Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hookworms

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Hookworms

Well I got Bertha's and Clyde's fecal exams done, as Bertha has been bloating and I can't seem to figure out why. Both frogs tested positive for hookworms, which was quite unexpected... Clyde seems perfectly fine and rarely come in contact with her, especially since she hasn't seemed well. Bertha's stool which I sent in was very strange. It was quite small, and the outer casing was green and very slimy, almost looked like moss had grown on it. The inside was a red-ish color. Obviously they do have hookworms, however I feel something more may be going on with Bertha, any thoughts?
    Some recent pics of Bertha.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364939322.767272.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  80.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364939361.124510.jpg
Views: 2934
Size:  74.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Hookworms

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Well I got Bertha's and Clyde's fecal exams done, as Bertha has been bloating and I can't seem to figure out why. Both frogs tested positive for hookworms, which was quite unexpected... Clyde seems perfectly fine and rarely come in contact with her, especially since she hasn't seemed well. Bertha's stool which I sent in was very strange. It was quite small, and the outer casing was green and very slimy, almost looked like moss had grown on it. The inside was a red-ish color. Obviously they do have hookworms, however I feel something more may be going on with Bertha, any thoughts?
    Some recent pics of Bertha.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364939322.767272.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  80.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364939361.124510.jpg
Views: 2934
Size:  74.9 KB
    Worms can cause bloating and digestion issues. This will probably go away after they are cured of the worms.

cyris69

Hmm my girl looks like that very bloated (she does get a bit smaller when not puffed up) but seems fine and very active during feeding. Is there anything I should be concerned with as well? How is this contracted?

Locascio

you can treat hookworms with pancure by giveing .1ml pur 100 grams of WT. Do this 2x a week for 2 weeks inject the pray item than feed to your frog ive been useing this stuff for years and it works. you still want your vet to do another fecal exam in a few weeks to make shure its cleared up. i used to work for a hurp vet and this is how you want to go about it.

Locascio

from the pics your frogs look really sick i hope you have the money to spend to treat them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hookworms

Quote Originally Posted by Locascio View Post
    from the pics your frogs look really sick i hope you have the money to spend to treat them.
    Well I only posted Bertha in pics. She acts normal... Eats fine and soaks normally. She just seems bloated. Useless 100%, I only tested him just to be safe, not because anything looked wrong.. I'm also curious though, how could this have been contracted?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hookworms

To be honest, I merely thought she was fat this whole time... So I actually cut back on her feeding and when nothing changed that's when I worried.

cyris69

I'm also curious how this gets contracted, now its making me wonder about my girl.

I wonder as well, as my frog is on the bloated side and I do not over feed her. Could this be something they pick up from feeders like crickets or super worms or Dubia?

Eric Walker

If never heard of panacur as a liquid. Only a powder. Do most vets carry both?

Quote Originally Posted by Locascio View Post
    you can treat hookworms with pancure by giveing .1ml pur 100 grams of WT. Do this 2x a week for 2 weeks inject the pray item than feed to your frog ive been useing this stuff for years and it works. you still want your vet to do another fecal exam in a few weeks to make shure its cleared up. i used to work for a hurp vet and this is how you want to go about it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    .. I'm also curious though, how could this have been contracted?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyris69 View Post
    I'm also curious how this gets contracted, now its making me wonder about my girl.
    Oh those darned parasites... where are they coming from ? Since we got a few minutes while relaxing from lunch... let me tell you a story! Helminths (parasitic worms) find their way into a host through contaminated food, water, soil, mosquito bites, and even during copulation . In the case of our frogs; that can mean they had them when wild caught, or the breeder stock was contaminated, or the pet shop or seller stock was contaminated, or one of your stock was contaminated. Once a frog has intestinal worms (or other enteric parasites) and it's not treated while undergoing quarentine or is added to a collection... those parasites are going to spread! Even if not kept in same enclosure; your handling and the use of common tools for cleaning and feeding will be enough to spread the nasties around .

So how come some of your stock shows signs of disease and others don't? Well, different organisms have different immunity to parasites and other health issues. A keeper's whole collection could have enteric parasites and the frogs immunity systems would be fighting them nefarious invisible foes successfully; until one day someone is stressed ! The health/disease balance would tip over and if not addresssed properly by the keeper in a timely manner, could mean the loss of one or more frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Walker View Post
    If never heard of panacur as a liquid. Only a powder. Do most vets carry both?
    Beleive veterinarians have access to liquid Panacur and many other drugs not available to common public. Seen also a paste form used for horses too. Also, form could vary geographically, since pet medications have different control rules in various countries. For the powder form... this is what I do.

Since I treat my own fish (been keeping them over 50 years) kind of developed my own sense on how and why to medicate pets. When I get a new frog (or fish) it goes into quarentine and nothing is shared with anyone else in colection. A week after animal is eating in new enclosure (or tank) I go ahead and do a deworming with Panacur. I buy it either at Petsmart (SafeGuard Canine Dewormer) or similar product at Amazon. Then I get me some nicely fat and happy night crawlers (Panacur powder sticks to them really well) from my bins. Wear gloves, don't breath or snort stuff, and transfer Panacur powder into sandwich bag (enough to have some leftover in bag when done breading) + Night Crawlers + shake it baby = Panacur breaded night crawlers. Warning: if you do speak worm language please wear hearing protection at this stage .

OK, now get your plastic tweezers and dangle the worms in front of hungry frog... whack! Please note that for little frogs you might need to cut the night crawlers into mouth sized pieces. Feed enough "Panacured" night crawlers to satiation for 2 consecutive feeding days and repeat same in 2 weeks. You are done deworming so have feces tested for parasites a week or two after 2nd treatment.

