Thread: New addition plus near heart attack

reptileszz

Default New addition plus near heart attack

OMG why do my frogs want to leave the tank so bad?

I went out to buy some more plants and possibly a battery operated sludge sucker thingy. I went to the store the battery operated thingy was supposed to be sold at, its a nice fish/pet store that is't the closest one to my house so I dont frequent it very often. No sludge sucker but the owner suggested cory cats to stir up the detritis so it would go in the filter. OK, I tell him I will look around and I googled "cats with clawed frogs or some such" and saw that they were acceptable. I didnt come here tho so I hope they are. I got 3 of them. ATM they are definitely too big to eat.

So while I was looking around I see a tank of "large clawed frogs" which are not that large but are all larger than Alvin. Well, I was comparing what looked like alvin in another tank and decided that Alvin would definitely not fit in the smallest normal one (with spots) mouth. So I bought him. He is definitely larger than Alvin but not a ton. He doesnt seem interested in the catfish at all as they are too big to eat presently.

So anyway, I bring all this home along with a new plant and two new moss balls and while I am arranging everything apparently Alvin got out. What the heck. I mean really. I moved one plant and Alvin took off. The top was totally open. I thought I heard something behind the tank but thought it was just me moving stuff around. Then I got nervous and started looking for Alvin. I couldnt find him anywhere. I went to find a flashlight to look underneath. When I came back up Alvin was right there on the floor in front of the tank with dust bunnies stuck all over him (mental note, time to vacuum under there). I nearly passed out. He looked terrible and had only been out for like 5 min. I carefully held him in the tank and got the dust off of him and he was breathing heavy. I balanced him on top of the wisteria for now. I think he is ok? I had a cat looking around like something was going on but he followed me downstairs to get the flashlight so I dont think anything happened to him except a 2 foot fall and then a 3.5 foot fall. I hope he is ok. This is just ridiculous how they get out!

And now I am nervous that the cats were a bad idea. Thoughts on that everyone?

Thanks for this great forum,
    Carole
    Last edited by reptileszz; April 12th, 2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: It changed W T F to White's Tree Frog. Fixed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New addition plus near heart attack

Hi Carole! Humm... how high from top is your water level? Do you have a floating deck or something Alvin could jump off? Those are pretty tall falls for a small frog; is Alvin OK now?

Cat's bad idea? At least they did not eat Alvin ! Good luck and have a nice weekend !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Ok, yikes! Glad Alvin is ok.

First of all, Corydoras (your cory cats) are a very bad idea with african clawed frogs. They have small spines on their fins...when something tries eating them, their spines injure their would be attackers insides. Not good for the frog or the corydoras.

Don't waste your money on a battery operated siphon. The battery part is a lovely money wasting gimmick.

Either buy a Python which can hook directly up to your sink, thus making it much easier for water changes and it gets rid of the bucket, or buy a regular siphon minus the battery.

Also, you should never just put new and old frogs together. This goes for fish also. The importance of Quarantining any and all new additions cannot be stressed enough. You should also thoroughly rinse your new plants before they go into your tank to rinse off the store's water and any hitch hiking snails/snail eggs.

I would return the cories asap (also they are a schooling fish who are supposed to be kept in groups of at least 6 of the same species). They may look fine this moment, but long term it is not going to work out well for one or both species.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

reptileszz

Well, it appears I am doing everything wrong. And Alvin doesn't look good. Not good at all. I went away before for about 15 min and when I came back he was upside down at the bottom of the tank. I fished him out expecting him to be dead. He isn't dead yet but it doesnt look good. I might just take it all back and give up. Not doing anything right.

Carole

Nationality
    [United States]

Try putting him in some very shallow (just enough to cover most of his body but keep his nostrils in the air) water in a covered container (Tupperware even). He is probably a little shocked, stressed, tired and sore from his adventure. They start drying out very quickly and their muscles are primarily water. Dehydration makes it very hard for them to swim for a while afterward.

This is a learning curve. We have all been where you are. Don't give up due to a few hiccups. I have been exactly where you are. I didn't start out knowing a lot about frogs...I learned and most of the early learning was just because I kept screwing up and was trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
    Wrong species bought? Check. Wrong tank set up? Check. Jumping frog? Check. Wrong tankmates? Check. Putting frogs together too soon? Check. Wrong food? Check. The list goes on and on. A few months from now you will be the one giving advice to other newbies.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    Try putting him in some very shallow (just enough to cover most of his body but keep his nostrils in the air) water in a covered container (Tupperware even). He is probably a little shocked, stressed, tired and sore from his adventure. They start drying out very quickly and their muscles are primarily water. Dehydration makes it very hard for them to swim for a while afterward.

