Thread: reptivite with d3 mixed with water

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kristenmarie211

Unhappy reptivite with d3 mixed with water

First off, for those that don't know. If you mix reptivite with d3 with water and accidentally spill some on the meal worms you will kill them in less than a minute. Although I couldn't get my sick tree frog to eat it anyway (bloated and lethargic). Because I couldn't get my tree frog to eat it but he really needed calcium, I missed it with some water and put some in his mouth to. Hopefully help him improve. What happened instead is after a small amount, he seized and died. Why did this happen? I know it killed the meal worms but this stuff is meant for reptiles and amphibians. Can someone please tell me what happened or if they can shed light on the situation?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: reptivite with d3 mixed with water

Hello Kristen and welcome to FF. I'm sorry for your frog's death ! Not sure what happened to your frog. What I recommend you do now is to clean and sterilize the enclosure and all decor. Throw away anything that can't, like substrate and live plants. Better safe than sorry and getting a new frog contaminated.

Also, would not use that vitamin just in case. Contact ZooMed and maybe will give you a replacement or refund. Have never used Reptovite; presently using Repashy's products with no problems. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Kristenmarie211

I have cleaned out the vivarium and changed out substrate etc although I do have two other tree frogs that are thriving wonderfully with no signs of illness. I will definitely never use reptivite again. Might switch to what you use.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi there,
    I'm sorry for the loss of your frog.
    Curious, what type of treefrog do you own?
    There is absolutely nothing bad/wrong with reptivite in use with tree frogs. I used it in the past for a long while with no problems what-so-ever. Reptivite is a muti-vitamine only, not a calcium supplement. Only dust feeders once per week with the reptivite and separately dust with a calcium and d3 powder every other day.
    What was the reason for mixing it with water? I've never heard of that before, and have only dusted feeders with the powder.
    Perhaps the mealworms drowned? Or, I know crickets intake oxygen through their exo-skeletons, maybe mealworms do also? If the water and reptivite solution completely covered the exo-skeleton, perhaps this would explain the death of the mealworms? Just a guess....
    Mealworms aren't a recomended food sourse for treefrogs anyhow, the chitin is difficult to digest and they have been known to be the cause of impaction, just fyi.
    I have no idea what would have caused the death in your frog, but I doubt it was the reptivite.
    I do not use reptivite anymore, I use Rep-Cal Herptivite once per week, and Rep-Cal phosphorus free calcium with d3 every other feeding (about 2-3 times/week).
    I have also used Repashy Calcium Plus for dusting feeders, this product is an all in one cricket balancer. I liked it and would use it again...
    Great that you were able to clean out the enclosure so quickly, and that your current frogs appear healthy. You should still keep a close eye on them.

If you can answer these questions (which are found in the sticky, Trouble in the Enclsure), someone may be able to help with what may have actually happened to your treefrog:

1-size of enclosure
    2-# on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?)
    3-humidity
    4-temp
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6-materials used for substrate
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv
    8-main food source
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )
    10-lighting
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12-when is the last time he ate
    13-have you found poop lately
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog
    16-how long have you owned him
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats
    19- about how often the frog is handled
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

i know this may seem like a dumb question, but when you mixed that up with water, did you use dechlorinated water?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Kristenmarie211

They are green tree frogs. I used water cause he refused food but needed nutrition and calcium. Reptivite with d3 has calcium. Only was using meal worms because I needed to try to get him to eat and as I was at work, I stopped by the closest pet store and they had no crickets. It was a thin solution with mostly water and wouldn't have drowned the meal worms because there wasn't that much spilled plus it killed the meal worms in less than a minute which is exactly what happened to my tree frog. They both went into what looked to be seizures and died in less than a minute. My enclosure is a 55 gallon tank half aquatic. Now only has 2 green tree frogs, 5 fish, and a snail. Enclosure is about 80% humid at about 75 degrees. Full spectrum lighting but more light on aquatic side until now. Conditioned water in aquatic side but I was using unconditioned for occasional mist Until
    Yesterday. Coconut husk eco earth mixed with potting soil (un fertilized) normal diet is crickets gut loaded with fluckers orange cubes and calcium infused water gel. Last meal I'm unsure of but 2 days or 3 probably. Lots of poop since I had three frogs, had him around 3 mos (got young) captive bred, occasional moth/fly for treat, I don't handle him cause their skin is sensitive, and it's medium traffic but only from 5:30 pm until about 10 pm. No traffic during the day

