Thread: Ouch!!! That had to hurt!

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Ouch!!! That had to hurt!

So...just finished up a water change and was getting ready to feed them (yea I know, odd order of events but what ever. I had forgotten to feed them before doing the water change).

Anyways, they are pig piling into their food bowl and all is well...until...all HELL breaks loose! One of the larger females (larger for my group, all are still juveniles) had latched onto a younger/smaller presumably males foot. Freak out resulted and the frogs separate. The male swims off crookedly and the female swallows his foot.

UGH.

So for now I have him in a floating breeder trap. I left the top off on the, very remote but still possible, chance that the thing manages to sink. I didn't want to drown the little guy on top of everything else. I have him in there because 1) I can't imagine how much harder it is going to be to try and get to the surface to breathe 2) to keep him calm 3) to keep him from being bothered.

I fed him a small amount in his trap and surprisingly he ate.

Will set him up tomorrow in one of my other tanks to recooperate. Will have to rearrange some of my other stock (fish) to free up the tank for him. Will keep it very shallow for a few weeks then gradually start increasing the depth so I can watch how he does swimming.

At this point in time I have no idea when (if) he will be rejoining the group.

Name:  033.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  60.2 KBName:  038.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  74.3 KBName:  041.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  77.0 KB
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Ouch!!! That had to hurt!

Bad female... bad female... grrr !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Kind of surprising to me honestly. I mean my clawed frogs (x. laevis) have bit one another like this in the past on the legs and arms as well during feedings but they always let go right away and don't try to pull limbs off.

I've seen videos of newts doing similar things to one another.

Sounds like a really freak accident, pretty crazy.

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    Kind of surprising to me honestly. I mean my clawed frogs (x. laevis) have bit one another like this in the past on the legs and arms as well during feedings but they always let go right away and don't try to pull limbs off.

ouch. I hope he heals up well!
    Carole

Nationality
    [United States]

He did well over night and is moving around his little container. I will be setting up a bare bottomed 10 gallon for him. Very basic, about 3 gallons of water + heater. Too shallow for any of my filters to work but I will set it up fairly close to my sink for easy daily water changes.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post

I was shocked myself. If I hadn't been right there (I love watching them eat - it's too cute) I would have been flabbergasted about how he lost his foot. I agree that it was just a freak accident and all other frogs are whole and healthy, the large female is definitely ADF (just confirming before someone suggests otherwise).

Maybe I couldn't see an earlier injury/maybe an older one from youth that made his ankle extraordinarily weak and by luck she just grabbed onto that foot out of all the others in the tank? I don't know. I don't believe I ever will.

Wow, thatīs really strange! Never heard of something like this before... I often see my ADFs snapping anotherīs leg, but they never hurt each other. Fingers crossed that your frog will be ok.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Once he is over the shock of the injury he'll be fine. I use to know a lady that only kept " gimps and weirdos" in her colony. She had frogs with three arms and legs and frogs that were missing limbs. They were fine.

Woah, that's really something! I know that you'll take great care of him. Hopefully it doesn't slow him down to much. ADFs seem really fragile to me, although I think I've only ever seen babies in person. Do you think there would there be any point in doing prophylactic antibiotics?
    I found a very sad American toad outside the wildlife rehab center where I work. It looked like a raccoon had gnawed off all of her limbs. Unfortunately there was nothing I could do to help that. At least I was able to humanely put her down. I can't imagine that quadruple amputee anurans do very well in the wild :/ I'm glad yours has better odds!

Nationality
    [United States]

He is doing really well.
    He is eating like a champ which is a good sign. He seems to be swimming fine with only one hind foot but I am not going to rush him in recovering.

Fingers crossed for the little dude.

LunaDay

Wow. I am glad to hear he is doing well. Mine accidentally get hold of one another all the time during feeding. I didn't figure they'd be able to do any damage without teeth! I was certainly wrong about that.

Thread Information