Thread: Philodendron question

illadelfyaEAGLE

Default Philodendron question

I just set up my whites tree frog enclosure.It's a xl exo-terra terrarium. In there i have an arrowhead plant, angels's tears, a club moss, and just recently a philodendron. I just read that they contain calcium oxalates and can be poisonious to herps. But are they only poisonous if ingested or is the toxin secreted on the leaf surface? i doubt the frog will chomp down on a leaf (since he's fed outside the cage) but i don't want him climbing on the leaves if they secrete toxin. Does anyone know about philodendrons?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

hyla

Default Re: Philodendron question

I think they are fine to use in your terrarium. A lot of plants contain calcium oxalates and we eat them everyday in our vegetables! If you google philodendron so many sites come up toxic and poisonous but you would need to eat quite a bit for it to be fatal. If it bothers you, just leave it out!!! Use pothos or something similar that you can be 100% certain is ok. Then you can just have a nice hanging basket of philodendron in your house!

hyla

I also say this b/c you will be feeding your frog in a separate container...I do not know if crickets will eat the philodendron. What variety is it do you know? They wont eat the silver variety.

illadelfyaEAGLE

its a green philodendron, P. scandens. I got it at walmart, looks identical to golden pothos but i liked the solid green color better cause the arrowhead has a dark green/light green almost yellow marbeled leaf and i didn't want two plants looking too similar. pothos also has ca2+ oxalates and is widely used in terraiums so the philodendron is probably ok

Greatwtehunter

I've used this same exact species in some of my dart tanks for years with no none adverse effects.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Philodendrons are commonly used in tropical terraria - I wouldn't worry about it.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I offer yet another testimonial for the philodendron. I've used them for years and I currently have one sitting in a MagNatural plant holder in my Green TF setup. Never had any problems with them and neither have the frogs.

I'm waiting for the day when somebody screams 'Don't mix plant species!'.

Mal

Kurt

Don't mix plant species!!!!!

Thread Information