instructions on how to install it, and I've had zero problems ever since.
    The other thing, not necessarily a problem per say, but it can occasionally make a kind of rumbling noise before it gets going... it's not completely quiet like I would have wanted.

Otherwise, I love the set up. In combination with the hygrotherm, it allows me to leave for a couple days without having to sort out a frog sitter. And I can go out at night and not worry about turning off the lights. The hygrotherm rocks! The repti-fogger not as much, but definitely worth it.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Thread Information