Thread: Help!!! Three frogs have died ;-(

Arabella

Default Help!!! Three frogs have died ;-(

I have recently adopted two white's tree frogs from a reptile show about a month ago. Now both of them have died along with my gray tree frog.
    The gray tree frog died several weeks ago with no signs of anything wrong with him. He was the eldest of my frogs and I figured maybe it was just his time. Last week one of the WTF was paralyzed and died within a day of my finding him like this. Today I had the other "new" one die with no issues at all. what do I need to do????

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help!!! Three frogs have died ;-(

It's impossible for us to diagnose the problem based on the information you've given us. By the sounds of things, you either have a serious disease problem or a chemical problem. If you ever plan on keeping frogs again you need to figure out what the issue is and make sure it can't happen again. Certainly disinfect everything prior to using it again.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Where these frogs all housed together?

Arabella

they were all housed together. I fear that the new frogs I adopted at the reptile show may have been the reason for the sickness in the tank.

I have noticed that no one has been singing the past week and they are all staying a dark brown color. I am concerned that they are not eating as much too.

The first to die was the gray tree frog. He had no signs of any problems, just died unexpectantly. The first WTF was paralyzed for a day and then died. The latest to die was found in the bottom of the tank dead after I was out of town for the weekend. I have no idea exactly what happened with him or how he died. I did notice that his hind legs had a red tint to them and am wondering if he had red leg???

I don't know what to do to make the other's safe. Should I take them to a vet to get them checked out??? I am working on quarantining everyone outside of the tank until I can figure out if they are sick and until the tank can be fully cleaned.

Arabella

okay I have taken photos of the other guys. Two of them have dark brown throats and the largest one has a lesion on his leg. All are not eating well and are not looking healthy. Please tell me what to do for them. I called the closest vet and they said the best they can do for me is do an autopsy on the one that died to find out what killed him.
    this is the young one that has a dark throat:

the other young one :

The large one that has a sore on his leg

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Im sorry your frogs are sick. unfortunately when ever you introduce new frogs to your existing frogs there is a risk and a isolation period it always recommend. You need to get them to the Vet asap. Good luck Arabella.

Was your Gray frog living with your Whites frogs?

daziladi

I hope you find an answer soon Arabella... sorry about your other frogs. That's terrible all the vet will do is an autopsy, don't they carry any antibiotics? My tree frog has been on meds for the past four days and he's slowly getting better. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Kurt

First never mix species. Its a disaster just waiting to happen. Amphibians have porous skin and use toxins to protect themselves from predation. So keeping different species together means they will be absorbing each other's toxins, for which they have no immunity towards.

Second, as Ebony has pointed out, all new animals need to be kept seperated from your established animals. Not all diseases are readily noticable. So a quarnatine period of 30 days is needed.

I would definitely take the surviving frogs to a vet. Where abouts are you? Maybe someone knows a good vet in your area.

Arabella

just an update: Everyone is doing better since being quarantined. They are getting their green color back and are moving around more. :-)

Thread Information