Thread: Frog identification for a new frog caretaker.

Mason Staugler

Default Frog identification for a new frog caretaker.

We started an aquarium at work. My coworkers saw a tadpole swimming around the plants at the pet store and brought it back. When it turned into a frog I started a terrarium.

I think it's going well; I really like this frog! I want to make sure I'm taking proper care of it. Will you all please take a look at these photos and tell me what I've got?

When my coworkers got the tadpole the petstore employee said that it was a bullfrog tadpole, but I don't know if that was a careless identification or not.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11542...42707170692609

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Allistor

Default Re: Frog identification for a new frog caretaker.

I'm no expert but that does indeed look like some type of bullfrog to me.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It's an American bullfrog.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Mason Staugler

Thanks, Allistor! and thank you, Terry!

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes it is . Do you have a swimming area for her? They love to swim. Be sure to dechlorinate any water used for her. She's pretty .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Mason Staugler

No... I just read up on bullfrogs and they like a swamp, I guess. I just have her stuck in the smallest terrarium (so it'll fit on my desk at work). I've got some fake plants because she's skittish and likes to hide. When I change the water, I put some of the coconut substrate in it because she seemed to like it a little muddy. There's a lamp and I bought a humidifier that I run during the week (not on the weekend, since I'm not there).

I've been trying to think of a way to make a pond.

The pet store said that tap water's fine, but they don't care about my frog!!! Can I use the tap water conditioner that we have for the aquarium with the frog?

Nationality
    [United States]

You could put a nice sized water bowl in.

What type of water dechlorinator do you have? The chlorine and chloramines in tap water are toxic to frogs, just as they are with fish. Use treated water for the fogger too. You can use distillers water in the fogger, but not in the water bowl or for substrate.

Do you use calcium with vitamin D3 to lightly dust her food with? This is necessary too.

She is going to grow big. Perhaps you could start looking into a bigger tank for the near future? Maybe with a stand? That would be nice .

I have a big male albino American bullfrog. We call him Bully . We love him . Did you name yours? Yours appears to be a female from the size of her tympanum (ear). Females have smaller "ears", males have tympanums larger than their eyes and croak.

This is my big boy ...
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Mason Staugler

I put a camera on the terrarium overnight one night and the frog dragged a little bit of the moss in the water bowl. It looked like a big party, so I named it Slurms McKenzie in honor of The Original Party Worm.

That is a huge frog! How big is your enclosure? I'm a little concerned because I saw someone recommending a 100 gallon tank. I live in Manhattan and that's impossible. I may have been unprepared for this commitment.

Also...the pet store near my work does not possess any more live crickets. Slurms still has some left over from the weekend and I dropped in a few worms (all that were left alive in the can of '100' worms). Do you raise your own food?

Anyway, they're nice looking animals. I might have an affection growing for them; the frogs I've seen in photos see proud and maybe a little regal.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Staugler View Post
    I put a camera on the terrarium overnight one night and the frog dragged a little bit of the moss in the water bowl. It looked like a big party, so I named it Slurms McKenzie in honor of The Original Party Worm.

That is a huge frog! How big is your enclosure? I'm a little concerned because I saw someone recommending a 100 gallon tank. I live in Manhattan and that's impossible. I may have been unprepared for this commitment.

Also...the pet store near my work does not possess any more live crickets. Slurms still has some left over from the weekend and I dropped in a few worms (all that were left alive in the can of '100' worms). Do you raise your own food?

Anyway, they're nice looking animals. I might have an affection growing for them; the frogs I've seen in photos see proud and maybe a little regal.
    My Bully is in a 55 gallon tank currently. I am looking into getting him a 110. They can live in a 55, though its a bit small for an adult. If you have a good filter for the water, it should be okay. She should have a nice swimming pond. My tank is 75% pond and has an elevated side area for him to come out on.

I buy my crickets from the local pet store. You can buy crickets online if you'd like and they'll ship them to you, but earthworms/night crawlers are actually a great food for them. You'll need the calcium with vitamin D3 and multivitamin powder though. You should lightly dust every other feeding with the calcium and one day a week with the mvi. do not use the calcium and mvi on the same days. You can buy it online or in the reptile area of a pet store. Walmart sells worms...be sure the worms do not have and added dyes or scents added to them or they could poison your frog. I do raise and feed mine dubia roaches also. I feed him the soft, freshly shed ones. He loves them. They are his favorite.

They are pretty awesome! I love the speed and strength in them. So strong, yet smooth swimmers. Mine dives off his waterfall and rock cave and then glides across the whole pond. He's funny! After he realized he was safe in there, he started coming to the front glass and now watches is and the cats. He waits for his dinner on his rock cave. I never feed him over the gravel or near the plants. They are aggressive eaters and could accidentally eat any gravel, moss, or loose plants. I feed him on his rock where he can easily grab his food. He sits and looks at his rock every evening .

Yours is so cute! About how long would you estimate her to be?

Thread Information