Thread: TREE FROGS PROLAPSE (With Photo)

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Exclamation TREE FROGS PROLAPSE (With Photo)

Q: WHAT IS A PROLAPSE!?!? Name:  aussie-04july-severeprolape-sel-mick.jpg
Views: 2893
Size:  15.9 KB

A prolapse is when the claoca gets pushed through the anus during a bowel movement. It happens to many herps but most commonly to frogs.
    Basically, the animal’s intestines are hanging out. Most likely it will look pinkish and gooey, and will appear to be stuck to their rectum.

Q: WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THE PROBLEM!?!?

SOLUTION 1:
    Most cases can be solved by soaking the animal in WARM sugar water solution of about 1 teaspoon to 3 ounces of water. Soak the herp for about 20-30 minutes and make sure it has recessed. (Could take an hour or two)

SOLUTION 2: (MY SOLUTION)
    Soak the frog in the product called VETERICYN "wound and infection". This will have the same effects of the sugar water solution but will have better results by treating possible infection to the claoca. You can purchase this at your respectable local pet store and online. Soak your little guy in the Vetericyn until you start seeing results.(20 min-1 hour)
    Name:  852009002000C.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  16.8 KB
    SOLUTION 3:
    SEE A VET IF NONE OF THESE OPTIONS WORK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!! The sooner the better, because if the tissue dries out you’ll be holding burial ceremonies for your beloved herp. Whatever you do though, don’t pull on it, push it in or try and remove it by other means, this would be devastating to your little friend.

Q: ONCE ITS BACK IN AM I DONE!?!?

For now, yes, but you should keep an eye on them for a while. It will take about 7-10 days to heal completely, so it is best not to feed the animal during that time. IF you can’t handle doing that to your herp, you can feed it soft foods, such as wax worms, raise the humidity a little, and watch them closely. After the healing period, there are a couple of things you can do to help make sure your animal doesn’t have another prolapse. Feed it smaller food items, raise the tank humidity a little bit, and make sure it is getting enough calcium. All these are know causes of prolapsed cloacas. This can also be caused by impaction from substrate etc, so it is best to find the cause and eliminate it, so your herp doesn’t have to endure another prolapse, as I’m pretty sure it’s a rather painful experience.

ANY FURTHER QUESTION DONT HESITATE TO ASK ME AS I HAVE TREATED THIS BEFORE WITH A 100% SUCCESS RATE WITHOUT ANY ISSUES.
    MODERATORS ARE ALSO HERE WHEN NEEDED!!

-CJ

2. This member thanks CJ PELCHER for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information