Thread: Where to get a tree frog?

blanco

Default Where to get a tree frog?

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of research about different types of frogs and think I have decided I would like to get a tree frog. I am not sure what kind....a white's, a green tree frog, or a clown tree frog. Anyway, I've read lots of horror stories about frogs from petco having illnesses. Are the frogs from petsmart just as likely to have health problems? Is there a web site you guys recommend to order a frog from a breeder? I special ordered my fish straight from Hawaii and they arrived so healthy and beautiful, I would definitely be willing to special order a frog from a reputable source. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

laura

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Where to get a tree frog?

Hello Laura and welcome to FF! With PETCO and PetSmart it is a matter of hit and miss. Problem is their managers are doing management and their small animal employee might know less about frog care than you do. If those are the only local options; try and find out if they are expecting any of the frogs you want and be there on arrival day. I bought a Pacman at PetSmart once and she was fine. BTW; read the forum care articles for info and do not follow those stores care advice.

Any local Mom/Pop type pet shops in area? I deal with two local ones and their herp/amphib departments are well cared for. Have not ordered on line but they are various vendors in forum that have good reputations. Head to sell area and you will see their older offers and usually can find contact information in there. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

welcome to the forum Laura. you cannot go wrong ordering from any of the sponsors of frog forum. everyone has their favs on here. i highly recommend LLL Reptile. others will recommend Josh's, NE Herp, ect. check out the testimonials subforum. it will give you the opportunity to read the good and bad of the frogging world

Testimonials

Carlos is spot on about petsmart and petco. and small independent pet stores are a good source.. i don't have any in this area good with them, but they are around. good luck in your search, and for what it's worth, ounce for ounce you just cannot beat white's for their stellar personalities. of course, i'm biased, since i have 5....lol
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree with Bill 100% HIT AND MISS WITH THE CORPORATE WORLD RETAILERS. I would recomend getting frogs from LLL Reptile/ Joshs frogs. For your vivarium / terrarium set up: i would go to NEW ENGLAND HERP. Just based off experience. Please do your research on care on your frog before you purchase it. If its if your first time please get a beginner frog. *green tree frog/ gray tree frog/ convict frog" if you are not a novice to care on frogs look into getting whites or red eyes. If you want a frog awake during the day time vs night. Those are all options to think about =).

If you look into getting a red eye tree frog. I am breeding them and my tadpoles will be ready in JULY. BEST OF LUCK. STAY with the forum... we will guide you on the right path.=)

-Corey

Thread Information