Thread: Hey! new and full of questions

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Hey! new and full of questions

Hey, my name is Joe, had all kinds of pets all my life, from chipmunks to fish, eels to horses and snakes to lizards. however, moved to Cornwall some years ago and have found finding a decent pet supplier quite hard to come by (don't drive either which is a major issue). Recently i've decided to get back into one of my passions which was having frogs, always loved them whether i had tree frogs or the one's that i built habitats for in my garden (managed to attract albino one's at some point)

anyway, i've decided i want to get some whites tree frogs and have been doing a lot of searching for the perfect starter kit (like i said, it's been YEARS since i've kept them as a child). I cam across the exo terra medium rainforest kit and thought this was a good place to start but have struggled to find it online in the uk, only one website has it (shelledwarrior ?) for around £115, other than that the exo terra congo kit, but this does not include the decor, around £80. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of anywhere that does the rainforest medium kit, or offer me some great advice to starting up a frog terrarium ? also been wondering about the possibility of starting up a 'live' terrarium, i understand this isn't necessarily a beginner thing to do. I've got alot of reading to do. i've researched a little but not extensively but with a 'live' terra, what is the cleaning out process because i don't want to really be buying plants and throwing them away every month (obv if they are dead i will, but do not want to if healthy), as i understand fake terra's need a clean out every month or so. i'm looking at a 45x45x60 or a 60x45x60 terra

one other issue i am currently also thinking over is waterfall and fogger/misting. Was leaning more towards having a Monsoon system in place or the zoo med repti fogger, but still unsure which one would be better for my terra. Would a waterfall add to my frogs experience ? also would having a waterfall with a rain/fogger be okay?

My idea is to get the terrarium and set it up (either live or fake) and get it setup completely perfect and fully researched before even getting the frogs, because i want to make sure it is as perfect as possible for them and that i am also fully prepared. I understand i've posted a rather long and rambling post full of questions, but whilst i could probably set it up and be away with it tomorrow, I'd rather be prepared fully and get some great advice from people far more experienced than myself

DartEd

Default Re: Hey! new and full of questions

Welcome to the forum, Joe and welcome back to the hobby. We have plenty of members from abroad that may be able to help you with a retailer. As far as information these links will help get you started on building your vivarium
    http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...struction.html
    New England Herpetoculture LLC - Vivarium Construction 101
    New England Herpetoculture LLC - 10 Commandments of Vivarium Building

the NE Herp link will show you plants that are acceptable in a terrarium as well as other acceptable items.

As far as cleaning, a good misting should push all the fecal matter to the soil. Establishing microfauna, springtails and isopods will help keep the tank clean and soil fertilized naturally. They will also provide a snack for your amphibian between regular feedings. They're easy to culture and maintain.

New England Herpetoculture LLC - Springtail Care

i keep my isopods in a mixture of ABG and crushed leaf litter with card board on top and feed them rapashy bug burger. I mist them as necessary. Repashy Superfoods :: RETAIL SALES :: By Product Name :: Bug Burger - Repashy Ventures - Distributor Center

A misting system is a nice thing to have but not a requirement. I maintain my vivariums by misting with a spray bottle and dechlorinated water. It cost me 98 cents at a home improvement store vs the 50 dollars /roughly £125 for the fogger and 100 dollars / roughly £250 for most misting systems. If you maintain lots of vivariums or if you have expendable money then the investment is worth it. They're great to have but not necessary.

Give your vivarium about a month to establish ( microfauna to establish and plants to take strong root) before adding frogs. Take that time to measure your humidity levels and average temperature levels to ensure everything is right. Building a vivarium is very rewarding and is not just for experienced keepers. An educated beginner will have great success as long as you don't rush the process. Utilize the forum's search feature and many questions will be answered. Again welcome and best of luck.

purpleturtle89

i would say a Whites tree frog is the way to go especially to get into/ back into. Have you tried looking for a second hand one? that might save you a bit of money there ? planted 'Live' vivariums have a great feel to them and im sure your frog would appreciate it too but maybe thats something you could look to maybe as a future project. As for misting system they can start to get expensive, you can buy good hand ones for around £10 from garden centres etc. GOOD LUCK

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum . There are so many nice choices of frogs. Here is a nice article...

http://www.frogforum.net/content/choosing-frog-147/
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thank you very much guys. I'm the kind of guy who likes to research and not rush in. I've got an idea for my tank and am hopefully going to have a few 3d models of it sorted to show you guys what I'm thinking and whether its practical. Again very much thank you for Ulf help tried on nukes forums and found alot less helpful

Nationality
    [United States]

That's the best way. Once you decide on the frog(s) you'll get you can start planning the tank to the needs of the frog. Or, you can go in reverse and decide what type of tank and the frog that matches that habitat. Researching first will give you time for proper planning. Setting up your tank to the specifications that you're frog(s) will need, and then testing it out will save you time and energy .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

LunaDay

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

hey, been looking round and researching, waiting on a book to arrive aswell. i've figured out what i want to do (http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...new-setup.html) still unsure on what soil/substrate is best to use for a whites tree frog, found one on a uk site called dartfrog and is described as "Dendrosoil 5L bag
    Developed by Dartfrog, this is a 'living' compost for the dartfrog vivarium containing a host of custodian and food insects such as european and tropical springtails and woodlice. Place in a vivarium and get it established for 2 weeks prior to adding frogs
    " i'm going with whites tree frogs, so always get curious when things are describe as for dartfrogs, they seem more popular over here, so seems to be a generalist term.

the next main query is about heating, i've gone for the 60x45x60 terra, unsure on which size wattage etc to use, some places dont mention it at all for whites tree frogs, one place suggested that i'd need to place one underneath and one on one side of the tank backed with polystyrene and on a side with no background.

thank you in advance

purpleturtle89

I use that dendro soil, dartfrog is an awesome website I've used it a lot now, the only thing with dendro soil it would be and expensive soil. If you choice to use that alone. Would you not use a red light and dimming stat I prefer this now as you get a lot more control :3

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

i've got a exo terra terra with a dual canopy, been recommended to put a 2.0 and a 5.0 in it, in regards to lighting. as i'm doing a live plant tank, gonna be alot of places for it to hide.

should i use the dendro soil ontop of another substrate ? glad someones used that site and endorses it, tbh don't trust many of the stores i've used in cornwall.

purpleturtle89

I have bought 15 litres of dendro soil so far, and lots of plants, live food cultures... Really good highly recommend nice people to will answer your quEstions. I mean get a separate dome fitting with a heat source bulb say 50w but tbf it's quite easy to achieve the temps for WTF

Nationality
    [United States]

I've never used dendrosoil, but it sounds great. I'll have to read up on it.

Underneath the soil you can build a false bottom with eggcrate, fiber meah, and PVC or you can use hygroton. Both work well.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

i was going to do a hydroleca bottom, heard this was better for a planted terrarium

purpleturtle89

Smaller tanks I would use a false bottom, but bigger both are good! Don't forget to make away of draining the excess water off

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

was going to run a small pipe all the way up the back hidden behind the background or put a small pipe with a lid on it in the front corner. did a thread if you want to have a look at my idea plans http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...new-setup.html

Thread Information