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kristenmarie211 View Post
    They are green tree frogs. I used water cause he refused food but needed nutrition and calcium. Reptivite with d3 has calcium. Only was using meal worms because I needed to try to get him to eat and as I was at work, I stopped by the closest pet store and they had no crickets. It was a thin solution with mostly water and wouldn't have drowned the meal worms because there wasn't that much spilled. My enclosure is a 55 gallon tank half aquatic. Now only has 2 green tree frogs, 5 fish, and a snail. Enclosure is about 80% humid at about 75 degrees. Full spectrum lighting but more light on aquatic side until now. Conditioned water in aquatic side but I was using unconditioned for occasional mist Until
    Yesterday. Coconut husk economic earth mixed with potting soil (un fertilized) normal diet is crickets gut loaded with flickers orange cubes and calcium infused water gel. Last meal I'm unsure of but 2 days or 3 probably. Lots of poop since I had tree frogs, had him around 3 mos (got young) captive bred, occasional moth/fly for treat, I don't handle him cause their skin is sensitive, and it's medium traffic but only from 5:30 pm until about 10 pm. No traffic during the day
    I know reptivite has both calcium and d3, but it's not suitable singly. You do need to supplement with a calcium and d3 only powder as well. I don't know about the fish and snail, it could pose a parasite risk? Someone else will need to chime in on that.
    As far as your water, if you were previously not treating water for misting, this could also be a problem. Godd you're treating all of the water now.
    Everything else seems fine....
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Kristenmarie211

I'm pretty sure it was conditioned but couldn't swear to it. Would that cause them to instantly seize and die?

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm pretty sure it was conditioned but couldn't swear to it. Would that cause them to instantly seize and die?
    Were/are you adding a water treatment? If not, then your water is not conditioned/treated. This could cause frogs to tox out and die, but usually takes a while and doesn't happen instantly.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Kristenmarie211

This statement was for whether or not I mixed the reptivite with conditioned water or not

Nationality
    [United States]

First off, for those that don't know. If you mix reptivite with d3 with water and accidentally spill some on the meal worms you will kill them in less than a minute. Although I couldn't get my sick tree frog to eat it anyway (bloated and lethargic). Because I couldn't get my tree frog to eat it but he really needed calcium, I missed it with some water and put some in his mouth to. Hopefully help him improve. What happened instead is after a small amount, he seized and died. Why did this happen? I know it killed the meal worms but this stuff is meant for reptiles and amphibians. Can someone please tell me what happened or if they can shed light on the situation?

Hello,
    Very sorry to hear about your frog
    I wanted to share this information with you.
    Saurian Enterprises, Inc :: Calcium Deficiency in Dart Frogs

It is from a dart frog care sheet. However, the information is really good.

I'm not sure how others feel about this brand of supplements . I would not use it.
    Do a 'google' search ; you will find some very objective opinions as to why NOT to use it for amphibians.

Consider a routine / alternating the use of more than one product. ie:

Rep-Cal Supplements
    Rep-Cal Supplements Calcium
    Repashy Superfoods :: RETAIL SALES :: By Product Name :: Calcium Plus :: Calcium Plus 4 oz BAG - Repashy Ventures - Distributor Center

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Default reptivite with d3 mixed with water

Both high and low calcium levels can cause seizures. The percentage of frogs having calcium deficiencies definitely outweighs the number of overdoses. This is mainly due to lack of supplementation, by us, in captivity.

Brands do matter. One of my retf's starting having tetany last year out of the blue, even though receiving supplements routinely, both weekly Herptivite and every other day calcium/D3. I checked the dates and they were not expired. I switched to repcal calcium with D 3 (as recommended by my vet) and continued to use herptivite and the tetany was gone within 2 days.

