Thread: 'Rescued' a tadpole, and now need some help

Pyxis

Question 'Rescued' a tadpole, and now need some help

So I was in the pet store the other day, just buying crickets for my gecko and dragon, and I drifted by the feeder fish tank. I peeked in, because I actually keep a few as pets, and I have room in my aquarium to add more, so sometimes if I see a pretty one I take it home. Anyway, I spotted a tadpole in there, about and inch and a half long, kind of a greyish-green. I asked about it, and they said sometimes they get them with the fish - the people who breed them keep them in the ponds with the fish because they help keep them cleaner. Well, I went ahead and took it, and now it's living in my aquarium with my pet feeder goldfish. The pet store people told me he'd be okay in there eating what the fish miss, but I really want him to have his own tank.

What size/kind of habitat is he going to need? I know he'll need land once he gets his legs. What's the best way to set up a half land half water tank? What should I feed him? I'm assuming he's a bullfrog but I don't know for certain. Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 'Rescued' a tadpole, and now need some help

For now, I would place him into a 5 or 10 gallon aquarium with a sealed lid, and put down some substrate, such as sand, gravel, or smooth stones on the bottom, as well as plants to hide by. You will need a water conditioner, I use this product and it works fine for all 6 of my amphibians: http://www.petland.ca/media/catalog/...5561219761.jpg

Refresh 25-50% of the water every 2 days, in order to keep pH and Ammonia levels in check.

I would suggest a good filter, but make sure your tadpole cannot get sucked up. We'll guide you through as your tadpole matures into a frog.

One thing we'll really need to know is: What kind of frog is he/she? A picture would work magic in helping us identify your tadpole. If it's a bullfrog tadpole, I'll be able to tell. I see them all the time at my nearby lake.

As for food, frozen then boiled lettuce and then crushed into little chunks works fine, as well as thawed bloodworms. I can link you an article on tadpole raising.

As for when he/she is an adult, as he/she matures they'll need a 30 gallon tank, and for adults, a 55 gallon tank is the minimum, whilst a 100 gallon would be preferable. I can give you a rough idea of how a juvenile/adult bullfrogs tank should be arranged, and examples as well.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Thread Information