Thread: Tank setup questions for a NOOB

verb408

Default Tank setup questions for a NOOB

I really need some help on this before my retf arrive on Tuesday, 2 problems i'm dealing with is.

1. What voltage bulb and what type of bulb should I buy in order to raise the temp up to 10 degrees, and will it help with the humidity? Exo Terra 18*18*24 current temp is 70 degrees at 2:25 P.M

2. Should I leave my fogger on all day?

If I leave the fogger on it leaves the humidity level at 75%. The problem is I can't see anything in there.

Name:  tank2.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  70.8 KB Name:  tank1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  85.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tank setup questions for a NOOB

Analog gauges are highly inaccurate. You would be better off with something digital. I found the best thing for heat and humidity is a hygrotherm. You can hook your fogger up to it and your heat lamp and it will turn them on and off when it reaches the levels you set it to.

What type of bulb are you using right now, what is the wattage and what kind of fixture? As long as your fixture would allow the extra wattage, you could just go the next wattage up from what you are using.
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello! and welcome to frog forum! You have come to the right place for info and props to you for seeking answers before your frog gets here. First off let me say I have RETFs and I have the exact size tank. But before you put them in their beautiful home, you should put them in quartantine for at least a month to monitor them, their eating habits and pooping habits. Get to know them a little first so to say. Lynn, one of the moderators, "Flybyferns" and "Heatheranne" are AMAZING resources. Lynn posted a great thread on setting up a hospital tank that I will link here for you.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-supplies.html Its got HEAPS of helpful info. She has great pics of using a quarantine tank.

Also as far as heat and humidity goes, do yourself a HUGE favor and buy a Zoomed Hygrotherm. It controls a heat and humidity source like a thermostat (cheapest at thatpetplace.com). It gave me huge peace of mind. I have mine attached to a ceramic 50watt bulb and a Zoomed Reptifogger. It keeps my humidity in the 70's and my temp at 80during day and 75 at night. I also use a side mounted UTH pad attached to the side of my tank. The Hygrotherm also uses a digital probe inside the tank. So I usually correlate it with my analog hygromometer and thermometer. They are usually pretty close.

On my quarantine tank I use a 50watt ceramic bulb and an UTH heater to keep the temps consitent and they too are attached to a hygrotherm.

If you don't like the fogger, you can always hand mist (which is not an option when you are a nurse and work 14 hour shifts ) or you can buy a misting system like a mist king or monsoon.

Also take a look at this care sheet, it was a HUGE help for me and feel free to check out my profile and see all the threads I posted to b/c I'm sure I had alot of the same questions you may have. http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...caresheet.html

Good luck and again welcome to FF!

1.2.2 Agalychnis calidryas - Felix Felicis, Wall-E,Eva, Mike & Sull
    0.0.2 Canis lupus familiaris (Italian greyhounds) - Zaffira & Aurora
    1.0.0 My own personal prince charming (husband edition): Beau

verb408

Thanks for the helpful replies Patsy and Lisa. I just bought the Zoomed Hygrotherm and it should be here a few days after my frogs get here, i'm sure my frogs and I will enjoy it.

Thread Information