Thread: Could Xenopus Laevis and Xenopus Tropicalis live in the same tank for the first few months?

Default Could Xenopus Laevis and Xenopus Tropicalis live in the same tank for the first few months?

Ok, my last question before I get my frogs.

X.L and X.T will be used hereafter.

I am aware that X.T require a warmer water than the X.L, therefore my tank will be approximately 28-30'C. However, this sort of conflicts with the X.L's recommended water temperature. I'm sure that 5 degrees Celsius more or less wont drastically effect the frogs, but I don't want to be putting any additional stress on them.

I'm getting four frogs, two of each species. I've bought a 60G long plastic 'box', with all the necessary equipment and parameters. All I need now are the little fellows.

My question really is about the temperature. Rather than the space, the plastic tank is quite temporary.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Could Xenopus Laevis and Xenopus Tropicalis live in the same tank for the first few months?

I housed Laevis, Borealis and Tropicalis together in a tank set to 75*F and all thrived.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

4. This member thanks Jenste for this post:

Default Re: Could Xenopus Laevis and Xenopus Tropicalis live in the same tank for the first few months?

Perfect, I know that some people would be picky with the slightly warmer temperature needed for the X.T.

So this is good/convenient for me!

I hope the X.L doesn't outgrow the X.T too fast...

Nationality
    [Canada]

30 celsiusis way too hot for either species! Jenna is talking 24 Celsius when she says 75 Fahrenheit. The Tropicalis could take a bit more if they were on their own, but I wouldn't push it any further for the Laveis.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

According to The Laboratory Xenopus sp., by Sherril Green, X.l. should be kept at a temperature between 17-24(C), and X.t. between 24-25(C). Anything above 30(C) is lethal to both. X.t. is quite a bit smaller in size than X.l.. It is interesting to note that there is a difference of opinion concerning which genus tropicalis should be in. Evolutionary biologists prefer Silurana while the developmental biologists prefer Xenopus. You will find that the tropicalis mature and breed in about half the time as laevis.

It has been suggested that tropicalis is more closely related to the dwarf clawed frogs (Hymrnochirus) and the South American Pipa than the true clawed frogs. Seems like this species confirms the Africa-South America connection.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

8. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    According to The Laboratory Xenopus sp., by Sherril Green, X.l. should be kept at a temperature between 17-24(C), and X.t. between 24-25(C). Anything above 30(C) is lethal to both. X.t. is quite a bit smaller in size than X.l.. It is interesting to note that there is a difference of opinion concerning which genus tropicalis should be in. Evolutionary biologists prefer Silurana while the developmental biologists prefer Xenopus. You will find that the tropicalis mature and breed in about half the time as laevis.

It has been suggested that tropicalis is more closely related to the dwarf clawed frogs (Hymrnochirus) and the South American Pipa than the true clawed frogs. Seems like this species confirms the Africa-South America connection.

Vastly interesting. I have my Tropicalis tank set at 26'C, during the day it rises one (very rarely two), I've never seen it go more than 30'C.

Based on your comment, would getting a dwarf frog be best? I've just set up a 55g long tank, I've got plenty of room for more frogs, I just don't know which ones yet. (it's looking like a species only tank at the moment, but a tiny bit of variety would be nice)

Nationality
    [United States]

Forgive me if I am not understanding correctly but I do not think it would be wise to mix Xenopus and Hymenochirus; tropicalis is more closely related to hymenochirus but I think it's predatory nature is more closely related to Xenopus. Which means, very good chance an X. Tropicalis would eat an african dwarf frog given half a chance.

Unless I am way way off on the size of X. Tropicalis it should still be considerably larger than a dwarf frog and I am almost certain it will be more aggressive, powerful, and far more predatory.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I am shocked that your tank gets to 30 degrees (89 F). I assume that is just room temperature there? I have been to Spain a few times and it was always hot, but I have only been there in the summer.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Necromencer View Post
    Based on your comment, would getting a dwarf frog be best? I've just set up a 55g long tank, I've got plenty of room for more frogs, I just don't know which ones yet. (it's looking like a species only tank at the moment, but a tiny bit of variety would be nice)
    I agree that keeping Xenopus and Hymenochirus together is not a good idea, simply because Xenopus is much larger and more agressive. Jen has experience with several species of Xenopus and I agree with her that X.l. and X.t. can coexist.

I'd like to revive this somewhat old topic. Both my Laevis and Tropicalis are fully grown. Female Laevis are at least 3/4 bigger than male Tropicalis. This sometimes worries me, as it looks like the female could do a lot of damage given the chance. Luckily enough, I've had the tank 6 months now and I have seen no violence at all. All frogs cohabit peacefully. I have also noticed that Tropicalis are a lot more accurate when it comes to eating food, whereas Laevis are lot more 'dosy' and take a lot long to find food. In addition, Tropicalis use thier claws, which are a lot more prominent, more often when dealing with larger food (worms, larvae).

I'd also like to point out that Laevis seem to have a more developed eye-sight (I think), at any rate, they are able to register a laser from a laser-thermometer, while Tropicalis cannot.

I have to be honest, I do fear sometimes that the larger female may do something to the young male, but I haven't seen anything as of yet that makes these worries legitimate
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ,
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    φθεγξώμεθ᾽, εὔγηρυνἐμὰνἀοιδάν,
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    ἡνίχ᾽ὁκραιπαλόκωμος Aristophanes, Frogs: 209-220
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι
    χωρεῖκατ᾽ἐμὸντέμενοςλαῶνὄχλος.
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.

Nationality
    [Canada]

What temperature are you keeping them at?
    I have heard stories of female Laevis trying to eat adult male Laevis after years of living together. There is no way to determine if and when your little guy could be a snack, but the chance is always there.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you worry your larger female X. laevis will eat the smaller X. tropicalis male; then separate the species. You can't predict what a frog will do and you have a risk to evaluate. Either live with the risk and prepare for any loses, or eliminate the risk by separating them, your choice .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

I'm aware of the risk. At any rate, the worst possible outcome would be eating limbs. At the moment, I don't think the male could fit in the mouth of the female, but who knows, they like to eat anything.

I am prepared for the worst, separating isn't really an option unless I find the female Laevis a better home (which is unlikely in the city I live in). The tank is big enough for them to move about and for the little one to swim away given the chance. Also, if they are well fed, do they have reason to attack and eat sponteanously?

Name:  Frogs!!!!.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  9.9 KB

Temp is 25'C, may drop 1'c during the night. Here is a picture for comparison, the Tropicalis male is the one on the far right, the two female Laevis are the two first on the left.
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ,
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Your Laevis are still small based on the comparison to the Tropicalis in the pic. Do you heat your tank to 25 C or is that room temperature where you live?

In the initial post I said I would keep them at 28'c-30'c, do not be alarmed! The aquarium is always at 24-25'c, fluctuations of 1'c may happen depending on the day. At the moment the tank is heated both internally and externally. I have the heating always set at 25'c both to keep warm and for the frogs (dart frogs) and the frogs. I have a internal heater in the aquarium just in case, equipped with a thermostat. And yes, I check the temperature at least 3 times a day, both with the internal thermometer and a laser thermometer (with the laser turned off).

One time my tank boiled (thermostat didn't turn itself off) and it ended up killing everything I had. I'm extra diligent to make sure that the same mistake does not happen.
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ,
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι