Thread: Getting African Dwarf Frogs

blanco

Default Getting African Dwarf Frogs

Hi, I am new to this site and am so glad I found you guys! I have been researching many species of frogs and have decided that ADF's are probably the best choice for me. Before I get any, though, I have a few questions I couldn't seem to find answers to anywhere on line. I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me...

1. Are ADF's sensitive to water currents like ACF's are or is a regular aquarium filter ok to use?

2. How do I decide if I should add frogs to my tank that already houses mollies and loaches or set up a new tank devoted only to ADF's?

3. If you have a filter in the tank, how do you keep a lid on the tank with no spaces for escape? The aquarium filters I have always used hang over the side of the tank, thus creating a space that isn't sealed in by the aquarium lid.

4. Are ADF's able to transmit disease to my fish or to catch disease from them? For example, if I had frogs in with my fish and then the fish got ich, it wouldn't be possible to treat the fish without first removing the frogs, correct?

5. Does the tank you are going to be putting the frogs in need to be completely cycled (the nitrogen cycle) or since they also come up for air, is the cycle not important as long as regular water changes are made?

Thank you in advance for any help. I appreciate it and am really excited to get my frog tank ready to go!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hidr

Default Re: Getting African Dwarf Frogs

1. Mine don't seem to be.
    2. Mine are in a well planted tank with other fish. So planted that I rarely see all the fish or all the frogs. They get lost in the jungle. Not sure how risky it would be to put them in your tank if you don't have a lot of plants for them to hide.
    3. When I first got mine I used plastic mesh from the crafting store to keep the in my 5 gallon. Now that they are in the 55 i have not used anything but the tank lid and have not had a problem with jumpers.
    4. Mine have never been sick. I do QT them before adding them into the tank with the fish and other frogs. Preventive is the best way to take care of fish and ADF's.
    5. My tanks were cycled. Since they spend all their time in the water I would think that would be best. Even though they don't breath water I am sure water gets into them threw the skin.
    I can only give you my experience. What works for me may not work for you. These days I find myself wishing I had kept them in a tank of their own with a few less plants so I could see them and hear them again. May still do that some day.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting African Dwarf Frogs

1. Are ADF's sensitive to water currents like ACF's are or is a regular aquarium filter ok to use?
    yes they are but you can just get a whisper filter they dont provide much current ... There is some controversy on sponge filters

2. How do I decide if I should add frogs to my tank that already houses mollies and loaches or set up a new tank devoted only to ADF's?
    Usually a species tank is recommended however you can usually get away with adding them into a tank if they have places to hide and you are making sure they eat.

3. If you have a filter in the tank, how do you keep a lid on the tank with no spaces for escape? The aquarium filters I have always used hang over the side of the tank, thus creating a space that isn't sealed in by the aquarium lid.
    I personally use an in tank filter and just put something over the intake to keep any fins from being sucked in

4. Are ADF's able to transmit disease to my fish or to catch disease from them? For example, if I had frogs in with my fish and then the fish got ich, it wouldn't be possible to treat the fish without first removing the frogs, correct?
    No frogs are amphibians and they can not catch or transmit anything to your fish.

5. Does the tank you are going to be putting the frogs in need to be completely cycled (the nitrogen cycle) or since they also come up for air, is the cycle not important as long as regular water changes are made?
    You must cycle your tank ..African Dwarf Frogs do not drink they absorb moisture through their skin so if any ammonia or anything in the tank they are highly sensitive to it.

Thread Information