Thread: Vietnamese Blue Tree Frog?

Default Vietnamese Blue Tree Frog?

Does anyone know anything about these frogs? I can't find a proper scientific name for them, and the info that I have found is shotty at best. They look quite similar to White's tree frogs, just more blue in color and not as "dumpy". One person said in another forum that theirs goes through periods where it wont eat and lays on the ground, a friend that had one had the same experience, but that sounds like a calcium deficiency thing to me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Vietnamese Blue Tree Frog?

Not sure of the species, but the genus is Polypedates. They are in the family Rhacophoridae, ("foam-nest builders") native to Asia and Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripe46 View Post
    Does anyone know anything about these frogs? I can't find a proper scientific name for them, and the info that I have found is shotty at best. They look quite similar to White's tree frogs, just more blue in color and not as "dumpy". One person said in another forum that theirs goes through periods where it wont eat and lays on the ground, a friend that had one had the same experience, but that sounds like a calcium deficiency thing to me.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Greatwtehunter

Polypedates dennysi is the most common one sold under this name. These are also sold under the name giant Chinese gliding frog.

Nora

Does anyone know anything about these frogs?
    As stated by others this frog Goes by Polypedates dennysi - in some of the scientific texts it is listed as Rhacophorus dennysi.
    Common names for the frog include 'Blanford's Whipping Frog' and Chinese or Vietnamese Gliding Frog or Giant Tree Frog.
    The wild caught Polypedates Dennysi are the larger green ones. The Blue ones you describe are the ones that are actually captive ranched in Vietnam, though often sold as wc as well.

Here is a link to Bert Langerwerf's info on these guys and how he handled their breeding and care, it's the most I've been able to find in one place on the frogs in English. Chinese gliding tree frogs

Some links to the limited info I've been able to find:
    Rhacophorus dennysi

Amphibian Species of the World

AmphibiaWeb - Rhacophorus dennysi

One person said in another forum that theirs goes through periods where it wont eat and lays on the ground, a friend that had one had the same experience, but that sounds like a calcium deficiency thing to me.
    As far as captive care goes these guys are easy and in fact my favorite frog (I have the green myself - slightly larger than the blue but same basic care for both)

Individual keeper reports on these frogs (both the blue and the green) indicate that they are prone to spending periods of time described as 'parked' or 'camping out' on a specific plant or the ground for up to several weeks at a time, especially while growing.
    This seems to be triggered in some cases at least in response to a drop in temps or humidity. Mine did this back in September with no visible changes in habitat other than the shortening of daylight hours outside (habitat on timers). Not being the patients sort I waited a week and then bumped temps just a bit both day and night, increased the lighting on the tank to compensate for the change in natural ambient light in the room ad within 2 days of the changes the frog was up and active again. At the time the frog had only been in my care for a few months and I wasn't comfortable with the sudden change in behavior. If you were to attempt breeding it would likely be best to allow that cycle to occur naturally and follow with an artificial spring.

My dennysi has slowed down a few times but not to the extent it did last fall - when I left town for a few days (husband in charge while I was gone) the frog actually dug into the coco fiber bedding - since the provision of a sturdy sanservia in a rosette formation he hasn't hit the ground since and prefers to tuck himself in between the leaves fairly tight while 'camping out'.

Somewhere & unfortunately I can't find it right now I have a link to the ranch in Vietnam producing the blue dennysi - not much info was available and it was a pretty poor English translation to boot.

So other than bits and pieces of captive care strategy - that's what I know and have been able to find (much of which was gifted by a generous and well informed keeper on another forum). I am however always looking for more and different sources of information on these frogs so if you find any please pass it along.

Thread Information