Thread: Concerned about new amazon milk frogs

ejh805

Default Concerned about new amazon milk frogs

I got three baby Amazon milk frogs this morning. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  58.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  78.3 KB
    When I put them in the terrarium they were climbing around and being all adventurous. I put a cover over the three exposed sides of the enclosure for a couple hours so they could settle in a bit. I just came back and all three of them are on the floor. The temp reads 80 and humidity is about 55%, although the hygrometer is about 2/3rds up the side of the tank so I imagine its a bit higher lower down.

Are they sitting at the bottom due to stress from shipping? Or could it be that I need to raise humidity in the tank? Or is something possibly wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Concerned about new amazon milk frogs

Beautiful frogs! Give it time. The less movement you do the better. Yes may be due to the moist toweling they may like at the bottom. It could also be stress. Are they in a quarantined tank?

ejh805

I guess it's technically quarantined. They're all from the same supplier and they weren't introduced to any new frogs. I just threw in some crickets and a couple waxworks. They devoured them like little piggies. Then they went back up higher in the tank like before. Two of them at least lol. There's three but one of them always manages of hide out of site

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

If its only been a day i would just keep a close eye on them for the next 2 weeks to a month. You frogs seem very healthy and just prefer the moist conditions. THIS IS A MUST CHANGE: AMAZON is very humid... between 70-100 percent humidity. I also care for tropical frogs myself.. Your humidity needs to between 70-85%. In order to do this i would suggest misting a couple times a day. If that doesnt work look into getting a substrate that will hold in moisture. Like coconut fiber or Tree Fern. If that is not enough due to your dry moderate household.. Invest in an automatic mister / Fogger. Ya they are not cheap what so ever. But you also chose an INTERMEDIATE/ ADVANCED frog to take care of that needs to meet special needs. If you need further assistance let me know on my page. Even a moderator can help you just as well. =) I can get down to specifics with you. If you could also take a picture of your full terrarium. That would probably benefit with the advice people give you =). Good luck! -CJ

ejh805

Cj- Thanks very much for your input
    I do know that they need higher humidity. I believe it was reading low due to the doors being opened a few minutes prior to reading. The past couple days I have let it sit set up to monitor how the temps and humidity would do on a regular basis. Normally it reads right around 80. I do have a specific question though. You state they are an intermediate/advanced species. Many places where I've read care information on them has regarded them as a beginner species that need to be cared for similarly to whites tree frogs. I've been reading up on them for months and now I am genuinely hoping I didn't miss any vital care info. If you have any information on them that isn't found in many care sheets etc I would appreciate if you could help me along. I'm used to terrestrial frogs so I'm a lil nervous about my new babies

this is their enclosure. It's an 18x18x24. Josh's frogs stated its large enough for 2-4 adults.
    The plan is once they are larger, the bottom area will be a water feature rather than substrate so humidity should stay plenty high. Inside my house, humidity is probably in the high 50s just by itself, but I live in a very humid region.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Id just keep your humidity up. Yes I would look into getting a substrate other than moist paper towels. As I mentioned before tree fern or coconut fiber. Paper towels are generally really good for temporary transport / quarantine tanks. Other than that it looks like you have a great set up. Eventually if you want to challenge yourself. Look into getting a large leafy plant in the terrarium in combination with the artificial and see which ones they prefer to stay on. I noticed my tropical frogs preferred to stay on the glass rather than the artificial plants, so i invested in a few live plants. They love it. I like your rock bed though.. That is very unique and Ive never see that. Id say more intermediate level due to the moisture control. I have yet to see an advanced frog on a care sheet. But i would expect anything that needs running water/ live vivarium only frog would be in the advanced section. I like how your going to go into a water bottom. Just keep in mind they will need things to climb on in the water to prevent drowning just like the whites tree frog. Keep us posted on your frogs. But I'm sure they are just fine =) -CJ

8. This member thanks CJ PELCHER for this post:

ejh805

I actually have some pothos getting ready to be planted in the tank
    and when I do eventually go full aquatic, ill be putting in Brazilian pennywort and anubias.

Probably going to leave the paper towels in there for about a week so I can keep an eye on them easier and make sure they're defecating normally. Whenever the pothos cuttings shoot out some roots, I plan on switching to Eco earth and planting them

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds like you got a great handle on them Emily! Great work!

Thread Information