Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post photos of your African Clawed Frog Set up

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Post photos of your African Clawed Frog Set up

Post pictures of your ACF tanks.
    Please make sure to state what size tank and the full stocking so we can get a better visual of your set up!
    Disclaimer - I have changed the substrate to sand and no longer house them on gravel
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jenste; July 31st, 2015 at 08:04 AM.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Post photos of your African Clawed Frog Set up

Name:  0329130828.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  74.3 KBName:  0329130828b.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  70.1 KBName:  0329130913.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  47.3 KB

Here is my current set up, it's changed a lot since I recently moved and had to break it down and set it back up. I had to take these quickly with my cell phone before work and I can't find my camera right now. If I can find where I packed the thing I will try to take some pictures this weekend.

There are three african clawed frogs in here, still a bit young at 9-12 months old. One albino (huge!), one olive green, and one dark green wild type. They live off a diet of reptomin, earthworms, and crickets and are fat gluttonous things.. There is also a small crew of ghost shrimp in the tank as well diligently eating whatever the frogs happen to leave behind. The frogs amazingly ignore them for the most part.

The tank is a 40B (roughly 45 US gallons) 36"x18"x17", I painted the back of the tank black. I'm using an Eheim 2217 for filtration, the lighting is a Finnex 36" LED DS light (dual 7000k/7000k), I have a plastic screen mesh under it to keep it from blinding the poor frogs.. but it still works well for plants. I have a small Marineland LED singlebright on there too for additional light on the front of my tank and for moonlights. Water is kept at a constant 70F and the substrate is Caribsea Moonlight Sand. I change out 25% of the water weekly and use Prime & Stress Coat to condition the water. No fertilzers or CO2 or any of that jazz.

There's mopani and maylasian driftwood in there along with several rocks I've collected from a creek in a state park near here, Xmas moss is growing on most of the driftwood now and looks pretty cool.
    Other plants are:
    vallisneria
    water sprite
    crypt wendtii
    amazon frogbit
    duckweed (ugh)
    anubias
    java fern
    pennywort

I have another piece of mopani with java fern and anubias growing out of it currently 'cooking' in a small critter carrier and I will be adding it soon.

Name:  downsized_0329130844.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  34.2 KB
    (just changed out the water on it, dissolved gases in the tap made it bubbly, o well)

I've been trying to replant/grow my water sprite. I don't know what happened but it went from awesome to.. meh. I think since my water is harder, and more alkaline now it has suffered. I am hoping it grows back or I may have to wind up replacing it with something that grows better in higher pH (currently pH is 7.4).

4. This member thanks mpmistr for this post:

Name:  P3059149.jpg
Views: 3768
Size:  93.5 KBName:  P3139175.JPG
Views: 3242
Size:  382.6 KBName:  P3059150.jpg
Views: 4491
Size:  84.3 KB

My ACF tank is roughly 42 gallons long with 1.3 ACFs. Itīs filtered with a huge sponge filter plus a canister filter (JBL e701). Unfortunately, the frogs have destroyed almost all Echinodorus plants that can be seen in the pictures, but the floating plants and anubias are doing fine so far

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by Felis View Post
    Name:  P3059149.jpg
Views: 3768
Size:  93.5 KBName:  P3139175.JPG
Views: 3242
Size:  382.6 KBName:  P3059150.jpg
Views: 4491
Size:  84.3 KB

My ACF tank is roughly 42 gallons long with 1.3 ACFs. Itīs filtered with a huge sponge filter plus a canister filter (JBL e701). Unfortunately, the frogs have destroyed almost all Echinodorus plants that can be seen in the pictures, but the floating plants and anubias are doing fine so far
    hi, what is the ferny looking plants in there called?
    Thank you,
    carole

Hi,

do you mean the dark green plant on the root? Itīs Bolbitis heudelotii. Slow-growing, but easy to care for. If you mean the light green floating plant: this is the emerse form of Hygrophila difformis; itīs from my ADF tank were it grew out of the water. Being underwater again, it will build new submersed-form leaves.

8. This member thanks Felis for this post:

Nationality
    [Belgium]

My tank.
    Name:  101_4234.jpg
Views: 4311
Size:  94.0 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by SanderB View Post
    My tank.
    Name:  101_4234.jpg
Views: 4311
Size:  94.0 KB
    What size of tank are you running? Is it the same 15 gallon from before? Stunning as aswalys by the way.

