Thread: 12 X 12 X 18 starter Starry Night Reed frog viv

DemFluids

Default 12 X 12 X 18 starter Starry Night Reed frog viv

Hello, I am new to this forum, not new to the hobby.
    This is my 12 x 12 x 18 zoo med vivarium for 2.2(i believe) Starry Night Reed Frogs.

This is not their final enclosure, In a few weeks i will be taking it apart and adding a water area + waterfall to the bottom half of the tank, but for right now, they love it! Input is appreciated. Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default 12 X 12 X 18 starter Starry Night Reed frog viv

Your tank is beautiful! Such little guys you have. Any idea of what their adult colors will be yet?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

CPgrower

Default Re: 12 X 12 X 18 starter Starry Night Reed frog viv

Oh wow! I was wavering back and forth between some of these and the red eyes. I couldn't find a lot of info on the starry reeds, or reeds alone. If possible could you post a few more pictures of the frogs? Do you feed them crickets or are they so small they need fruit flies (I'm trying to avoid cultures). Thanks for the info.

As far as the tank goes: it's amazing! Great job. I like the sphagnum stuffed at the top! A good idea for closing gaps. You may see that in the one I'm building (*steals*). LOL! The water additions will really top it off for them! I don't doubt they love it.

Oh and welcome to the forum. I'm new as well.

DemFluids

Thank you for the compliments, i will post the step by step process I used to build the water area when the time comes to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Your tank is beautiful! Such little guys you have. Any idea of what their adult colors will be yet?
    Thank you! I am very pleased with it thus far. I need to make it more suitable for breeding which is why I am changing it in a few weeks. Here is some pictures of the adults when they mature. During the day, they have this awesome color, at night they turn into a standard brown/yellow.

The adult females look like this, and get about a inch and a half.

And then...The males look like this!!!
    Beautiful....

Quote Originally Posted by CPgrower View Post
    Oh wow! I was wavering back and forth between some of these and the red eyes. I couldn't find a lot of info on the starry reeds, or reeds alone. If possible could you post a few more pictures of the frogs? Do you feed them crickets or are they so small they need fruit flies (I'm trying to avoid cultures). Thanks for the info.

As far as the tank goes: it's amazing! Great job. I like the sphagnum stuffed at the top! A good idea for closing gaps. You may see that in the one I'm building (*steals*). LOL! The water additions will really top it off for them! I don't doubt they love it.

Oh and welcome to the forum. I'm new as well.
    For babies, they will most likely need fruit flies, but you may be able to get away with pinhead crickets (day old only)...The sub adults I have now are feeding dusted small (1/8") crickets. I have been using the orchid moss for my broms. Its nice for closing gaps because it looks nice, and I hate when crickets get behind the background, including the frogs...

They are the boldest of frogs I have ever kept, they eat during the day, are extremely acrobatic, and not afraid of being out. For instance, today I watched my male catch a falling cricket in mid air, then catch himself after falling 6" on the bottom leaf of a bromeliad. Fantastic little frogs to keep, so excited to breed them...

...I have red eyes as well, these guys are much more active during the day and at night, but not going to lie, I love red eyes, very few frogs will top them for me but these reeds come close!!!
    Their care is slightly different than the red eyes though, but def. a species looking into...Here is more pictures of the inhabitants!!!I cant wait until they develop their color = )

Female (I believe)

Male (I believe)

Difficult to get pictures of all of them....
    Enjoy.

Josh

Nationality
    [United States]

I cant wait to see the pictures as they grow, I hope you got at least one male they are really cool looking. Joshs Frogs had them this last summer and I was very tempted! Have fun with them.

DemFluids

Quote Originally Posted by helm96 View Post
    I cant wait to see the pictures as they grow, I hope you got at least one male they are really cool looking. Joshs Frogs had them this last summer and I was very tempted! Have fun with them.
    Thanks! I am 90% sure I got at least 1 male, coloration is starting to begin. Id be happy with 1.3 as well, but it looking like 2.2 : )

Nationality
    [United States]

If you ask me 2.2 is a pretty good ratio! I would be happy with that.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I always wanted some. Beautiful!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nationality
    [United States]

Great enclosure, healthy frogs, and nice pics !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information