Thread: One week and they have touched any food. Please reply!

Hidr

Default One week and they have touched any food. Please reply!

Still active and I hear them bark at night from time to time. But they well not eat. Crickets, wax worms or night crawlers. Should I take them back to the store? (I'd rather not but no toad vets around here) I put stuff in there and then net it out when they drown. I tried to hand feed and they are just not interested food.
    Is it to early to worry? I am changing out the water every other day. The water is staying at 70 degrees. I put filter material in from an established tank to jump start the cycle.
    This is the set up.
    Sorry about the glare from the window.

I have been thinking of using water from one of my established tanks instead of tap. I do water changes on my fish tanks weekly and all fish are healthy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: One week and they have touched any food. Please reply!

Cover 3 sides of the tank with some kind of background, doesn't have to be anything fancy, could be as simple as construction paper taped on. It will make them feel more secure and could help get them eating

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Hidr

Thank you Ill do that.

kroberts009

i can only speak for my toads, but mine generally will only eat on land. they never go after anything in the water. mine also will not eat from my hand. they will not tong feed either. they like to chase after everything.

just to clarify, you do de-chlorinate the tap water when you make water canges, correct?

Nationality
    [United States]

If you use your tongs to add crickets into the tank and use them to poke at the crickets to corral them towards your toads and before you know it they should come hopping after the tongs

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Hidr

Yes I use Prime.

My frogs are rarely out of the water. I did see one make an attempt to catch a cricket but missed.

Sidius

Mine only eat on land as well, they all stay in/near the water but when the top opens they all look up and as soon as the crickets drop in, they all move to the land area for their feast. Maybe try adding a little more dry areas?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

How long have you had them? If you just got them they are probably stressed. It takes time for them to adjust to their new home. Changing the water so often could be stressing them as well. Do you have a filter you can use?

Hidr

Yes the tank has a filter and I used some media from one of my established tanks. Ad the title says I have had them a week. But they have only been moved to the 10 gallon for a couple days. I think I could do something about some more land or maybe redo the land I have with something better?

Hidr

Still not eating. Thinking of redoing the whole tank with less water. Maybe a bowl I change out daily? Or should I leave it alone until they start eating. I have some eoc earth I can use and a nice bowl and can change it out daily. I just want them to eat.

Ajuki

I can't really see much of the tank from your pictures but I agree maybe some more land. There are these cool turtle docks you can get that float in the corners and stay in place with magnets. Other than that overheard of people floating ecoearth in small containers.

Also from what I've read you can get away with changing the water once a week with the filter there. Try giving it a few days of not going in the tank much. I have a bowl in mine which I do every 2 or 3 days when I give them crickets. This way I'm not in the tank everyday.

When they were in the 5gal were they more in the water or more on land? Have they brightened at all since they've been in the 10?

Hidr

Two of them turned bright green within a day in the 5 gallon tank. The other one went from black to brown. Not really any green on him.
    So I changed the tank. Two bowls of water so the crickets wont drown within hours of going in the tank. The frogs seem to like it better, hoping in and out the water for a while before settling down. One seems to prefer the bowl the other two are hiding on the eco earth. Still not eating but they are still fat and active. Other then changing the bowls of water out I won't be bothering them anymore.
    I think one of the crickets I put in last night is gone. Have not seen but two.

kroberts009

your new set up, sounds like mine. i have an eco earth base, with a cave made from stacking stones. then i have two bowls (cat food dishes actually.. lol) but i change the bowls water atleast twice a week (usually 3 times).

(all plastic) i have 3 standing plants, and then i took a plant and tore it apart, and stuffed a bunch of the leaves in the water, which my two hide under. 90 percent of the time..

hope things begin looking up for your little guys!

Ajuki

Any news on your little guys?

Hidr

2 passed away this morning. The one that finally ate is still here but I don't have much hope now for him.

Creamballman

I'm sorry for your loss. As far as i know fire bellies can go max 2 weeks without eating. Maybe if the other doesn't eat you should consider force feeding until he does.

Hidr

Ben has ate at least once since I got him. Maybe twice. Not sure need to tear down the tank and look for the food. Anyways now he is hiding under the eco earth. I keep having to dig him up cause I was worried he got out. Wish I could see him eat cause all I do is worry about him.

Hidr

Seems Ben much be eating when I don't look. lol Anyways I am not as upset about this as I was. I hate it the others died but I hate poor Ben being alone. So going to work on setting back up the 10 gallon so I can get a couple more and them move him in with them after I am sure they are not sick. How long should I wait? A month? Less? More?
    Thank you all for all your help and replies.

Thread Information