Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help with an injured California Toad

KennedyRena

Exclamation I need help with an injured California Toad

I live in an area with toads and frogs and I try to save as many as I can from being run over by cars or killed by neighbors. Sadly, I have found many that have already been injured so I usually take them to our backyard so they can at least die in a peaceful and safe place. The other night I went to see if I needed to make any rescues when I came upon one that was in a pipe very close to the road. He was close enough to the opening that I was able to get him out with no trouble and was half way home when I realized that he was injured. He had some organs coming out of his mouth but I couldn't find anything else wrong with him. My assumption was that he managed to get squished by my neighbors children and he would most likely die that night like the rest had. Oddly, he's still alive about two days later but hasn't moved more than a foot. I mist our "grass" to keep our frog and toad friends that we've rescued in the past happy so he's staying somewhat moist. Is there anything I can do to help him or at least make things easier? I can't afford to drive him to a vet that can treat him because this and the surrounding towns have "regular" and large animal vets.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy Re: I need help with an injured California Toad

Hi there
    Im verry sorry about the toads that have been lost in your area i would try and ask any people who work in Conservation to do something about it,
    many "Toad tunnles" have been built underneath roads for toads to cross safely, i do not know if it would work askig to make one but its worth a try
    See if you could educate the people around you on how the toads are beneficial to the environment, some toads have been known to eat many thousands of
    mosquitos in ONE night! and toads will never give warts if you ever touch them, that's just an old wife's tale.

I hope the poor guys live!
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United States]

Default I need help with an injured California Toad

It is sad to hear that they are injured crossing the roads. I could only wish to see that many here. They are likely looking for water or a mate.

Sometimes putting in a small pond will help to keep them near. If this is something you'd like to do, place it as far away from the road as possible to divert the frogs and toads in the other direction. This will, however, keep them coming to visit you, so if they are a nuisance to you, I would then not recommend this.

Toads will like a very shallow end with pond plants to lay eggs in. Frogs will like a deeper end to dive down into and to also lay eggs in. When initially filling the pond, use dechlorinator in the water if you have city water. After that, the rain should take over. Chlorine in city water is toxic to amphibians. Clean well water is fine.

The injured toad....can you take a picture of him?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

KennedyRena

Default Re: I need help with an injured California Toad

Thank you both for your suggestion! We're renting this house so I can't put a pond in but we have put small sources of water around for them if they want to soak.

This is as close to him as I could get without completely disturbing him. It looks like whatever was coming out of his mouth has gone back in but I can't see his mouth very well. He's still alive and responding when I touch him but less than usual. I've taken two toads in before and released them once they were better but never a toad doing this bad. Is it possible to nurse him back to health? I'm willing to put in the time I just need to know what I need since I'll have to keep him for more than a night unlike the others. I want to help in anyway that I can, I just can't afford to take him to the vet because one of my animals is on a costly medication at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

It's a little tough to see him. I can't tell which kind of toad he is, but I will link in the toad care sheet.

He will need water dechlorinator if you use city tap water, or you can use bottled spring water. Do not used bottled drinking water. The best substrate for the floor of his temporary home is coconut fiber or plain, unfertilized plantation soil with no perlite in it. He will need a shallow water bowl to sit and soak in. Change his water daily. Mist his tank with a clean sprayer. You can even get them at the dollar store.

Food -you can offer crickets and small or cut pieces of earthworms. Be sure the worms have no added dyes or scents. Walmart often carries them around fishing season, back in that area of the store. If the toad stays with you for more than a week you should get him some calcium with vitamin D3 reptile/amphibian supplement. If you set him free before then, you won't need it. You'll also need frog/toad multivitamin if you keep him. Feed him every evening. Give him some time to eat, and then remove his food that is not eaten. His food pieces should be no larger than the distance between his eyes. If he refluxes out his mouth again, he'll need a day or two of intestine rest. If you are willing, I would recommend you keep him until you know he can eat again.

