Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is breeding different species of dart frogs among themselves so frowned upon?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Why is breeding different species of dart frogs among themselves so frowned u...

I won't actually participate meaningfully in this conversation but;

I just recently saw a group of hybrid darts (presumably Dendrobates tinctorious x auratus) that are now owned by a very well know hobbyist. They were probably some of the prettiest frogs i've seen. Big like regular tincs, reticulated like some auratus and varying degrees of color from white to blue. They were awesome! I would love to have a tank full of them.

~Alex

(Please don't regard the above as an endorsement for creating hybrids...)
    Ranitomeya reticulata
    Epipedobates anthonyi "Zarayunga"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cayo Nancy"
    Ranitomeya benedicta
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii
    Ameerega pepperi
    "Abiseo"
    Epipedobates trivittatus "Baja Huallaga"
    Cruziohyla calcarifer
    Hylomantis lemur
    Dendrobates leucomelas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I know, this is old... lol! But I agree with chipmunk, I think if a reputable breeder that truly knew what he/she was doing and has a vast understanding of genetics and dart frog behaviors/patterns, some truly stunning hybrids could come forth! Imagine an Amazonicus the size of a tinc? Or maybe the blues of an Azura with the stripes of a Leuc? Again, it should be left to a professional, and it would need to be stable, but man it could be cool...

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Why is breeding different species of dart frogs among themselves so frowned u...

I am reading along, but have mixed opinions. I, myself, do not mix species. I'd say years ago before I really understood frogs, I would have been all for dart hybrids. I think I enjoy their "pureness", shall we say. I think their own natural beauty is what makes them fascinating. The colors they portray are so brilliant.

I'm not saying an awesome pink frog with turquoise leopard spots wouldn't be cool and that I wouldn't want one if I saw it, I'd just fear what would happen to the hobby...at what point would the hybrids stop? Would anything remain pure once the rainbows begin? Or would it become a contest to produce the prettiest and most unique? I'm not sure.

I do love a good debate .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

5. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Why is breeding different species of dart frogs among themselves so frowned u...

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    ...I'm not saying an awesome pink frog with turquoise leopard spots wouldn't be cool and that I wouldn't want one if I saw it, I'd just fear what would happen to the hobby...at what point would the hybrids stop? Would anything remain pure once the rainbows begin? Or would it become a contest to produce the prettiest and most unique? I'm not sure. I do love a good debate .
    Pink with turquoise leopard spots... now that's a pretty wild one Heather ! Based on my experience with cichlid fish hybrids; once it starts, it would not stop. Flowerhorns and other Central American cichlid hybrids have been around for over 2 decades and still attract fans, specially in Asia. New Discus fish hybrids and morphs appear every year and there is a worldwide demand for them.

Good news is that the frogs been hybridized (or morphed) are Darts (strongly discourage among hobby) or similar and they produce small manageable clutches. Also, Pacman and many other frogs are not easy breeders; so even if they hybridize and produce large numbers, its limited to very few experienced keepers or breeders.

What is needed is responsible breeders and hobbyists willing to cull any excess, unwanted or defective frogs; rather than passing a hybrid for a true species or natural morphs. If not, the only pure guaranteed species would be available in the wild, and we all know that the source can't be exploited forever.

Wild frogs are losing their ground to human habitat destruction; diseases are wiping out entire frog populations, and incoming global heating will change many habitats in the next 4 decades. Cold blooded animals like amphibians will have a very hard time dealing with it and many species will probably go extinct. And sadly, we might not be able to help much if we are too busy struggling with our own survival .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information