Thread: Best Method for Feeding Worms?

Hoppity100

Unhappy Best Method for Feeding Worms?

Okay, I just spent 45 minutes offering meal worms and only 1 frog took one from my tongs. Either they cannot see in the evening next to a light, or are not hungry from finishing crickets recently, or don't like these worms anymore, or worms are too small (this batch was). I tried putting worms on a rock, then floating them on a piece of plastic covered with a flat leaf, then dangling them, then on edge of water container, then on another rock, etc. I kept trying but 3 did not care. Earthworms just do not work because they are too big and when cut do not wiggle very long, mealworms crawl right off rocks, wax worms don't move sometimes. Used to be I'd drop one in front of each frog and they'd eat. I have small lids I can put worms in except they crawl out before frogs can find them. Only thing left is to tape them each to wall of tank? I tried this in the morning and same thing. Guess I'll be heading up to the store tomorrow for crickets, snow or not. Anyone have this situation?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Best Method for Feeding Worms?

Honestly, I'd use earthworms, not mealworms. Mealworms and superworms are hard for a frog to digest, and can cause impaction. However, it is your choice, not mine. But I still prefer to feed my frogs earthworms. They're more nutritious than mealworms, too.

It could be because the worms are too small. That, or your frogs are picky. How big are your frogs?
    You can cut earthworms into pieces ( Not fun, but since it's for the frogs, I do it) and then feed them. Maybe, if they stop moving, poke them with the prongs. Also, make sure they are on land so the worm doesn't drown.

Gutloaded crickets have always been the staple diet for my frogs. Earthworms and (for the short time I used mealworms) mealworms are only supplements.

A picture of the setup would also be handy.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Hoppity100

Default Re: Best Method for Feeding Worms?

I'd rather use earthworms and got them at Walmart but they were so big I had to cut them into pieces (yuck) then they ofcourse did not wiggle very long, frogs don't notice them in time. I like using wax worms alot more than mealworms. I used mealworms at first because the pet store said that's what they use, and I later began alternating worms with crickets. Every time I bought meal or wax worms I'd have to open at least 6 containers to find live ones. My frogs are 2.5" (body) then with four legs out straight they're probably 4+ inches long, have had them a little less than a year. I tried placing worms on the land with eco earth on it then realized its not a good idea if frogs ingested eco earth. If I put worms on a rock they crawl away before frogs see them. Lately dangling has not worked. So, after seeing the snowy forecast for Friday I got crickets today. This way frogs can eat at their leisure. How big are your frogs and did you get them as babies? I wonder how fast they grow and maximum size?

Thread Information