Thread: uber noob

natemcnasty

Default uber noob

hi i've been currently keeping a reef tanks for about a year now.i wanted to venture into vivariums with frogs for a long time and after i saw the white's at are store(petsmart) i knew i needed it to i'm now setting up a 18x18x24 exo tera setup for one.

i like to post pics so here is my currant 24g reef

Kurt

Default Re: uber noob

Very nice. Its been a long time since I have worked with marine fish/invertebrates. Any fish in there?

natemcnasty

i have one long fin fairy wrass and one yellow watchmen goby. i'm trying to keep the fish load down so i can get good coral growth and color

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to the Forum!
    I think you'll find amphibians even more addicting than fish. hahah

natemcnasty

haha it's alot cheaper thats for sure

justin shockey

and better

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by natemcnasty View Post
    haha it's alot cheaper thats for sure
    You may want to look at some price list before making that statement. Especially dart frog price lists.

natemcnasty

i just spent $500 on my lighting and my cheapest fish i have in my tank is $45 i've spent well over $2000 on only a 24 gallon tank haha.so what i'm really trying to say isI HAVE NO LIFE. i'm not try to argue. i know this will be just as expensive just giving my self reasons why i should keep spending my mone hahaha

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I almost fell over with those figures. I feel you though, these are all expensive hobbies. Fish keeping is much farther along than reptile husbandry. You are probably correct though, this will be cheaper for you, unless you decide to build an enclosure with Nuerergus kaiseri, Dendrobates histrionicus, and Cruziohyla craspedopus. (Thats a really bad joke) I don't even have enough money to set a tank up at school right now. I suppose if I hadn't bought the camera and field hockey stick I would, but thats a whole other thing. Anyways, best of luck. You'll enjoy it.

Alex

natemcnasty

what kinda camera i just got a nikon d80! i will be going to school in the fall soon. so far everything i've gotin was free. at petsmart they where throwing away a 18x18x24" exotera so i picked that up out of the trash haha now i'm curanty building a false bottum and going to be buying some stuff for that. i'm kinda scared on howmuch i'll spend

natemcnasty

by the way i havn't siad how welcome i feel on here already! and i'm really lookin forward to getting know all of you and learing from the best!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I just got a D80 as well. Of course I had to get 2 additional lenses and a flash as well. Hahaha.

Thats quite the streak of luck you've got going. Maybe you'll stumble on some free frogs too (it happens pretty often).

Where are you going to school?

Kurt

Well, I guess compared to what you spent on the reef tank it won't be too bad. Just keep away Neurergus kaiseri, Ollotis alvaria, and a few others and it shouldn't be too bad. Of course N. kaiseri is technically not a frog. Its a newt.

natemcnasty

i got 2 lenses as well 18-55mm and a 55-200mm

i'm tryin to get into Augsburg

i already got 2 baby Australian dumpys in a holding tank is there any other types of animals i could put in there? i know it's not good to mix frogs and what not

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by natemcnasty View Post
    by the way i havn't siad how welcome i feel on here already! and i'm really lookin forward to getting know all of you and learing from the best!
    I think you will fit in fine. Welcome aboard if I haven't said so already.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I really recommend the 105mm Macro as well, it's an incredible lens.

What are you planning on studying?

natemcnasty

i'm going to go for a general biology major and see what i would like to specialize in as i go.

I WANT A MACRO LENS SOOOO FRICKIN BAD haha

Billy

Welcome! That is a gorgeous aquarium you got there. I love the look of saltwater aquariums, but they are too much work for me. I used to have a 75Gal Amazon tank that was fully planted, and was set up with black water. I love your aquarium.

justin shockey

that's pretty cool

Thread Information