Thread: Behavior/lightbulb question

Gentlemangorath

Default Behavior/lightbulb question

So my new frogs seem to be doing well, but I'm still concernced over their tendency to stay in the den close to the bottom of the tank. I know they are still adjusting, it has only been two weeks, but I find them there very often, even at night when they should be active. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this behavior? I noticed that the temperature in the tank is a bit low, could that have something to do with it? I'm currently in Northern NY where it's still fairly cold, and the tank temp is about 62 F. I just changed the lightbulb out since I've had it for ages and thought this might help, swapping the default 9w flourescent for a 26w 2.0 compact flourescent bulb. Would this help with the temp, would a 5.0 compact bulb be better?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Behavior/lightbulb question

What type of frogs do you have? Are they even a tree frog? What does your enclosure have for live / artificial plant life? Humidity levels? That will determine some answers for you! Take photos. It helps tremendously.

Gentlemangorath

It's a 30x30x45 tank, two green tree frogs (forgot to mention, sorry), and the humidity is typically around 75-85%. I'm trying out a repti-glo 26w 2.0 compact bulb now, and it hasn't really raised the temp too much, and even dropped the humidity. I don't have any live plants in my tank, just a central driftwood log, a fair sized soaking dish, and two fake jungle plants on opposite sides of the tank.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ok for a green tree frog sitting at the bottom of the tank is pretty bad sign. I have 2 males of the same breed. They are always out and about. They are not a nocturnal species either. They are always out. You have a good sized tank from them. Humidity is perfect. Usually the light doesn't have to much of an impact. Whats the current Temperature? I would also suggest puting a large leaf plant in there (live). They may be caught in the wild and do not like the transition from live to artificial. Is it possible you can take a photo of your setup? -CJ

Gentlemangorath

I can't take a photo of the setup until after a class I'm in. And they actually are active, but they seem to prefer that den. And they're not directly on the substrate, it's just close to ground level. I think it may just be them being afraid of me, because they still sometimes jump back into the den whenever I come into the room/turn the light back on/open the tank. As a matter of fact, Boom, the smaller guy has actually been poking his head out of one of the openings today, but hiding when I come in. As for the plastic plants, they actually have been climbing/hiding in the plastic jungle plants when they're out, so I don't think that's the issue.

Thread Information