Thread: High Basking spot.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default High Basking spot.

I'm VERY bored so i thought i'd start a convo lol.

What are your guys thoughts on offering higher basking spots for your corn snakes then the norm? I offer mine the option to bask as high as 110F give or take. Imo a snake would rather warm up faster and move on. So what are your thoughts on this?

Edit:I also wanna say please be open minded about this subject as i and several others were banned from a forum for disagreeing with the admin and her mighty vet and books lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: High Basking spot.

Honestly, poison, I don't mean to be rude, but this is not the Forum to be asking about Corn snakes. I doubt many of us here have any.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    Honestly, poison, I don't mean to be rude, but this is not the Forum to be asking about Corn snakes. I doubt many of us here have any.
    There are actually several snake owners on this forum and knowledgeable ones too. Those are the ones i am looking for. I have had this discussion on several other forums and figured why not post here?

Nationality
    [United States]

I have one snake, but it's not a corn. It's a rat snake and prefers cooler temps around the mid 70s and a higher humidity range, so I keep it in the same room as my dart frogs, who also prefer those temps, and only adjust the entire room temp. Because of this, I don't offer a basking light. He's almost a year old and has always had a great appetite and sheds normally.

I try to strictly adhere to the temperature and humidity ranges specified for any animal. With that being said, and with my non-existent noob knowledge of other snakes, I see basking as, 'let me chillax here and warm up.' Kind of like laying out on the beach (except they do it to regulate their body temps obviously). Offering a temperature range that is higher than they are normally use to, I would think, could be harmful. No? I'm thinking of it as stepping out of my house on a super hot summer day and getting quickly scorched by the sun (or once your skin touches hot leather seats!), which would leave me with feeling uncomfortable, too hot at once, and no time to properly regulate my temp.

Which leads me to ask:
    Does your corn snake ever bask in that area?
    What should its temperature and humidity range normally be?

If that basking area isn't too high of a temperature difference from what he would normally need (within 5 degrees-ish?), he has the option to come and go to cooler temp areas as he pleases, and he willingly spends time there, I don't see how that could be problematic.

I'm assuming this is a highly debatable topic then on snake forums? I have yet to join one. :P

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Nationality
    [United States]

What kind of rat snake is it? Corn snakes are a type of rat snake. And not providing heat seems like a bad idea to me. Reptiles need a hot side and cool side to thermoregulate. You are forcing your snake to stay at the same temp. If i were you i would get a thermostat and a temp gun and adjust the temps to your snakes liking.

And snakes have been found basking at much higher temps then what most of us keep them at in captivity. 110F is really not all that hot. It cant burn a snake or even a person. My snake also has the option to bask at much lower temps if he chooses.

Normal basking temp for a corn is around 85F. My snake does use the high basking spot daily as well as the lower temps. I keep my humidity around 60%.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    What kind of rat snake is it? Corn snakes are a type of rat snake. And not providing heat seems like a bad idea to me. Reptiles need a hot side and cool side to thermoregulate. You are forcing your snake to stay at the same temp. If i were you i would get a thermostat and a temp gun and adjust the temps to your snakes liking.
    It's a Thai Red Mountain Racer/Rat snake and requires cooler temps and higher humidity levels. Heat is always provided and no, it does not stay the same temperature all day every day. I also own and use a temp gun. The enclosure contains hides, a proper substrate measuring at least 2" in depth and areas of different moisture levels, etc., etc.

Back on topic: If the basking areas are of appropriate temps that the animal would naturally experience in the wild, the enclosure is large enough to allow such a temperature gradient, the animal is showing signs of good health and it is allowed to move freely in and out of the high temperature basking area, then I don't see a problem. I could see it becoming a problem if there isn't a gradient, but more of a jump in temperatures. As in, one area is 110 F and the only other area is 75 F.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information