This is a learning curve. We have all been where you are. Don't give up due to a few hiccups. I have been exactly where you are. I didn't start out knowing a lot about frogs...I learned and most of the early learning was just because I kept screwing up and was trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
    Wrong species bought? Check. Wrong tank set up? Check. Jumping frog? Check. Wrong tankmates? Check. Putting frogs together too soon? Check. Wrong food? Check. The list goes on and on. A few months from now you will be the one giving advice to other newbies.
    I have him in shallow water propped up on wisteria. Now he really looks dead. Zero movement. Really? After 5 freaking minutes out? I dont get it. Very angry and sad.

Nationality
    [United States]

Leave him be for a while. Cover the container so it is dark. Leave him undisturbed for a while to let him calm down.

reptileszz

He looks pretty dead to me. And he is bruised. I have a pic of the bruising. It must be from the fall. The flash brought it out big time. The bruises are not that red at all, just slightly different color than the rest of him. I cannot believe this is happening. This one lasted a week here. I am getting worse at this it would seem.Name:  alvin dead bruising.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  79.3 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Aw poor little thing. Those do look like tender bruises.

Please don't give up. You now also have that new little one who will need you - better than seeing him back in a pet store to be bought for a child's half gallon kritter keeper nightmare.

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    Aw poor little thing. Those do look like tender bruises.

Please don't give up. You now also have that new little one who will need you - better than seeing him back in a pet store to be bought for a child's half gallon kritter keeper nightmare.
    Ugh, not sure about that. Might be better off back in the nicely planted tank at the pet store with his friends I will post pics of him when I am more in the mood. The tank looks freaking awesome. I wish I could enjoy it more at the moment. Bah.

Thanks for all your help,
    Carole

Not to be horrible, but if it looks like he is dying, and you know he is in a lot of pain, it may be best to put him down humanely

Clover oil then vodka will put him to a quite and peaceful death.

I really hope he recovers

reptileszz

He is dead. I am leaving him alone propped up on wisteria but he is dead. I am only going thru the motions of making sure he is dead so that later on I don't think I disposed of him alive. I will dispose of him in the morning when he has proven that he is dead.

Thank you.

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks like his hind legs were damaged somehow during the escape. Really sad, have you found out how he managed to get out? May want to lower the water a bit more as well.

reptileszz

I had the tank wide open to rearrange stuff. He apparently got out while I was right there. I am terrified to ever open the top again. Ugh

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm sorry you had to experience that

Even so, don't be discouraged from keeping these guys. Everyone makes mistakes at the start, I certainly did.

I think Michael is right about lowering the water, it should prevent your other little guy from getting out. As for how he got out, check the corners of the lids. If you don't press them down enough sometimes, there's large holes that a frog could get out of. I know, because I've seen my Chorus frog, Chrome, squeeze through one with ease.

And I know exactly how you feel about being terrified of taking the lid off of a tank and putting it back on. I'm always terrified when that I put the crickets in my Chorus frogs' tank that my little rascals are going to leap out and hop away too fast to catch them!
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

So sorry for your loss
    But I feel you are trying hard and your tank is really good for ACFs, so I think you shouldn´t give up as well.

As for the Corydoras: Like Jenna said, this is a dangerous combination. In January, I wanted to adopt a new frog, but a few days before I could pick it up, this happened:
    Name:  DSC_0549.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  55.7 KB
    The frog tried to eat a catfish at night, but it got stuck in the frog´s throat with its spines- both were found dead the following morning.

18. 2 members thank Felis for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Very sorry about Calvin's death !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Miss Blue

read this post and it is absolutely heart breaking. so easy to get discouraged when you feel you are a bad "parent" but like everyone on here has said, we all learn the hard way! morale of the story is you have a good heart, good intentions, obviously lots of love to give so i say keep at it and learn from this. look after your other guy and over time you may feel ready for more, and if not thats ok too. just focus on getting past this and pampering the other frog and making some awesome memories with your new little guy, you will get through this!

