Thread: Water phobia?

raspberryribbits

Default Water phobia?

Hi peeps everything seems to be going great with Peabody but I do have a quick question....for the 1st 3 days or so my pixie would hang out in water every morning and afternoon...well 4 the passed 3 or 4 days he almost avoids the water. I haven't changed anything I do or use...I use conditioned tap water that sits for a day b4 I use it or I use spring water, and I clean it everyday. I have an small air stone in the water...could that b the problem? I keep husk pretty wet....could he just be geting enough water from dinging down in the husk? He seems happy,active and still eats so should I even bother worrying?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Water phobia?

Quote Originally Posted by raspberryribbits View Post
    Hi peeps everything seems to be going great with Peabody but I do have a quick question....for the 1st 3 days or so my pixie would hang out in water every morning and afternoon...well 4 the passed 3 or 4 days he almost avoids the water. I haven't changed anything I do or use...I use conditioned tap water that sits for a day b4 I use it or I use spring water, and I clean it everyday. I have an small air stone in the water...could that b the problem? I keep husk pretty wet....could he just be geting enough water from dinging down in the husk? He seems happy,active and still eats so should I even bother worrying?
    Good morning,
    I will try to answer.
    I think you might be right about the air stone. Simply take it out and see what he dose?
    Is there a water in a dish ? or do you have a water area?

If it is a water dish it should it be cleaned daily in hot tap water and re-filled with de-chlorinated water.
    I use a product by exo-terra ( Aquatize) 8 drops /gallon. I simply save empty gallon distilled jugs and fill a bunch ahead of time. The de-chlor water should be used to damped substrate as well as the frog's soaking dish.

Husk? I do not keep Pacs, as far as I know .........cocoa fiber is preferred as these husk pieces can block up the frogs intestines causing an impaction ! Ouch !

The distilled water can be use to clean the glass and increase the humidity if ever needed.

Hope this helps for now
    A Pac pro will chime in soon to save us !
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

raspberryribbits

Thank u 4 the help...I do use cocoa fiber in my pixie tank...it's early and my brain and fingers were not workn 2gether yet I guess lol...I did take out stone and he has a water dish that I do clean daily...it takes up about a 3ed of the 55 gallon tank...I'm going 2 give it a clean and feed him and see what happens...thanx again 4 the input I will let u know if he starts usen water

Nationality
    [United States]

I believe Lynn figured out your problem.

You don't need an air stone for a small body of water. Removing it may fix the issue. How deep is the water?

raspberryribbits

waters prob 2 or 3 inches...it covers more then half up his back and he dunks his head under like a duck lol does that mean his waters not deep enough? I was worried about going 2 deep because I read they dont swim so I was trying 2 play it safe.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by raspberryribbits View Post
    waters prob 2 or 3 inches...it covers more then half up his back and he dunks his head under like a duck lol does that mean his waters not deep enough? I was worried about going 2 deep because I read they dont swim so I was trying 2 play it safe.
    That should be fine.

raspberryribbits

thanx so much 4 ur time...I took out the air stone and he did hang out 4 a few mins....its a start

raspberryribbits

Peabody has been in his water 4 like 2 hours now...I think he is happy with no air n water....thank u again 4 being here 2 help

cyris69

You shouldn't need an airstone unless keeping fish, and thats if you just have canister filter with no water agitation. For my 3 babies I have a ~10gal water area that is 6 inches deep and they love it.

raspberryribbits

Quick update...Peabody is loven the water now...croaked his lil butt off all night...best sound ever and he even molted this morning while he was hangn out n the water...I'm thinkn he is a happy frog now...thanx again!

bullfrog1986

do yours burrorw himself completly undeground yet? aint seen mine for a couple of days now..

raspberryribbits

Mine has not gone all underground yet...when he does burrow he always has his heas all out...he pushes fiber away from front like he is closterphobic lol he doesn't burrow much ether...mayb few hours at night and n afternoon...he plops out right on top of cocoa fiber under a fake plant or in his water.

bullfrog1986

he might later on or something

annawolv1010

i got a pixie yesterday and i was just wondering how they molt and how often they do it?

raspberryribbits

Well annawolv1010 I really don't know how often they molt....I had watched a video on YouTube of some1s frog molting the day b4 my Peabody did it, that's only reason I knew what was going on. They start moven there body all strange, kinda like stretches and keep opening there mouth real big and pawing there heads like washing there face...they suck n the skin 2 eat and all this movement helps work skin off and it's very good 4 them 2 eat it so don't worry...being wet helps them get this done...mine did it in this water in about 7 mins...the YouTube video was about 11 mins if you wanna go find it...hope I helped some

Thread Information