Thread: Hi guys! glad to join the pacman family!!!

spearhead

Default Hi guys! glad to join the pacman family!!!

Hi guys i am new to this hobby! Had some questions and hope that most of you can guide me along with your valuable experiences!

1. I am currently feeding forzen farm-bred roaches to my baby albino pacman, is it a good source of food?

2. I read that, bacteria can actually grow in the substrate, having an albino i understand that it isn't good for it to be exposed to sunlight cause of uv. However if let say i am soaking my albino in water, in a separate container, is it beneficial for me to place to tank under sunlight for a short period of time, so that it would heat up the tank and together with the uv light from the sun, it would hopefully wipe out the bacteria?

3. This is with regard to feeding feeder fishes, as i am also keeping fishes, normally i would treat my feeder fishes with parzi-gold (Effective against internal parasites (tapeworms, flukes, flatworms) and quarantine them for up to a week before throwing feeding it to my fish, will it be safe to offer it as a treat to frogs?

4. Currently feeding regime is 2-3 frozen roaches every alternate days, with 2 feeder bullfrog once every two weeks. Calcium plus from repashy dusted twice a week, supervite from repashy dusted once a week. Calcium plus and supervit are not used together on same feeding. Any comments or suggestions to improve this feeding regime?

Many Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hi guys! glad to join the pacman family!!!

sorry I'm have to run out of here fast, so very short version.
    welcome to the forum!

1. yes, make sure you dust them with Ca/vitd3 every other feeding and once a week multivitamins.
    2. they don't need uvb at all, they're adapted to live without it. albino is very sensitive to light.
    3. you better not
    4. please don't feed frogs to a frog, for many reasons, including possible contagious diseases and parasites.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Lija has you covered.

A good resource is the care sheet located here Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

What you are doing looks just fine. I do have a couple of questions out of curiosity.

Why do you feed frozen roaches?

Are you talking about actually placing the frog outside? Direct UV is the only thing that would be potentially effective against the bacteria light wise. If you are just placing it under a window with light shining in, that will have little to no UV coming through. The UV will be almost 100% filtered out. Even screen tops on cages will drop it by 50-70%. Either way, for your frog UV is not good, so it's a moot point.

I would reccomend replacing the feeder frogs with either 1 day old chicks, or another non amphibian. If you do use mammals, once every month would be a better regemin. I bet he loves those frogs eh? haha. If I could get clean frogs, I would feed them, but I can't.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Whats wrong with feeder fishes ?We breed mollies and guppies and I feed the extras to the frogs on occasion .

spearhead

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Lija has you covered.

A good resource is the care sheet located here Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

What you are doing looks just fine. I do have a couple of questions out of curiosity.

Why do you feed frozen roaches?

Are you talking about actually placing the frog outside? Direct UV is the only thing that would be potentially effective against the bacteria light wise. If you are just placing it under a window with light shining in, that will have little to no UV coming through. The UV will be almost 100% filtered out. Even screen tops on cages will drop it by 50-70%. Either way, for your frog UV is not good, so it's a moot point.

I would reccomend replacing the feeder frogs with either 1 day old chicks, or another non amphibian. If you do use mammals, once every month would be a better regemin. I bet he loves those frogs eh? haha. If I could get clean frogs, I would feed them, but I can't.

There are a few reasons why i feed frozen roaches, firstly its really very convenient for me, i dont have to handle/look after all the live cricket/roaches. Secondly i believe that they are parasite free. Thirdly, i feel that frozen roaches can retain their freshness since i kept them in the freezer all the time. When i need them, i only take 2-3 roaches out of the pack and defroze them before feeding.

haha i meant that once awhile when i soak my albino in another container, the tank will be empty since my albino is soaking in another container, will it be beneficial to place the empty tank under direct sunlight before my baby albino finish his soaking session. Which then i would remove the tank from sunlight and then back to its original position and place my albino back to its home.

1 day old chick is too big for my albino, he is just about 1-2inch. I fed him feeder frogs due to its availability. And i want my pacman to have a well-balanced diet and not eating frozen roaches forever. It is just like a human eating a same meal over and over again. Easily available here are normally feeder fishes/frogs/crickets. I know crickets are safe, but then the problem comes when it escapes and roam around my house, its quite a hassle to catch them again, and my whole house will turn into a jungle. Beside i still need to gut load those cricket, i am better off using frozen roaches.

spearhead

Can i add another two questions?

Can i ask how do you guys actually pick up your pacman frogs from its enclosure? do you pick them up from the back or from its side?

And this morning when i wake up, i went to take a look at my baby albino as well as to change the water in the water dish, i found him inhale himself to make himself bigger, like how a frog crooks, the back expands, when i started to mist the tank walls, is it normal for a pacman to do that? is it a kind of defence system for them?

Ivan M

Quote Originally Posted by spearhead View Post
    Can i add another two questions?

Can i ask how do you guys actually pick up your pacman frogs from its enclosure? do you pick them up from the back or from its side?
    Best Video you will see on the internet on handling Pacmans.

Frog Handling - YouTube

spearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan M View Post
    Best Video you will see on the internet on handling Pacmans.

Frog Handling - YouTube
    Thanks for recommending this awesome video bro Ivan, I have indeed learnt a lot

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Welcome!!!

Thread Information