Oh wait... OMG I did not weight the Panacur dose? That's right! My fish and frogs do not overdose on Panacur when mouth sized food pieces (prawn for fish, night crawlers for frogs) are completely breaded in the powdery stuff and feed to satiation. Little guys will eat a bit, bigger guys will eat more, so it's like an uncomplicated appetite regulated dosage system. For liquid dosage you can follow Vince's instructional post. Also, if you go to FF "First Aid" section there are other delivery methods discussed.

Keep your habitats clean, quarentine all new stock, do preventive Panacur treatment on all arrivals; and your frogs should be parasite worm free. If a frog is infected to point it gets weak and sick it's time for a vet visit; or you risk loosing it. Also, do clean and disinfect the enclosure of an infected frog following 2nd treatment every 2 weeks. Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

13. 3 members thank Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank You Carlos!!

Please note that from my understanding Hookworms are difficult to get rid of and you may have to dispose of certain furniture that belongs to your frogs. Driftwood, plants, ect. Anything that these parasites can latch onto and hide.

Better safe than risking reintroducing the worms to them once more after they're cured by accident.

15. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Thank You Carlos!!

Please note that from my understanding Hookworms are difficult to get rid of and you may have to dispose of certain furniture that belongs to your frogs. Driftwood, plants, ect. Anything that these parasites can latch onto and hide.

Better safe than risking reintroducing the worms to them once more after they're cured by accident.
    Thanks for adding that ; had no idea the damned nematodes would play hide and seek with us ! Guess you could boil plastic decor or feeding dishes for 10 minutes and bake rocks at 350 for same amount of time; but driftwood, and live plants would be "kaput."

Also, would need to wipe down the enclosure good. I would use an undiluted unscented clorox (gloves and ventilation required!) soaked cellulose sponge and then rinse enclosure well until no smell is left (I do that with infected aquariums). Then a final wipe down with a sponge soaked in concentrated solution (about 10X) of water conditioner (de-chlorinator). This clorox sponge bath works well in tanks (glass, silicone sealant, hard plastic) but I would not use it in anything that can absorb it and later leach into frog habitat (i.e. wood). Good luck!

Nationality
    [Canada]

it looks like Carlos and Grif got you covered, but I'll add some

vet can make any form that you need, actually vet tech will do that but that is technicality, but panacur in clinics around here is being used only in liquid form

in general parasites should be dealt with before any problems occur, as when you see that frog is sick it may be too late.
    in a wild all frogs have parasite load, meaning they have the whole population of different parasites. In a healthy, normal frog in a wild those parasites do not present a problem, because the frog is adapted to them, a frog is compensating parasite infestation.

the problem appears when such a frog is brought in captivity and live in secluded enclosure. The transition process is stressful for a frog, thus its defenses are going down, but worms are still here and present a problem now. For some frogs added stress is not enough to diminish it's adaptability to parasites, thus they're still there but you still see a healthy frog, for now.
    as time goes by parasites produce tons of eggs and offsprings, those are keep accumulating in the enclosure and re-infesting a frog until the population of parasites will reach massive amounts that a frog can't adapt to and you will see a sick frog.
    that is with wild caught individuals, now imagine such parasites will infest captive bred frog that have zero adaptability....

as Carlos mentioned hookworms are transmitted through environment and by contact, however i disagree with treatment suggestions.

fenbendazole ( panacur) is known for being relatively safe, accurate dosage is recommended for frogs.

You need to set up a hospital set up, moist papertowels and a cheap hide of some sorts that you can throw out after, paper towels have to be changed every single day, everything that you have in current enclosure you have to bleach out if possible, if not - it should go to the garbage.
    hospital set up needs to be completely disinfected after a few days of starting treatment and repeated a few days after the second dose, a fecal exam should be done a week or so after second dose to make sure a frog is parasites free and can be placed in his permanent home.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

18. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Home | Sergeant's - A Trusted Name in Pet Care Products Since 1868 was wondering could i use seagrants roundworm a5t the dollar general i use it for my dogs .you just pull the capsule and theres the powder
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hookworms

Sounds like I got tons of work ahead of me, since they are both in their own 40 gal long tanks... Sigh. This is gunna suck! Not much else I can do though. Once I get the panicure I'll set up hospital tanks and get to cleaning. Thanks for the tips guys. 4 year in and never had an issue like this!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Bruce i would suggest to test any other frog you have too, but i think it may be safe to say everybody will have that fun stuff to some extend.
    believe me i hear you and by the way sometimes I feel like each day i finding something new, like today with my nasutas that goes completely against anything i though i knew, but comes from very known source that I can't not to trust.... so going to do more digging tomorrow on a subject.
    there is so much more to be learned, sometimes i think we'll never get to the bottom of anything.... once you think you're here you go down again.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by pac View Post
    Home | Sergeant's - A Trusted Name in Pet Care Products Since 1868 was wondering could i use seagrants roundworm a5t the dollar general i use it for my dogs .you just pull the capsule and theres the powder
    for frogs, as they are way more fragile and sensitive to everything it is always better to use "clean" product from vet and proper dosage.

Locascio

i get all my frogs tested 3x a year for worms just to be on the safe side but its only becuse i used to work for the vet and he dose all my testing for free its not always what you know but who you know lol. ive never used the powder but it should work just the same. good luck!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by pac View Post
    Hi Devonte! Sargeant's website has 3 products (1 liquid, 1 capsules, 1 chewable) for roundworms in dog section and not one includes the active ingredient in description. If it's Panacur in same dosage as other products and there are no other differing active ingredients, my thought would be it's OK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information