Thread: Humidity problems

Pyxiefan001

Default Humidity problems

I obtain an acu-rite humidity gauge from Home Depot. It's in the middle of my Pyxie's tank just above the substrate floor. More than half of the tank's top is covered with plastic wrap and there's a towel over that. The gauge reads only 62% at the moment, but since I just heavily misted the substrate and walls I'm not sure if that's right. And if it is, how I can raise the humidity to 80% as is preferred by Pyxies?

Temperatures in the mid 80s by day, mid 70s by night, via infrared and night-glo bulbs. Never had the desired results with heat mats/cable.

I've had my frog (got as an adult) for nearly a few years and have never resorted to any fogging or other such devices before and she's apparently done well without them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DartEd

Default Re: Humidity problems

Does your tank have a drainage layer? It sounds to me like you're doing everything right. I would recommend adding a dish of water to the viv. How's the frogs behavior. Does she appear uneasy or is uncomfortable? If the humidity is truly low, it's escaping from somewhere. Fogging may be the only solution
    Last edited by DartEd; March 31st, 2013 at 08:13 PM.

so you have had the tank set up for years and you are just having a problem now?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Pyxiefan001

Quote Originally Posted by DartEd View Post
    Does your tank have a drainage layer? It sounds to me like you're doing everything right. I would recommend adding a dish of water to the viv. How's the frogs behavior. Does she appear uneasy or is uncomfortable?
    I do have a dish of water, a huge bowl of 3 quarts in size. And even it's heated with a small aquarium heater to keep the water within a consistent temperature range, 76-78 degrees usually. Also the tank itself is a 15-gal long.

A while ago she was lounging in the water, I changed it when she got out. She's moving around a bit every now and then, deciding how to get comfortable I'm guessing. Usually she'll lounge in the water all day or half bury herself in the substrate all day. Sometimes bury herself completely, though I uncover her when it comes feeding time. She whirled around at me when I was in there to change the water, which is the behavior she reverses for feeding time (she ate well yesterday, though I'd imagine she'd all day every day if I let her).

At present she can't seem to decide if she wants to stay in the water or on land. It seems like strange behavior but she's done it before. And as she eats regularly I've seen no real reason to suspect something has ever been really wrong with her.

I also took the plastic wrap off and dampened the towel that was on it. That upped the humidity (according to the gauge) to (at the very moment) 74%.

I have no drainage layer and never had one. This is a Pyxie after all, and they often burrow down to the very bottom of the tank.

I've never had problems before, but only recently (today) have I decided to go as far as to actually use a gauge to monitor humidity since everyone here seems to be concerned with precise levels. Figured I should be, too, since a lot of people here are much more knowledgable than I.

what model hygrometer did you buy? analog, digital? does it have a separate probe? i know it seems like an odd question, but all hygrometers are not the same.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Pyxiefan001

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    what model hygrometer did you buy? analog, digital? does it have a separate probe? i know it seems like an odd question, but all hygrometers are not the same.
    It's digital. Acu-rite from Home Depot. No probe. Gone up to 77% now, probably thanks to the damp towel covering most of the tank.

DartEd

Maybe the tank is over ventilated. It's getting out some how.

Thread Information