Thread: um.. whats living in my viv? lol

xboxQueen

Default um.. whats living in my viv? lol

So the only thing that I know of that's living in my tank, are springtails. Well besides the plants, sheet moss and now this white stuff that looks like spiderwebs.

Now on to my question.. I've seen trails in the moisture that collects on the glass. I took a close look and saw a tinyyyyy white dot moving. It was so small, I don't even know if it had legs, but I think it was round shaped lol. I don't know what springtail larvae look like or even if they have a larvae stage? If they do have a larvae stage, could this have been one? The vivs been up almost a week now, think its ok or should I be worried? Also, I dumped all the springs that I ordered from josh's in the viv the first day, I realize they are tiny, but I haven't seen any since.. is this normal? Like will they eventually be so prolific that I'll see them?

Sorry about all the newb questions

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

xboxQueen

Default Re: um.. whats living in my viv? lol

Hmm well from what I read, unless they are black or red I shouldn't worry. Said darts will take care of them. So I guess for now, let the little buggers make themselves at home until my darts move in

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

So, i'm having the same issue in one of my vivariums. I'm sort of thinking they are some sort of mite or something? I don't really know, maybe Bill will have a better idea. They don't seem to be causing any issues so I haven't really bothered to figure out what it is. They are nowhere near as annoying as the slugs that I have started seeing in my Imitator's tank.

~Alex

xboxQueen

Slugs.... Ughhhh I have gross memories of them from growing up.. running around barefoot and stepping on them. Ugggg washing that stuff off was nasty, it needed to be scraped off.. maybe that's where my obsession with wearing shoes outside comes in. Even just from the pool to where my shoes are, I have a hard time with those lousy few steps lol so gross.. we won't even get into my spider fears lmao I get so grossed out by bugs I gag if I'm eating outdoors, like at cook outs lol. So yeah, I think me accepting the springs and whatever white bugs/mites are in the tank, I'm doing GOOD lol let's just hope I don't get slugs (cold chills)

I did read somewhere you can Co2 your tank and it will get rid of pests, I'm sure it goes without saying, but take your pets out first lol GL getting rid of um.

Is the white fuzzy? It's probably just a fungus. The tiny white dot leaving trails in your condensation is most likely a snail. They like to climb the glass at night, but sometimes do it during the day.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri