Thread: White's Feeding Problems - help!

Stardust369

Default White's Feeding Problems - help!

So I've been having issues with this for a while as I haven't owned more than one frog at a time before this year.
    I have two frogs, about a 6 month age difference (and difference between when I got them). When I got them, both were very active and would always eat right away. About two weeks ago I moved them in together because both were doing well and growing. At first everything was fine, but now I'm having issues.

The big one - Keahi, eats all the crickets! It's not like I only give them a few crickets and she's faster - no, I give them 30 small crickets in two seperate cricket bowls, and the next morning Keahi has wiped out 80% of them in both bowls! Loa is eating a little because she is pooping, but she hasn't grown any and she is a lot more shy than she used to be. I know it could just be stress too, but I don't want her to die! I did put in a bowl with a few mealworms as well and about half of those have been eaten by the small one (I know because Keahi doesn't like mealworms).

I'm just wondering if I should separate them forever, or separate them for feeding time, or keep everything as it is and hope they work it out.

-Renee

P.S. At the moment I have put the small one in a kritter keeper with about 10 crickets so that I can make sure she is eating. Will the crickets be able to get out of the keeper through the small holes in the top? I don't want them all over my house..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Feeding Problems - help!

Hi Stardust! Appears the smaller one is stressed. How large are both frogs (snout to vent)? How large is enclosure? Does it has decor and hiding places so frogs can take a break from seeing each other? And just to rule out a possibility; have you done fecal tests for parasites on these guys?

Crickets are escape artists. Would not worry about loose crickets in house, they will eventually be found dead or alive. Do not feed your animals any recaptured feeders since they could become contaminated with stuff around house floor (i.e. sprays residue, etc.). Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Stardust369

Hi,

Thanks for the help! I haven't measured my frogs but I did make a post about them before moving them in, with size comparison pictures. Here it is: New Froggy Roommates! Hopefully that gives you a good idea of their relative size.
    My enclosure is the Small/Tall Exo Terra terrarium (18x18x24 I think). I have plenty of plants and hides in there for them, and I keep the crickets in two glass bowls so they are easy to catch. I haven't done any tests for parasites: how would I go about that and how much will it cost me?

I don't mind the crickets that much but a few months ago my roommate found a live one in her bed and she wasn't too happy with me.. I don't want a repeat of that incident!

So far Loa (the smaller one) is doing good, I separated her and gave her some crickets and she ate a few of them. Do you think it is okay to seperate her, or will that make her more stressed? I could take out Keahi (the big one) and feed her seperately if that would be better for Loa..

deeishealthy

I have a similar situation here and what I do is tong feed the smaller frog three crickets before letting about six loose in the tank for hunting. Ernie (the bigger) is a crazy hunter and will get the majority, so I want to be sure that Bert gets his fair share first.

Gentlemangorath

Quote Originally Posted by deeishealthy View Post
    I have a similar situation here and what I do is tong feed the smaller frog three crickets before letting about six loose in the tank for hunting. Ernie (the bigger) is a crazy hunter and will get the majority, so I want to be sure that Bert gets his fair share first.
    I tong feed in order to properly distribute food as well, and if they don't seem interested/the cricket isn't active enough to draw attention, I let the cricket touch it's legs to something in order to get it moving. It usually gets them to take interest in it at least.

Stardust369

Quote Originally Posted by deeishealthy View Post
    Love your frog names!

Stardust369

Update:

I tried tong feeding and I also tried keeping her alone for a night with some crickets but she didn't eat anything still. I think she is probably just stressed so I'm going to re-separate the two indefinitely. Good thing I kept my other terrarium!

Thread Information