Thread: Need Help Identifying Frog!

Shumba111

Question Need Help Identifying Frog!

Today at work I discovered a ginormous tree frog hopping around on the floor. I live in Massachusetts and I'm fairly certain the only species native to here stay pretty small, but this fellow is 3" long and about the size of the White's Tree Frogs I see at pet stores. We did just get a big shipment of live plants from down south, Florida I believe, so I'm wondering if he was a stowaway.
    He's got a white throat and belly, and the underside of his legs look like they have a pinkish tint to them. His color has shifted from dark brown to light tan depending on his surroundings. I attached a few pictures so hopefully they'll help.
    Anywho, I've set him up in a good size terrarium for the time being and would like to free him, but if he is from down south I'm a bit afraid he won't survive the cold weather up here. Any help ID'ing this guy would be much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shumba111

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Frog!

Soo I did some research and I'm thinking he's a Cuban Tree Frog. Can anyone confirm this and/or give me some direction on how to properly care for him? I bought him some crickets, which he hasn't eaten, but that could probably be attributed to stress.

Kurt

It's an Osteopilus septentrionalis, more commonly known as a Cuban Treefrog. It can be kept like any other treefrog. Do not release it, as it can not survive here and besides its illegal to release animals into the wild.

Where do you work?

Shumba111

Thanks, Kurt! Yeah after I did a bit of digging around on the interwebs I figured he was a Cuban Treefrog.. Looks like I'll be keeping him haha. I work at a Home Depot, we get all kinds of ornamental plants in from around Florida, along with the occasional anole or frog. Aside from this guy we had a big black salamander with yellow spots, but I guess someone put him outside before I was able to stop them

Kurt

Sounds like a spotted salamander, Ambystoma maculatum. Fortunately this species can be found here in Massachusetts, so releasing it should cause to many problems. I saw hundereds of them on Monday night.
    Which Home Depot do you work at? Maybe you are local to me.

Julia

It looks like you have him on gravel...I would advice removing it and putting him on wet paper towels or coco husk. Cubans are voracious eaters and will often eat their substrate along with the crickets.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    Cubans are voracious eaters and will often eat their substrate along with the crickets.
    You've given me pause for thought for the next time I order the Sopa de Pescado at the Cuban Restaurant on my street. I thought that stew tasted too good to be true.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Shumba111

Julia, I put him in that tank just as a holding area, and the picture was taken literally 2 min after getting him home. I did add some Jungle Bed and I big soaking dish, but I'm having trouble keeping it humid in there. He's doing good so far, though

Kurt

Just mist him daily. I usually do this at night just before going to bed.

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Shumba111 View Post
    Julia, I put him in that tank just as a holding area, and the picture was taken literally 2 min after getting him home. I did add some Jungle Bed and I big soaking dish, but I'm having trouble keeping it humid in there. He's doing good so far, though

Thats good!

Shumba111

I was misting but it wasn't really helping. I ended up covering part of the top with shrink wrap and it's much more humid in the tank now. I have crickets in there, but he still doesn't seem to be eating them.. I know that's supposed to be the go-to food for captive frogs of this species, but is there something else I should be trying?

Kurt

Don't put shring wrap on the cage! Treefrogs need good ventilation or the wither and die. If you need to increase the humidity mist daily and use a substrate that holds moisture well.

froggymatt

definitely got yourself a cuban...mine took about 4 days to settle down and then eat.but theese guys love crickets! kinda jealous! been looking all over for a LARGE cuban. oh well ....back to the woods i go!

Griffin

i use to catch and had them as pets in Florida all the time when i was younger

nickc

definitely a cuban tree frog. they leave a lot of slime when handled ha

Thread Information