Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Evaluate my R.E.T.F from my photos. I'm worried.

verb408

Default Please Evaluate my R.E.T.F from my photos. I'm worried.

Can you please take a look at my frog and tell me if he'll pull through, I just got him delivered to me today. At first I thought it was an amputated hand but it's only an amputated finger. With closer inspection of the amputated finger it looks as if there is a 3/32 bone sticking out.

Name:  kirmy.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  112.0 KBName:  kirmy2.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  63.5 KBName:  kirmy3.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  37.5 KBName:  retf4.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  44.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Where did you get this frog? He is sick . The amputation might be able to be healed with antibiotics. The light green spots appear to be a bacterial infection. I can't see the knees well, but he looks to either have injuries to them or infections. The red spots on his underside are not good . This is very sad to see. Do you know if he was wild caught or captive bred?

You should first contact the seller and notify them of his condition and provide photos. I would request a refund of your money.

Next, he needs a hospital tank. A ten gallon tank is easiest. Use only plain paper towels as substrate and only spring water or dechlorinated tap water. If I were you I'd boil the water and allow it to cool to room temp before using it to be sure to not introduce any bacteria into his tank. Use only this water for his water bowl also. Rinse and change his water in his water bowl daily. Change his paper towels daily also.

You'll need a vet to prescribe medications to heal all of the wounds. He needs systemic antibiotics and topical for the wounds. I would not delay in contacting a vet. Quick treatment can save him.

Wash your hands very well, rinse thoroughly, then either wear powder-free gloves or rinse your hands with the spring water or dechlorinated water. Be sure there are no lotions or perfumes on your hands when handling him. Never use hand sanitizer, it can burn them.

For today, while waiting to hear from a vet, very gently apply ORIGINAL plain neosporin to the foot, his back on the green spots, the dark areas on the knees and the red spots on his underbelly. Be sure to cover the toe area well. Using a rolling motion helps to goop the neo on. You don't need a lot, but try to cover it.

I am sorry he was delivered to you in this way . Poor little guy .

To reduce his stress, keep his tank in a calm and quiet area. Cover the back and 2 sides of the tank with something such as green paper. This helps them to feel safe. You'll want to minimize his stress to keep him healing.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

verb408

Default Re: Please Evaluate my R.E.T.F from my photos. I'm worried.

Its sad to say I've contacted the seller and they told me there will be no refund on this frog nor the D.O.A frog I got today. I just put him in a hospital tank with a water dish and paper towel as substrate. I'll try to see if I can find a vet around here.

learn from my experience guys, I've received a D.O.A frog and the this frog from www.floridaherps.com

I've sent them photos of this frog and the D.O.A frog the second I unboxed these guys and they pretty much told me "Sorry but ZERO warrantee on frogs".

Nationality
    [United States]

I am very sorry. I know you have been researching to find a good breeder.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Ok as a frog breeder (currently and owner of 14 RETF's and 30 RETF tadpoles) ... i would NEVER EVER sell my frog in this condition... and i would go to the BBB and file a complaint. This is unsatisfactory and abuse in my eyes. I would not have even sold you a frog in this condition. I feel so bad for him and you as a new frog owner...

Heather.... if you have any advice on how to properly ship one of my new RETF froglets... id like to give one of them to VERB for free.

7. 2 members thank CJ PELCHER for this post:

verb408

I've already filed a complaint to BBB, now I'm assuming that the other frog they sent me was already dead or very ill before they sent it to me.

I love this forum it's filled with very knowledgeable and friendly people.

Thank you CJ if you do give me a frog, I live in Santa Clara, CA btw.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Im located in san diego, CA that makes me feel better its not traveling too far. I breed from captivity and NEVER ONCE have any of my frogs been ill. All 14 of my RETFs are captive bred so they are easier to work with... Im not out to make money.... im just a huge enthusiast... i will sell some to make up for the money i paid for all of my vivarium setups and frogs...but never for a profit.... all i would ask is to help pay for the shipping... but no charge on the frog..... ive never shipped them before...and im limited on quantities so idk if i can guarantee it...but i assure you all my frogs are 100 percent happy and healthy..same with the tadpoles... i have pictures posted in my forum if you would care to look.

Nationality
    [United States]

Cj, that is extremely sweet of you. Props to you! Verb, its such a shame ti heave to start out this way. Wish thug the best!

.:* Lisa *:.
    laissez le bon temps roulet! :-)

1.2.2 Agalychnis calidryas - Felix Felicis, Wall-E,Eva, Mike & Sull
    0.0.2 Canis lupus familiaris (Italian greyhounds) - Zaffira & Aurora
    1.0.0 My own personal prince charming (husband edition): Beau

verb408

Thanks CJ, Just hold one for me whenever I'm in San Diego area which could be in a couple years or so. I have no plans on going down there until my daughter gets old enough o enjoy Disney land.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

One question i have...did that container have air holes?

verb408

Yes it had small air-holes in it, you could actually see one of the air holes in the picture.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by verb408 View Post
    Yes it had small air-holes in it, you could actually see one of the air holes in the picture.
    well they at least did something right...how many days was the shipping?

verb408

it was shipped and delivered within 24 hours.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have a very hard time believing a RETF died in an overnight shipping.... the altitude was probably what did it. Just my thoughts

Eric and Stitch

This is heart breaking. I'm not knowledgeable on how to handle this kind of thing so sadly I can't be of much help. kind of deters me from online frog shops.

verb408

I'm just going to assume that frog that died during shipment was already dead or in worse shape then that frog that survived. I just think this company sends out unhealthy animals which can be visibly seen and pulls the zero guarantee policy.

Who in their rite mind or company would send pets out with a fresh injury and unhealthy looking?

Nationality
    [United States]

CJ, this is very kind of you. I have never myself shipped a frog, only received them. A good person to ask is Zach at joshsfrogs, or one of their associates.

I have unfortunately known of people who have received frogs DOA from random websites, none I would purchase from. It is a very stressful transition for them. Very sad. I am even more upset about the sick, injured fella. Both, unacceptable .

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    CJ, this is very kind of you. I have never myself shipped a frog, only received them. A good person to ask is Zach at joshsfrogs, or one of their associates.

I have unfortunately known of people who have received frogs DOA from random websites, none I would purchase from. It is a very stressful transition for them. Very sad. I am even more upset about the sick, injured fella. Both, unacceptable .

Ya i dont think its right to sell frogs over the internet and ship them...i just think its horrible to take them away like that. However i pretty positive my captive bred frogs would survive the trip... out to verb... VERB seriously ill send one out to you ... and if it doesnt make it... i dont even know if i could bare the truth of knowing one of my own frogs didnt make it to you. How far are you away from san diego? is it within a 3 hour radius? If thats the case ill drive him/her to you. ill just make it a road trip for me. OH and btw...only order RETF from joshsfrogs.com its the only reputable website i know and trust. I purchase all my supplies from them..but i buy my frogs from a local breeder. Now that i breed my own... im all set.

verb408

I'm actually ways away from you. Santa Clara is next to San Jose. I wish there was a breeder around my area because I would definitely go that route. Maybe in a few years I'll breed R.E.T.F's.

Nationality
    [United States]

How is your frog doing? Any luck with eating? How are his wounds?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information