Thread: Tank set up questions: Pacific Tree (Chorus) Frog

JJohnsen

Question Tank set up questions: Pacific Tree (Chorus) Frog

Hello. I am a VERY new owner of a Pacific Tree frog and I live on the west coast where they are native. As a result, I want to be able to take pesty bugs from my all natural chemical free garden and put them in the tank for my native frog to enjoy. However, the tank I had wouldn't ensure that the bugs wouldn't escape. SO, I got a different tank: A ten gallon glass tank with a screen lid. However, a friend of mine who says he knows about frogs, is offering me a different tank with a glass lid. I was concerned about the frog getting enough air, but he told me it would be fine and that the glass lid would keep in the much needed moisture for the frog and any bugs I catch. He also said a screen lid could be bad for my frog because it could scratch her. Anyone have any advice on this? Also, the Eco earth I bought seems to get ALL OVER my frog. And it seems more dry and fluffy than what I think a frog should have. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, the PETCO guy, who seemed to know his stuff (pleasant surprise), said that Id need to buy my frog a light and pointed to one that was $19.99, and then a bulb for it that was $9.99. Does my frog really need these? I wasn't under the impression that frogs need heat like reptiles do. lol? And he is a native frog, and our region is NOT warm by any means. LOL?

Also, I want to get my girl a friend or two because I read that these frogs like to be in groups. Im getting the same type, that will be around her size. My question: I read something about being careful about introducing new frogs to old frogs. My original is from the wild, and the news ones will be too. I've only had this one for one week and it will be two weeks once I go get more. She should be fine right? Is there some sort of disease I need to look out for?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tank set up questions: Pacific Tree (Chorus) Frog

Hi there
    the setup for the PCF with the glass lid is not good, theres no ventelation for the frog whatsoever, you can have a glass lid if you have the tank loaded with live plants, (they produce oxygen through photosynthesis) but for ventalation, i would get a screen lid that is tight so the frog dose not escape, the frog wont be on the lid anyways, if you do plan to get food for your frog from the wild, i would use a large fine mesh net feild sweeping for bugs, just sweep through the grass for food for your frogs or lift up rocks, i personally think its easier to buy crickets.

Before you take any advice from petco or petsmart, always question it first, research it and check it out online, usually frogs do not need any uv light and UVB is in some cases very dangerous for some frogs, I would use a low wattage light for daily light cycles for natural behaviour, your frog probably dose not need company but theres no rules against keeping tree frogs, i would keep 2 in a 10 gallon
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

4. This member thanks Bombina Bob for this post:

JJohnsen

Default Re: Tank set up questions: Pacific Tree (Chorus) Frog

Bombina Bob,
    Thank you SO much for the response! Looks like my gut instincts on the lid type and the light were both right! I know to be very careful and take all advice from Petco employees with a grain of salt but the guy was correct on a lot of other things though so I considered it. That is why I added an account here, to get advice from experienced frog owners and lovers. I am going to take my friend's tank because it is taller, and just use my current screen lid for it since they have the same base size. It should fit. That way my frog has a bigger and taller home, AND a screen lid.

It might be easier to buy crickets but my lil girl eats more than I thought she would and if she continues at this rate I won't be able to afford it as a broke college student. LOL. Plus, I want to keep her healthy. I don't like the idea of frosting my crickets with calcium or whatever. IF she continues to eat what she would have in the wild, maybe I won't have to do that? Besides, it makes me feel like a kid again to collect bugs in my backyard. LOL.

Again, thanks for all the advice!

Thread Information