Nationality
    [Belgium]

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    What size of tank are you running? Is it the same 15 gallon from before? Stunning as aswalys by the way.
    It is 100x30x40cm I think. This was my South-American fishtank, added some plants and the frogs. Gave the fish away. There are about 5 endler guppys in there.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Name:  frogs 65 gallon 006.jpg
Views: 2232
Size:  72.4 KBName:  frogs 65 gallon 001.jpg
Views: 3311
Size:  62.2 KB

My 65 gallon a while back. Has changed a couple of times since. Will update soon. Demensions are 36"w X 18"d X 24"h. Houses 6 Laevis.
    7 year old female wild type
    3 year old female wild type
    7 year old female reticulated albino
    1 year old female slighly reticulated albino
    7 year old male wild type
    1 year old male reticulated albino

Nationality
    [Belgium]

7 years, not bad. I think they can live up to 15 years. With a friend of me I have a frog that is about 8 or 9 years now, still looking good

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I've been thinking of buying an ACF for awhile now, and it may seem like a stupid question, but what does "wild type" mean? I am assuming it's not anything bad, i just want to make sure it doesn't affect the frogs health before i buy one. I have many other pets, reptiles specifically, but this is my first time around with an ACF. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Box Turtle 68 View Post
    I've been thinking of buying an ACF for awhile now, and it may seem like a stupid question, but what does "wild type" mean? I am assuming it's not anything bad, i just want to make sure it doesn't affect the frogs health before i buy one. I have many other pets, reptiles specifically, but this is my first time around with an ACF. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Not a stupid question at all! Wild type, or natural, is just another coloration. Wild type and albino are the most common colorations you will come across.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

This is an example of "wild type" coloring with albino in the lower right background.
    Name:  008 (19).jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  103.9 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you! I have a 20 gallon tank setup. I am planning on housing one ACF but are two allowed? I want them rather small, (froglets) when i purchase them. So i will not be able to sex them. I know 10 gallons is enough for one ACF. Right? I have done most of my research but i'm just trying to confirm it with the more experienced owners.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you! I have a 20 gallon tank setup. I am planning on housing one ACF but are two allowed? I want them rather small, (froglets) when i purchase them. So i will not be able to sex them. I know 10 gallons is enough for one ACF. Right? I have done most of my research but i'm just trying to confirm it with the more experienced owners.
    20 gallons is perfect. Is it a 20 gallon High or 20 gallon Long? If it is a long you can even house three together due to the added floor space.

19. This member thanks Jenste for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It is a 20 gallon long. It doesn't have an aquarium cover yet, but i am going to buy one because i have found out that ACF's are quite the escape artists. Would you happen to know any good place to buy aquarium hoods/covers? Or ACF's for that matter? I have looked everywhere for an ACF but i can't find one. I have checked at my local fish store and they aren't sold there.

Nationality
    [United States]

You can buy a screen lid at nearly any pet store. Tell the employee what size you need and they should be able to guide you into the right direction. Petco and Petsmart only carry the dwarfs (at least here they do in RI), a Mom and Pop (private and not a chain) owned store will probably carry them. Pet Supplies Plus also carries them.

Please, Please, Please do not buy a "Tutti fruiti" or "Jelly bean" or other ridiciously named colored frog. Frogs do not naturally come in lime green, pink, blue, orange or purple. They have been cruelly dipped in dye.

22. This member thanks Jenste for this post:

reptileszz

It is a 20 gallon long. It doesn't have an aquarium cover yet, but i am going to buy one because i have found out that ACF's are quite the escape artists. Would you happen to know any good place to buy aquarium hoods/covers? Or ACF's for that matter? I have looked everywhere for an ACF but i can't find one. I have checked at my local fish store and they aren't sold there.
    not sure where you are in mass. If you want to go for a drive Animal City in Vernon, ct has a nice selection. Also you might call daves soda and pet near springfield, ma.

carole

I just made a big mistake clicking on this thread. I am especially jealous of Michael's tank. I've had a bare-bottom for the last year and I really miss the look of sand. I've never been brave enough to delve into the live plants, but this makes me want to go for it.
    My own tank is looking pretty sparse in comparison to these. The fake plants and ugly background just aren't cutting it anymore.

Nationality
    [United States]

Tank Update.

Name:  107_0907.jpg
Views: 3350
Size:  85.2 KBName:  107_0913.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  52.4 KBName:  107_0916.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  76.7 KBName:  107_0930.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  92.9 KBName:  107_0934.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  93.4 KBName:  107_0935.jpg
Views: 3003
Size:  95.3 KB

I've done a lot of rearranging and added a really sweet mopani driftwood piece with moss now starting to attach. I couldn't get the mopani wood placed as I had planned because the 40B isn't quite big enough but it came out ok. The lighting has been upgraded to a Current Satellite LED+ which allows you to customize the RGB completely, it even has built in weather affects like thunderstorms and cloud cover, which is really awesome.

I also scrubbed away most of the diatoms riddling the tank as well. As far as plants, I removed a lot of vals and planted water sprite which is amazingly growing planted 1000% better than it did while floating.

The frogs are fat and happy too of course!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information