If he has any open wounds, you can lightly rinse them with dechlorinated or spring water, allow to dry, and then with a qtip apply a small amount of Original neosporin. Never use the type with pain reliever in it-it's toxic to them.

He would probably like a nice cave to hide in. You can cover the sides of his temporary house with green or brown paper to limit his stress.

http://www.frogforum.net/content/toa...pelobates-125/

Keep as posted and we'll help you as you go .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

KennedyRena

I just went out to take better photos and I think he's passed on. The organ or organs that were coming out of his mouth are still there so I don't know what else to do. Thank you for the help, I'll post the photos anyways.
    Name:  IMG_1309.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  68.5 KBName:  IMG_1296.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  84.7 KBName:  IMG_1301.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  86.6 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

I can see now. Yes, it looks as if he had a traumatic impact. Poor sweetie. Probably better that he passed. Now he's no longer hurting.

It was very kind of you to help and watch over him! Hugs!

Good things to keep in mind in case you rescue another.

We'd love to see a few of the healthy toads and frogs in your area since you are lucky enough to see them often, if you'd like to share?

KennedyRena

I actually went out to find that he'd moved AGAIN so he's still alive. I even managed to find another sick toad when I went out to my front yard. I'm going to get two terrariums tomorrow so I can treat this new one and at least give the other one a more peaceful and comfortable place to pass. I will definitely post some photos of my other rescues soon! I may need some help with this new one I found. I thought it was blind but it seems to have an infection in its eyes but it is otherwise healthy. Again, thank you for all the help you've given me already! I'm letting this new one rest but I'll take photos when I clean his eyes later tonight.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyRena View Post
    I actually went out to find that he'd moved AGAIN so he's still alive. I even managed to find another sick toad when I went out to my front yard. I'm going to get two terrariums tomorrow so I can treat this new one and at least give the other one a more peaceful and comfortable place to pass. I will definitely post some photos of my other rescues soon! I may need some help with this new one I found. I thought it was blind but it seems to have an infection in its eyes but it is otherwise healthy. Again, thank you for all the help you've given me already! I'm letting this new one rest but I'll take photos when I clean his eyes later tonight.
    How is the first toad? And the second?

About how many toads would you estimate pass through that area? Have you noticed if more of them look to have illness or are most of the "wounds" from trauma, as it from crossing the road?

KennedyRena

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  73.5 KB

The first toad is still alive and in a small terrarium. It seems to be doing better in there than outside. The second is in a twenty gallon tank a friend gave me. I cleaned it and got some supplies. That one is also doing better but the eyelids are still swollen.

In our neighborhood or our yard? In our neighborhood during the summer you can see about twenty toads or frogs a night. In our yard we usually feed about ten toads, two tree frogs, and about two bullfrogs. We get more injured bull frogs then because they come out at all times of the day when the pipes overflow with water and they get run over. Almost all of the toads and frogs are injured or have over eaten so their back legs temporarily stop working until they pass whatever it is they ate. Those are the ones I usually take in for a day or two so I can make sure they don't get run over, stepped on, or killed by another animal
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KennedyRena; March 23rd, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

I am surprised the first one is still with you. Did his protrusion go back in?

You can give him a little shallow bath in lukewarm dechlorinated water with about 3 drops of honey in it. This will give him some sugar and can energy boost. If you do the honey soak, do a plain dechlorinated water soak after the honey bath to remove excess honey from his skin. Most soaks are done for 15 minutes.

You can also mix up plain, clear unflavored pedialyte to soak him in. It's one part pedialyte to 10 parts dechlorinated water. Soak 15 minutes. This will give him some hydration and electrolytes.

Be sure to mist their tanks to keep them slightly moist, but not wet.

It is such since thing of you to help them .

13. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

KennedyRena

Sadly, his protrusion has not gone back in. He does seem happier in his little terrarium though because the soil is softer and he can somewhat burrow and make himself more comfortable.

