Thread: Lethargic tree frog-what's wrong

reenie

Default Lethargic tree frog-what's wrong

I've had a male and female red eyed tree frog for 2 years. In the past few days the female has not been her normal color-is darker than usual with mottled skin and has changed her behavior...more lethargic, spending a lot of time in the water bowl. She has been able to climb around. the "droppings" (for lack of a better word) look different, like the crickets haven't been fully digested. The reason I am not taking it to a vet is that I have never handled it, I think the handling would stress it out more, and the same was said to me by the person who sold me the frog who is knowledgable. What would a vet do in a case like this....can these frogs stand up to medical treatment? I'll try to post a picture too.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Lethargic tree frog-what's wrong

Well, you're going to have to handle it to get it to the vet. There is no way this frog will get miraculously better on its own. Adult red-eyes will be ok going to the vet. So no worries there. Only froglets can't take it to well.

Socrates

Ya you need to bring that frog to the Vet. Especially if it is a fungal infection or parasite, that won't leave on its own. Just be sure when you transport it, put it in a container with some damp paper towel (or some moss from there vivarium) and place it in a cooler (keeps the temp constant) this will prevent the elements from putting them into a worse state. I would also highly recommend separating the male and female from one another. You don't want to sick frogs, hope all goes well for her.

Kurt

I would also take both frogs to the vet, since they are housed together.

Socrates

how foolish of me, yes bring both frogs like Kurt said.

reenie

thank you for the advice about the cooler and the moss, I was wondering how I would keep the temp. steady in and out of the car. I have an appt. later today.

Kurt

Good luck.

daziladi

The vet suggested using a wet paper towel folded in half to pick up a frog... it helps you keep a steady grip (is less slippery) and prevents the frogs skin from absorbing chemicals. I'm still squeamish handling a frog so I use a flat plastic handle thing and sort of coax Chester forward with it until he climbs aboard. I use the plastic container and lid from my electric vegetable steamer, it has built-in ventilation holes and holds the moisture in perfectly.

(Boyfriend purchased a new steamer since then, lol)

Thread Information