So many things can change the amount of supplement they actually get... did the frog eat the night you used the supplement? How many did he eat? How much coated the cricket or insect? How big is the insect(s)? How much did the insect clean off before they were eaten? Did the insect get wet and the supplement washed off? Etc. This is why it is also a good idea to dust their food just prior to feeding. It will help to eliminate a few of these possibilities of less supplement on your frogs insects.

I would consider returning the Reptivite...it is formulated for reptiles. Repashy and Herptivite are great options for frogs.

Yes, it is necessary to also have a separate calcium supplement, one that has vitamin D3 so the calcium can be properly absorbed. Otherwise, it will pass through their intestines with minimal absorption, which can again lead to deficiency.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Both high and low calcium levels can cause seizures. The percentage of frogs having calcium deficiencies definitely outweighs the number of overdoses. This is mainly due to lack of supplementation, by us, in captivity.
    Just out of curiosity, do you usually see other signs before seizures from deficiency, like MBD? I'm not super familiar with vitamin/supplementation symptoms (most of my animals can eat whole prey from a very young age... So much simpler that way!)

guilletto

in Spain I don't find rep cal products. Are Exo terra supplements good? some people say to me "buy Reptivite " other "buy herptivite" ...and so on . I don't know what I must buy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi all,
    Well.....
    First off, I don't endorse nor particularly care for reptivite. I did use it, never had a problem. Switched to Repashy products and am now using the Rep-Cal brand calcium and separate mult vitamin (herptivite).
    I do know, as I'm looking at an old sample that I had, that the reptivite is safe for amphibians.
    Zoo Med ReptiVite Vitamin - Free Shipping
    Also, I did a brief search online about the product, and can't find any real accounts of why reptivite is un-safe for amphibians.
    This mysterious issue of reptivite having killed meal worms and a tree frog, seems to me very unlikely. I would guess it was either a drowning situation, or coincidence, or something enitirely different.
    Heather has made some good points. If there is too much of any product ingested at one time, this could cause a problem as well.
    But, as I said, I do not use reptivite at all any more, and can't speak for it's efficacy.
    I dis-agree that the product is dangerous, however....

And, guilletto:
    The exo-terra products work fine. Just be sure to use a separate vitamin and separate calcium.
    Dust with calcium a couple to three times per week and the vitamin once per week.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

guilletto

Thks for your answer! I wanna know a last thing. I bought Reptivite alone because it seemed it included Calcium and vitD3 (also minerals, vitamins,...) Then, must I buy another product with calcium :S ?

Nationality
    [United States]

I found this while searching online:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...-vitamins.html
    interesting because John states reptivite should be fine, by itself?
    Now I'm really confused.

Nationality
    [United States]

A safer way to dose the calcium when our frogs aren't eating is to use a product like reptaboost or the liquid electroltye replacement(s) soaks made for amphibians, or to carefully force feed the appropriate amount of insect(s) with the appropriate amount of supplement.

Here is a thread we had not long ago about calcium, vitamin D3 and why herps need the supplements when in captivity...
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...ut-vit-d3.html
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

It's tough to get an exact dose for each individual frog due to their own eating habits.

From what I have learned and experienced over the years, this is what I have found...
    You should use a calcium with vitamin D3 supplement every other day. For a MVI, Repashy can be used daily and Herptivite should be used one day a week, but not on the same day as the calcium .

You're right, though...there is a lot of different information on the topic.

The one thing we do know for sure is that without calcium with vita D3 for frogs in captivity...they will have bone, muscular, and digestive issues and they will develop MDB.

fr0g9

First thing that needs to be pointed out is Frogs don't drink through their mouths (DUH!), so if you decide for force water+reptivite down his mouth you could potentially suffocate him.

Also, you should never attempt force feeding Vitamin powder on its own, that could put a death sentence on a perfectly healthy frog.

From the symptoms you describe, I'm almost positive that your frog was suffering from Edema. There are many different ways Edema can happen, one of the more common ways is kidney failure due to Vitamin Toxicity. Based on the fluid retention you describe this is the most likely scenario. Once the kidney fails its very unfortunate but there's not much you can do, I'm sorry to hear about your Frog. I hope this helps you figure out what might have went wrong.

Thread Information