Thread: Flexwatt heat tape

Pyxiefan001

Default Flexwatt heat tape

Does anyone have any experience using this with Pyxies or similar terrestrial frogs (like Pacmans or toads)? I watched a video about them on Big Apple Pet supplies and they sound like slightly more complicated zoo med heat mats. The host even said they were designed to go underneath glass tanks. In my experience heat mats only heat the wall they are adhered to and don't really do much to warm the cages if they are applied to the sides of the walls (like we amphibiphiles do for reasons that should be well known by now). That's why I've always used infrared bulbs, albiet low wattages of no higher than 50 watts.

But does heat tape somehow emit more powerful heat waves than mats? Is there something I'm missing or not understanding about side-wall heating elements?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Flexwatt heat tape

Not with frogs; but I use it to heat my roach bins. The tape comes in different size/wattage and IMO the 11 in. one heats more than a similar sized mat. Recommend if using heat tape you get a controller (either manual rheostat or auto thermostat). Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Pyxiefan001

Do you use it underneath your bins or on the side? If these things are basically wire-it-yourself heat mats then I'd be reluctant to get one for my frog b/c I've never had good results with mats in the past.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Pyxiefan001 View Post
    Do you use it underneath your bins or on the side? If these things are basically wire-it-yourself heat mats then I'd be reluctant to get one for my frog b/c I've never had good results with mats in the past.
    I locate them on the bin's back side. Sorry; but we all have different taste and can't tell if you will like it or not. Try and find some local reptile/amphib keepers that use tape and take a look at their set-up. I started using mine after a local pet shop showed me how they heated their roach bins. Thought that if they, who had access to mats and other heat bulbs at cost, had ordered a product they did not carry in store... it should work OK .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

SCF

I use heat tape with pyxie's, located on the side of the tank. =)

Pyxiefan001

How is it adhered? How are they different from Zoo Med heat mats? Do they emit more heat and thus warm more than just the wall they're on?

Thread Information