That photo was of the second toad I rescued that's in the twenty gallon tank. Thank you for the information about the soaks though! That might help me with the second toad since she might have trouble eating, but I'm not sure about the first toad since he still has whatever organ that is coming out of his mouth. Also, I don't want to stress him out more by handling him again.

I need to get a better mister but I have managed to keeping both enclosures moist with dechlorinated water.

I love all animals so I'm always willing to help them out. About 80% of all our animals have been rescued so it's just natural at this point. Thank you for all your help so far though!

Nationality
    [United States]

Girl, you are awesome.

I should elaborate on that a bit. My eye-brain connection won't let me see clearly that protrusion in Toad 1's mouth, but I know it doesn't look good. Toad 2 could feasibly get better but I don't know what causes or treats swollen eyes like that. But both are comfortable and that's why you're awesome. You set up that tank so quickly! Is anyone snapping at food? Did you try the baths? Just curious.
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

KennedyRena

Quote Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
    Girl, you are awesome.

I should elaborate on that a bit. My eye-brain connection won't let me see clearly that protrusion in Toad 1's mouth, but I know it doesn't look good. Toad 2 could feasibly get better but I don't know what causes or treats swollen eyes like that. But both are comfortable and that's why you're awesome. You set up that tank so quickly! Is anyone snapping at food? Did you try the baths? Just curious.
    Thank you, you're too kind! I'm trying to do more research and find out how to treat her but haven't had any luck. Her eyelids are getting better but I'm worried because her eyes look abnormal. I think she might have been born with it but that's just a guess.

Yes, I wanted to get her out of the small terrarium so she could burrow and the first toad could have a place to rest inside. I haven't gotten any food yet. I'm trying to find a good place to get it locally besides PetSmart or PetCo. Also, the first toad can't eat and the second toad has stayed in her burrow and isn't interested in the food I have tried to give her. I will try one of the soaks if when she comes out she still has trouble eating.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyRena View Post
    Thank you, you're too kind! I'm trying to do more research and find out how to treat her but haven't had any luck. Her eyelids are getting better but I'm worried because her eyes look abnormal. I think she might have been born with it but that's just a guess.

Yes, I wanted to get her out of the small terrarium so she could burrow and the first toad could have a place to rest inside. I haven't gotten any food yet. I'm trying to find a good place to get it locally besides PetSmart or PetCo. Also, the first toad can't eat and the second toad has stayed in her burrow and isn't interested in the food I have tried to give her. I will try one of the soaks if when she comes out she still has trouble eating.
    I was hoping the mouth thing on Toad 1 wasn't that bad..
    Petco is where I get my crickets. I hate them but if you put a few little ones in a smooth sided dish, they can't get out and Toad 2 can mosey over to eat them on her own. If she can see.
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

Nationality
    [United States]

You can use neomycin eye drops for the second toad, but I don't know the dose. You may need a Rx from a vet, if you are willing.

The honey soak may cause the protrusion to sink back in.

Nationality
    [United States]

Any updates on your rescues?

KennedyRena

Sadly, the first toad passed away the night of my last post so I was never able to do the honey soak with him. The second toad is doing well and is finally comfortable coming out of her burrow at night to soak. Also, I don't think she has an infection like I first thought. It looks like her eyes are completely black but I don't know how they came to be that way and if it's even treatable.

I don't have the money or transportation at the moment to take her to the vet, but I've finally found someone that might be able to treat her about an hour away. I'm going to email her to get an estimate on the cost of the visit or if she can even help.

Nationality
    [United States]

I think that may be a blessing for the first fella. He can now rest peacefully. It was so wonderful of you to bring him into a safe place.

There is an online vet that won't charge you for an assessment. He only charges for the meds and shipping if you are interested and looking to do more?

KennedyRena

I'm just glad I found him that night and was able to get him to a safer place where he could at least live the rest of his life in peace.

That would be amazing! I want to help her as much as I possibly can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information