Thread: Temperature and Humidity Mesurement?

FishChum

Question Temperature and Humidity Mesurement?

What product cant give me an accurate measurement of my temperature and humidity inside my tank. Currently I'm using EXO-TERRA stick on thermometer and humidity gauges. I suspect they are way out of the park about the actual temp and humidity. I would like to buy something that's reliable, can be left on all the time and has a prob that can be placed anywhere.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adam R

Default Re: Temperature and Humidity Mesurement?

check you gauges, stamped into the back may be there temperature tolerance range. most are +- 1 degree. this is what you want. they may in fact be ok to use

if you feel they are still not accurate, it could be where the placement is. i like to keep mine close to the top right or left corners of the tank

if you do decide to get a to get another unit, i really like electronic 2 in one. i bought a chinese one off ebay for like $5, 6 months in and still working great

FishChum

thanks, I know they are in a warm part of the tank, but the humidity says 60% and I have condensation on the glass, so it dosnt seem right to me. the thermometer is right beside it and they are both under a florescent lamp, it says 80F. the rest of the tank is much cooler then that. Maybe moving them around is best to see what they say in other parts of the tank. I stuck them on in a place that looks good not works good . might just free float them around a bit to get reading from other parts of the tank, so much for the sticky stuff.

FishChum

I think I figured out where the extra heat is cumming from. I have a 150watt grow light in my living-room for my house plants, well the end of the tank gets direct light from the grow light, foolish me I had no idea it would raise my temps that much. I must be getting a greenhouse effect at that end of the tank. might need to rearrange my space and take the HPS 150 into account, almost the time of year i can turn it off for the summer anyway. Thanks for getting me thinking.

FishChum

Well I moved my EXO-TERRA thermometer and hygrometer and the thermometer fell apart, I have a feeling they are not worth even the 17 bucks I paid for the set. if I had a properly calibrated set, i could use that to set these ones accurately. I'm betting my guess is as good as the ones i have, lmao. now back to my original question, whats a reliable brand of digital hygrometer/thermometer with prob?

any of the digital combos are a good bet. the analog ones are garbage.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

DartEd

Exo terra makes a digital combo that retails for about 30 American. It hasn't given me any reason to doubt it's readings.

FishChum

Thanks, its about the same here too. Ill get one when i get the opportunity. For now I found a method of calibrating a hygrometer using a sealed contaner and water saturated with salt. Im calibrating the thermometer with my body (arm pit) lol. this will get me by until I can get a digital one.

guilletto

Quote Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
    check you gauges, stamped into the back may be there temperature tolerance range. most are +- 1 degree. this is what you want. they may in fact be ok to use

if you feel they are still not accurate, it could be where the placement is. i like to keep mine close to the top right or left corners of the tank

if you do decide to get a to get another unit, i really like electronic 2 in one. i bought a chinese one off ebay for like $5, 6 months in and still working great
    Please! can you put a link or another similar?

Thread Information