Somehow I feel like sharing my own ACF mishaps might make you feel better. I've owned these guys for around 7 years now. I have 6 frogs at the moment. Sure they are all happy and healthy now, but I promise you that no one is perfect and unfortunately there is a lot of room for error in keeping these guys. My first incident happened just a few days after I moved my frogs into a big new tank. There was a 3/4" gap in the back between the lid and the background of the tank. Sure enough, I come down one morning to find that TWO frogs were missing from the tank. My cat happily pointed out the large female frog on the floor. Luckily she wasn't very dry and recovered quickly. However, I couldn't find the little male that was missing. I tore my house apart, literally looking everywhere at least 3 times. Eventually I gave up because I knew that he wouldn't have made it long before he dried up anyway. I felt sick to my stomach for days. The guilt! I felt awful for that guy, thinking he had suffered a terrible, slow death. Well let me tell you, I walk into the house one day to find my cat playing with this "thing" on the floor. Upon further investigation I see that it was my poor froggies' leg!! After the initial horror of realizing that he had been dead all along-- apparently eaten by the cat, I actually felt a little relieved at knowing that he hadn't died slowly from dessication. I promptly taped up the gap in the lid to ensure this never happened again.

Unfortunately that wasn't my only incident. Luckily at the time I had a roommate that had to be up very early for work. At 5am one morning she woke me up to tell me that one of my frogs was in the kitchen. I race downstairs and low and behold, my 2 gorgeous reticulated albinos were missing. I found one in the kitchen. Luckily she had hopped onto a plastic bag and was making a lot of noise squirming around!! This probably saved her life. I searched for a few hours for her brother, but no luck. Devastated I sat down and tried to take my mind off it. That's when I saw him: smiling at me from inside the filter!!! The little bugger had jumped up the "waterfall" part of my HOB filter and ended up sitting in the well of it. He looked totally content sitting it there too.

Needless to say, I ended up selling that tank in favor of one that could be 110% escape-proof. I have a heavy lid and I seal any questionable areas (like the filter) with packing tape. I've been escape free for over a year now. The moral of the story is that these little frogs are suicidal maniacs. Ok just kidding, but really, you have to take every precaution and then some. We all make mistakes in the beginning. I'm so sorry about Alvin, but you don't have to give up. I know that you can take great care of your new guy!

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by SwimminSteve View Post
    Somehow I feel like sharing my own ACF mishaps might make you feel better. I've owned these guys for around 7 years now. I have 6 frogs at the moment. Sure they are all happy and healthy now, but I promise you that no one is perfect and unfortunately there is a lot of room for error in keeping these guys. My first incident happened just a few days after I moved my frogs into a big new tank. There was a 3/4" gap in the back between the lid and the background of the tank. Sure enough, I come down one morning to find that TWO frogs were missing from the tank. My cat happily pointed out the large female frog on the floor. Luckily she wasn't very dry and recovered quickly. However, I couldn't find the little male that was missing. I tore my house apart, literally looking everywhere at least 3 times. Eventually I gave up because I knew that he wouldn't have made it long before he dried up anyway. I felt sick to my stomach for days. The guilt! I felt awful for that guy, thinking he had suffered a terrible, slow death. Well let me tell you, I walk into the house one day to find my cat playing with this "thing" on the floor. Upon further investigation I see that it was my poor froggies' leg!! After the initial horror of realizing that he had been dead all along-- apparently eaten by the cat, I actually felt a little relieved at knowing that he hadn't died slowly from dessication. I promptly taped up the gap in the lid to ensure this never happened again.

Unfortunately that wasn't my only incident. Luckily at the time I had a roommate that had to be up very early for work. At 5am one morning she woke me up to tell me that one of my frogs was in the kitchen. I race downstairs and low and behold, my 2 gorgeous reticulated albinos were missing. I found one in the kitchen. Luckily she had hopped onto a plastic bag and was making a lot of noise squirming around!! This probably saved her life. I searched for a few hours for her brother, but no luck. Devastated I sat down and tried to take my mind off it. That's when I saw him: smiling at me from inside the filter!!! The little bugger had jumped up the "waterfall" part of my HOB filter and ended up sitting in the well of it. He looked totally content sitting it there too.

Needless to say, I ended up selling that tank in favor of one that could be 110% escape-proof. I have a heavy lid and I seal any questionable areas (like the filter) with packing tape. I've been escape free for over a year now. The moral of the story is that these little frogs are suicidal maniacs. Ok just kidding, but really, you have to take every precaution and then some. We all make mistakes in the beginning. I'm so sorry about Alvin, but you don't have to give up. I know that you can take great care of your new guy!
    thank you for recounting what have to be painful memories. I really appreciate the support i have gotten on this forum !! I am on a brief vacation right now and pray my caretaker makes sure the lid is shut.

thank you again and sorry for your losses
    Carole

Thread Information