Thread: Complete Beginner who has done some research, initial questions about conflicting information...

Default Complete Beginner who has done some research, initial questions about conflicting information...

Well, I'm looking into dart frogs and I have a few questions about the initial stage, the vivarium:

I'm looking to buy this:

Exo Terra Glass Terrarium and Dual Lighting Canopy 60x45x45cm

It's on offer and it is very cheap for what it usually sells for.

My first question is thus:

1 Is this an okay tank to put a few dart frogs in?

I've seen some videos on youtube with people using this exact model and their set ups look fine. Although none of them have videos with the frogs in them or updates about their frogs, just the vivarium set up.

2)Some vivariums have fountains and small water pits, this can't be good can it?

I've seen lots of videos of these set ups. I've read that having a small pool of water can drown the frogs so it's best to stay away from them. Is this true? What if you have a small (very very small) stream that trickles across the substrate.

Also, are fountains alternatives to fog-machines? I was thinking of getting a fog maker for my vivarium for the humidity, which comes to my next question:

3)With the aforementioned vivarium, how hard will it be to keep in the humidity?

It looks like there are a few small gaps between the glass openings which could let out the humidity. I've read that it's best to get a glass 'box' (like an aquarium) and have a glass lid, so nothing can get out.

For the moment, these are my questions. After I know if I should get that tank or look into another, I'll research the next phase (background) and if I have any questions, I'll post them here, as a continuation. After that, I'll be doing the same with the next phase (substrate) and so forth with the other phases.

I'll appreciate any help and try to do as much research as possible before posting any questions.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Complete Beginner who has done some research, initial questions about conflicting information...

1. Yes.
    2. Would not have standing water where frogs can drown. A trickling stream powered by very small pump is fine. Both fog machines and water fixtures help raise humidity; fog machines are just way more efficient at it.
    3. Trial and error process. Your terrarium top will have screen areas you can block off with pieces of polycarbonate plastic sheeting or even taped saran wrap to increase humidity. Small gaps in door, etc. are neglegible when compared to top screen areas and natural cross-flow ventilation in design (vents below doors and on top back area).
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Default Re: Complete Beginner who has done some research, initial questions about conflicting information...

I have the 45x45x60 that I house a trio of Leucs in. I originally designed the cage for thumbnails then decided to put my Leucs in it. It was a good idea because they started breeding like crazy about a month after I put them in.

What I found with Exo Terras and the whole humidity problem is that the small space around the doors isn't as crucial as the top screen areas. I have Lexon in one section and Saran wrap in the other.

I think pictures help answer a lot of questions...

Name:  100_3403.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  157.2 KBName:  100_3404.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  139.4 KBName:  100_3405.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  142.1 KBName:  100_3406.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  127.3 KBName:  100_3407.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  107.9 KBName:  100_3410.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  114.6 KBName:  100_3411.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  139.0 KBName:  100_3412.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  158.4 KBName:  100_3413.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  50.4 KBName:  100_3414.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  102.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Excellent, thank you very much. Pictures are definitely better than a thousand words!

P.s: Very nice tank set up, by the way. My girlfriend said that they look just like the ones we saw in a Zoo we visited the other day.

Thread Information