Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hurt frog in wild

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: hurt frog in wild

Quote Originally Posted by ribit View Post
    I asked the vet today, and she was very surprised to see a toad brought into her office! I told her what was wrong with her, and she looked in her mouth. She said that she knows nothing about toads, but she will call someone and ask for their opinion. For now I think I will go pick up some Reptaboost, and some melafix from aquarium and pets over the weekend.
    Don't be surprised about that, it's a blessing to have a local vet that knows lot's about frogs. Only thing local available for me is fecal exams . I would do the Melafix; it's a naturally occurring organic compound and very mild when used as directed.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hi Lija! You have no idea; but with 51 years of keeping and breeding fresh and saltwater fish, you just opened pandoras box at home !
    lol I'm glad
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by ribit View Post
    I asked the vet today, and she was very surprised to see a toad brought into her office! I told her what was wrong with her, and she looked in her mouth. She said that she knows nothing about toads, but she will call someone and ask for their opinion. For now I think I will go pick up some Reptaboost, and some melafix from aquarium and pets over the weekend.
    she should check VIN if she is a member
    then yeah, go with melafix, and there is also another one in the same fish section, also in bottles, looks like melafix, but is used for bacterial fish diseases, can't remember name now, you can alternate those 2 to cover all basis. how the toad is feeling now?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    ...and there is also another one in the same fish section, also in bottles, looks like melafix, but is used for bacterial fish diseases, can't remember name now, you can alternate those 2 to cover all basis...
    You mean Pimafix? It's primarily used against "fungus" but also has effect against internal bacteria and can be used together with Melafix.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

yeah i think that one , don't remember, never used anything other then melafix from fish section.
    i think there were 3 different bottles, melafix, pimafix and another ...fix whatever works for bacteria would be useful here.

ribit

Okay, I will go pick up the Melafix or Pimafix Over the weekend. I started putting plain yogurt on her worms this morning for calcium. it seemed to make her more active as well. You guys were a big help! Thanks so much! I will tell you how her lip heals up after I pick up the Melfix, or Pimafix.

ribit

Hi, I just got the melafix, and some crickets. Do you guys know how much Melafix to put on her mouth?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default hurt frog in wild

Hi ribit,

Such a nice thing you're doing to help this little guy.

Just wanted to add that it would be wise to remove the gravel/small rocks and use either paper towels changed daily or coconut fiber (not husk). I think I'd use paper towels until his wounds are healed.

I have never used OTC fish treatments for my frogs, so I am of no assistance there. I go through Dr.Frye also and have used SSD cream and systemic antibiotic drops.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for helping this little fella.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

ribit

Thanks for the welcome! I put one little drop on her lip yesterday. I will put wet papertowls on the bottom of her cage tonight.

ribit

Ahhhh! I just checked on her, and she had her first poop. Her poop was Not normal! It was not like normal toad poop that they leave on your door step. It was just one dead, wet, shriveled up worm! Why is she not digesting her food??? She was doing so well.

Nationality
    [Canada]

sounds good that she pooped, the q are you sure that was a poop? i mean have you seen her go? because what you're describing sounds more like regurgitated worm. how she is doing in general? her wounds? is she trying to eat anything?

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Another thing you might want to add to the tank is a place for the toad to hide under.
    That will lessen the stress on the toad.

ribit

Being sort of grose, I picked the worm off of her rear end. So, it had to of been poop. Her wounds are good. I still have to hand feed her. She has free rang crickets in her cage, that she could eat. I counted 3 crickets when I put them in there, and i didn`t feed her for 2 days to see if she would eat on her own. She didn`t though. So I am still hand feeding her. She has a little cocunut hut in there for her to sit under too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information